Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Memorial Day Weekend Coastal/Snow

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pfreak pretty much nails events that have anything to do w upslope. The winds were clearly to northerly, bright banding over champain valley sort of was a give away. His knowledge of the n greens ftw. If this low was 200 miles north , upslope communities would be powerless and have well over a foot down to 1500.

Actually Marshfield VT had 4" of snow at 1600' so those elevations did get it. Good to see.

However I think it's more localized in the favored upslope areas.

Marshfield is more in eastern VT I think and same with Walden. They seemed to get into the best snow with NH. I think we were all wrong in hitting the wrong upslope area of the western slopes and Spine...what happened was N and NE winds may have upsloped into the highlands there in NE VT. There is a smaller spine of high terrain there that runs through Walden down into the Orange Heights that does really well on NE winds.

This was a bust in the NW upslope areas. The snow never accumulated below 2000ft on the Spine judging from webcams and reports. The main reason is we never got the flow going. This morning it is just starting to become a favorable NW flow and I bet we see the NW upslope areas fill in and start to produce heavier/steadier precip.

The low became cut-off too far south for good Spine upslope. It sat all day yesterday around CON's latitude and we needed it more up at FVE latitude. That's what I am taking away from this in the VT spine area. If we got a pure NW flow instead of due north yesterday, that added cooling and upslope could've really hammered the Spine and west slopes.

Marshfield is more in eastern VT I think and same with Walden. They seemed to get into the best snow with NH. I think we were all wrong in hitting the wrong upslope area of the western slopes and Spine...what happened was N and NE winds may have upsloped into the highlands there in NE VT. There is a smaller spine of high terrain there that runs through Walden down into the Orange Heights that does really well on NE winds.

This was a bust in the NW upslope areas. The snow never accumulated below 2000ft on the Spine judging from webcams and reports. The main reason is we never got the flow going. This morning it is just starting to become a favorable NW flow and I bet we see the NW upslope areas fill in and start to produce heavier/steadier precip.

The low became cut-off too far south for good Spine upslope. It sat all day yesterday around CON's latitude and we needed it more up at FVE latitude. That's what I am taking away from this in the VT spine area. If we got a pure NW flow instead of due north yesterday, that added cooling and upslope could've really hammered the Spine and west slopes.

Yeah it's almost like ern VT did better perhaps due to what you mentioned. I thought the wrn slopes at least would do better...Figured Jay Peak would clean up.but thought Stowe et al would. Ern VT and NH did better than I thought. 

Pfreak pretty much nails events that have anything to do w upslope. The winds were clearly to northerly, bright banding over champain valley sort of was a give away. His knowledge of the n greens ftw. If this low was 200 miles north , upslope communities would be powerless and have well over a foot down to 1500.

I wish it could've worked out like April 26, 2010...that was a pure NW flow under a deformation zone and led to the 15-30" amounts of heavy wet damaging snow. But that storm slowed to a crawl further north as it went through ME and into southern Quebec.

The red flag to me yesterday was seeing the low level precip echos traveling due north to south. There was no cross-barrier movement of echos and the modeled streamlines never really had that cross barrier flow developing until 12-18z today.

Meanwhile, that N/NE wind flow from SFC-H85 bombs the High Peaks of in the northeastern Dacks...and I think that's why Whiteface got like two feet. The prolonged NE flow at H85 actually upsloped the eastern Adirondacks instead of the west side of the Greens.

Models did have winds coming around to NNW near and below 925mb which made me think the typical upslope areas would do well, but just not enough I guess. Still impressive to see Coles Pond get crushed like that. That Marshfield total was what I thought the Stowe area may look like..:just a different spot in VT. The overall event went well.

Yeah it's almost like ern VT did better perhaps due to what you mentioned. I thought the wrn slopes at least would do better...Figured Jay Peak would clean up.but thought Stowe et al would. Ern VT and NH did better than I thought.

Yeah TBH, I didn't look at it as closely as I should have in the prior days. I let some excitement get in the way of not really thinking about the exact location of the cut-off mid level centers and the SFC low....it was all just a bit too far south to get the winds backed to NW flow (until today and you can see it'll probably hit the west slopes with precip today but too little too late). Now in January it wouldn't really matter because it would just keep snowing all day today after everyone else in New England dries out, but in mild boundary layer temps the west slope and spine will just end up with an extra day of light rain/mist/drizzle. The NW upslope areas will have precip linger the longest today but that's only a congrats in winter, not Memorial Day weekend when you need big mid level forcing to even consider flakes.

Models did have winds coming around to NNW near and below 925mb which made me think the typical upslope areas would do well, but just not enough I guess. Still impressive to see Coles Pond get crushed like that. That Marshfield total was what I thought the Stowe area may look like..:just a different spot in VT. The overall event went well.

Yeah agreed on all accounts...it would've worked out though if the whole package was like 100-150 miles north yesterday, but I'm really stoked for the NH posters that got snow. I love the fact that they stole it out from the west side upslope areas ;). And it shows that the track of the H5 closed low really is important in late season events. They were underneath it and it brought snow down to the SFC even with real marginal H85 temps.

Even looking at the BTV VAD right now, the flow is a better NNW but not optimal NW even yet...though it should come around throughout the day.

If it were winter, this is the type of day where everyone else clears and dries a bit, while the spine/ski areas/west slopes picks up a fluffy 3-6" out of 0.1-0.25" NW flow QPF to pad the storm totals....but on Memorial Day Weekend it just means hang yourself in wind-blown small droplet sheet drizzle/rain produced in low level upslope flow.

Yeah agreed on all accounts...it would've worked out though if the whole package was like 100-150 miles north yesterday, but I'm really stoked for the NH posters that got snow. I love the fact that they stole it out from the west side upslope areas ;). And it shows that the track of the H5 closed low really is important in late season events. They were underneath it and it brought snow down to the SFC even with real marginal H85 temps.

H5 track and banding is everything in late season events. Not only if the lift neede to help cool the column, melting is a big piece of the puzzle because the atmosphere cools due to energy being "used" to melt snow. Heavier precip=more melting=cooler air.

Nice job on this BTW. You know the area.

It's 10:30am and just got power back after a 12 hour outage. What a great storm! I had 2 1/4" of snow at 1100 feet and

just drove to the top of my hill and there is 3-4" on the ground now. 2 pictures attached from this AM. Around my pond you can see the trees bent although the snow is all melted off.

Yesterday we had steady rain in the morning with temps steady in the low 40's. The afternoon we drysloted with cloudy skies and temperatures slowly fell to 40F as the rain began around 6pm. In the early evening the rain started mixing with snow and the temperatures feel more quickly. At around 36F we changed to giant parachutes with moderate snow. Snow became heavy as temperatures fell to 33F. I had 3 lightning strikes during the heavy snow and picked up a quick

1" within a 15 to 20 minute period. Snow then became light again around 10pm and the temperature went back up to 34F. We had a second round around 11pm of moderate to heavy snow with the temp falling back to 32.8F. Another quick inch. At that time I took a short

ride and the tree branches were really sagging. We were at the point that if we had another 1/2" of snow we would

started having damage. We lost power at this time. Snow let up again and temperature rose to 34F-35F. We had a third round in the early morning hours but was mixed precip. Ground remained covered with snow at my elevation till

around 10am this AM but its going quickly. Last evening with the 2 very heavy snowbands would have been very impressive in January no less the end of May!

post-268-0-71921300-1369579056_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-55209900-1369579067_thumb.jpg

Okay guys I am going to post this on the off chance any of you have heard of such a thing. My neighbor just stopped by and asked me if I saw the strange phenomena last night during the storm. She said after the power went out and during the heavy snow she took her dog for a short walk on our dirt road. She said in the trees there were thousands of sparkling lights. At first she thought a branch was resting on the powerline but no it was not that. She said it seemed to her thousands of fire flies had come out during the storm. I nodded and grinned but was thinking the lady has gone nuts. I have no explanation and just can't believe her story but the neighbor has always been sane. Some type of St Elmos's fire? I have no idea and hesitated posting this but it was just such a weird conversation. We did have thundersnow so there were convective elements in the storm. Don't have to muck up the thread with a response unless someone has heard such a thing!

Maybe kev gets a nice round of showers w that batch passing the south shore. I just hope he packd the fam cold wx gear even thou he thought south flow and humid and 60's

lol.  Wasn't he going to the cape?

That's all he talked about on his FB post - the cape.  So I am assuming that was his point of interest due to him being there.

Archived