Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Memorial Day Weekend Coastal/Snow

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the accumulations were confined to above 2000'....esp 2500'. A little higher than I thought at first...probably partly related to this being not the most classic form of upslope...but impressive regardless. Can't believe even Dendrite got half inch or so. If anything the Lakes region overachieved in that one band which goes to show you how important it was to get heavy precip rates. 

Looks like the accumulations were confined to above 2000'....esp 2500'. A little higher than I thought at first...probably partly related to this being not the most classic form of upslope...but impressive regardless. Can't believe even Dendrite got half inch or so. If anything the Lakes region overachieved in that one band which goes to show you how important it was to get heavy precip rates.

It was just insane last night for 2-3 hours. There were basically 2 bands of accumulating snow, but the lull allowed some of it to melt so the 2nd band pretty much just recovered what was lost from the 1st.

It's pretty easy to see when the 2 occurred...

post-3-0-85482300-1369568073_thumb.jpg

I just wish some of it had survived until daylight. It's amazing, but if you fast forwarded this storm a week to June 1 and account for the climo increase in temps, I think it still may have at least mixed here. I have a few more pics, but they're on the gf's cam...she'll have to upload them.

Awesome!  That same band is coming through here now, but it has weakened, and we're just getting some 39 degree sprinkles.

If we could just get some heavier precip here, I could possibly see some flakes mixing down. 

I think you were talking about this area - I think it moved just east of us and Coventry around 0220.  I woke up at 0230 and as you can see it was over in Stafford Springs so I can't say for certain but There's a chance that this had some mixing in it.  Those same echo intensities were mixing in flakes to our north so I don't see why not.

In looking at the radar loop over night, it looks like some nice returns moved through Worcester and parts of central Mass...anyone see any flakage there?

That's actually what surprised me was the lack of consistent rates across a wider area.  I know it was all about the meso banding but it seemed really narrow.  I think a winder variety of places like could have seen mixing over night like NH did if the bands had been a little larger.  A lot of western areas seemed pretty "dry" after the early stuff yesterday.

I would suppose this would have been that place that it was reported, but I know that Greenfield saw flakes in the one band between 2-4 that rotated through Mass. and I'm wondering how many other people saw flakes from that.

It was just insane last night for 2-3 hours. There were basically 2 bands of accumulating snow, but the lull allowed some of it to melt so the 2nd band pretty much just recovered what was lost from the 1st.

It's pretty easy to see when the 2 occurred...

image.jpg

I just wish some of it had survived until daylight. It's amazing, but if you fast forwarded this storm a week to June 1 and account for the climo increase in temps, I think it still may have at least mixed here. I have a few more pics, but they're on the gf's cam...she'll have to upload them.

I wonder if those mtns you can see just off exit 23 to the NW are coated white still. That was an awesome event for you and Wxeye.

CON reported no snow, but I'm pretty sure a human observer would've reported some mixing in around 3z based on their obs and the obs from our Bow friends.

SPECI KCON 260206Z AUTO 32010G19KT 9SM -RA BKN014 OVC034 03/02 A2977 RMK AO2 P0002

SPECI KCON 260248Z AUTO 31010KT 5SM RA BR BKN008 OVC017 01/01 A2976 RMK AO2 P0009

METAR KCON 260251Z AUTO 32008G15KT 6SM RA BR BKN008 OVC019 01/01 A2976 RMK AO2 SLP081 P0010 60010 T00110006 50002

SPECI KCON 260311Z AUTO 31008KT 8SM -RA SCT008 OVC032 01/01 A2976 RMK AO2 P0002

METAR KCON 260351Z AUTO 33008KT 10SM -RA FEW010 OVC038 02/01 A2975 RMK AO2 SLP075 P0004 T00220011

That's actually what surprised me was the lack of consistent rates across a wider area. I know it was all about the meso banding but it seemed really narrow. I think a winder variety of places like could have seen mixing over night like NH did if the bands had been a little larger. A lot of western areas seemed pretty "dry" after the early stuff yesterday.

I would suppose this would have been that place that it was reported, but I know that Greenfield saw flakes in the one band between 2-4 that rotated through Mass. and I'm wondering how many other people saw flakes from that.

I bet a lot of places in CT and ORH area had at least mixing, but the time of night makes it tough to report since most are sleeping. It definitely was cold enough so long as precip rates are sufficient.

Yeah, I watched in amazement as that happened during the October 2011 storm... it's unreal how little snow it takes for trees to snap.

Easier in October than in May, when the trees are full of sap and more limber. By October, much of the water is gone, in prep for winter. However, trees that weakened during winter get found out once foliage fills in, usually by the first strong winds of late spring. This time it's a bit different. lol

Only got down to 40 here, too far east for the real fun. 2nd straight cocorahs report with just over 1", May now up to 6.58".

I bet a lot of places in CT and ORH area had at least mixing, but the time of night makes it tough to report since most are sleeping. It definitely was cold enough so long as precip rates are sufficient.

Yeah....I had an area go through about 10 minutes before I woke up that probably did and probably just missed a couple of our other posters.

2003 was pretty crappy. Other chilly Memorial Day weekends include 1877, 1883, 1884, 1887, 1888, 1889, 1890, 1896, 1901, 1907, 1917, 1925, and 1930. Some of those featured at least one day with highs stuck in the 40s. As one might guess many of those weekends had lots of rain.

Thanks for this post. Was it colder around NYC metro yesterday then 2003?

I almost feel like I have to remove the winter portion of this thread since it really deserves its own...a daunting challenge that I don't want to tackle yet...

Yikes... that is daunting. You really could just toss the first 15 pages of this thread which is Kevin talking to himself about 70s and sun on the Cape and start from that point on and rename it Memorial Day snow. 

Archived