joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moore, OK Tornado 5/20/2013

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn... From TWC.

Yeah the part of the path they were in were supposedly well built brick homes that are just rubble. High end EF 4 seems likely at a minimum and seeing some of the slabs wiped clean suggests this is one heck of a tornado.

Honestly, if you don't have a basement, and are told you have to be below ground to survive, like was the case today, are you supposed to just sit there and die? Sorry, if it's coming directly at me, I'm taking my chances and running.

I remember seeing reports of roads jammed up earlier and the tornado slicing through all that, so some of those people were likely killed. It's so chaotic at a time like that, in the mid afternoon hours when people are all out and about, that it's hard to know what to do. I'd probably hunker down in as secure a place as I could and pray. Trying to run from a mile plus wide tornado and risking being overrun out in the open to me isn't the greatest idea.

Forbes is discussing "missles" (large flying projectiles) that indicate this was probably an EF5...points out a petroleum tanks that likely weighs tons and was flown in. With as many assessments as he has done, its informative to hear him discuss it.

Forbes is discussing "missles" (large flying projectiles) that indicate this was probably an EF5...points out a petroleum tanks that likely weighs tons and was flown in. With as many assessments as he has done, its informative to hear him discuss it.

Saw that on camera and it almost look like a chemical tanker from a train. It was huge and surely didn't belong where it was sitting.

I am very curious to see. The large block of homes swept away along SW 14th Street seem to be all small wood frame homes, rather than brick, so i'm not sure how that will register. I am sure there have been instances of incredible damage that have not been discovered. I have seen images of areas in Moore today where the ground has been scoured to mud, with no grass left. That is a fairly strong indicator of EF5 intensity.

I know this has been commented on before, and I know the odds are still ridiculous of being struck again, but I really think I'd have to think twice about staying if I lived in Moore.  3 major (and 4 if you count the tornado in 1998) tornadoes including  (possibly/preliminary) 2 EF 5 in less than 20 years?  The chances of that have to be absolutely astronomical.  Not to mention even if you weren't in the path of any new storms, if you were under a watch or a PDS watch, I don't know how you could make it through the day without thinking you're gonna get nailed and have a nervous breakdown.  I'd have to seriously think about relocating.  Couldn't imagine going through this time after time.

I am very curious to see. The large block of homes swept away along SW 14th Street seem to be all small wood frame homes, rather than brick, so i'm not sure how that will register. I am sure there have been instances of incredible damage that have not been discovered. I have seen images of areas in Moore today where the ground has been scoured to mud, with no grass left. That is a fairly strong indicator of EF5 intensity.

Forbes also mentioned he saw a piece of curb impaled in a lawn. That would take a tremendous amount of power to shear a piece of curb from a road, just unbelievable. 

I know this has been commented on before, and I know the odds are still ridiculous of being struck again, but I really think I'd have to think twice about staying if I lived in Moore.  3 major (and 4 if you count the tornado in 1998) tornadoes including  (possibly/preliminary) 2 EF 5 in less than 20 years?  The chances of that have to be absolutely astronomical.  Not to mention even if you weren't in the path of any new storms, if you were under a watch or a PDS watch, I don't know how you could make it through the day without thinking you're gonna get nailed and have a nervous breakdown.  I'd have to seriously think about relocating.  Couldn't imagine going through this time after time.

I was thinking the same thing and just noticed this on the NWS SPC:

C00tS3U.jpg

Archived