Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Memorial Day Weekend Coastal/Snow

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Powderfreak, I am on a ridge just east of Newfound Lake or about 8 miles SW of downtown Plymouth NH. Brian is about 20 miles due south of me I would guess. Looks like another intense band inbound for our area.

Oh nice... yeah you guys could get smoked by that next band that just moved across Squam Lake.  Congrats and enjoy.  Track and watch a snowfall on May 25th is one for the memory bank.

Oh nice... yeah you guys could get smoked by that next band that just moved across Squam Lake.  Congrats and enjoy.  Track and watch a snowfall on May 25th is one for the memory bank.

Powderfreak, this is payback time. All winter I see your posts about upslope snow when I get nothing here on the downslope side. So its nice for a change to have this little historic event in my backyard!

Snow picking up again 33.6F

Powderfreak, this is payback time. All winter I see your posts about upslope snow when I get nothing here on the downslope side. So its nice for a change to have this little historic event in my backyard!

That is true it was tough this winter for some of us!!

Radar looks really nice for you guys with that little pivot point and swirl...  I'm not exactly sure where you are or wxeye, but know you guys are somewhere in the vicinity of the I-93 corridor west of the lake.

There will be a weenie jackpot area west and north of the lake, lol.

May25_GYX_10pm_radar.gif

I'm on the SW tip of that I93 logo that is covered in precip.

Haha, well enjoy it dude.  It really is amazing for you guys in NH while most sites in VT at comparable elevations seem to be raining or non-accumulating wet snow. 

And looking at the progs, it must be so marginal and isothermal... the most recent RAP model showing H85 temps valid at 11pm has you guys right on the 0C freezing line:

You must be taking advantage of being directly under or on the NW flank of the deep/closed mid-level lows.  Getting that H5 closed circulation to track overhead seems to be key in these marginal late season events.  I remember the May 18, 2002 event when I was living in Albany, NY and we got 3", the H5 closed low went right overhead as well.

Fascinating storm as spokes of intense vorticity rotate around the closed circulation.  You can see those spokes clearly on radar as the bands coming in off the Atlantic.

36 yes in bow, hasn't been all snow but constant flakes mixed in. Nothing out your way?

Cool, same temp here.  35.8.   Just waiting for that band up near your 'hood.

Perfect night for a Jebwalk.  Late May, but who cares!

lol Dendrite... wonder what GYX has forecast for your area in terms of snow.  My guess is this is exceeding that forecast.

Yeah, but it's all good. I gave up on snow after the recent model runs too. I see Arnold perusing...you guys have any amounts coming in Mike or are you not working?

Back to moderate snow and temp dropped from 33.6F to 33.1F with the enhanced QPF. Great snow growth, just huge flakes. With temps around freezing the ridges should be very white tomorrow morning unless temps inch up later tonight.

It's diving on in here again too...RASN mix right now and up to 34.3.

Yeah, but it's all good. I gave up on snow after the recent model runs too. I see Arnold perusing...you guys have any amounts coming in Mike or are you not working?

Oh yeah, you could never forecast stuff like that.  Its all so precipitation rate dependent (at least accums) so I bet accumulations vary quite a bit from one spot to another, even at similar elevations.  You'd never be able to nail that down.

Oh yeah, you could never forecast stuff like that.  Its all so precipitation rate dependent (at least accums) so I bet accumulations vary quite a bit from one spot to another, even at similar elevations.  You'd never be able to nail that down.

Yeah. Look at the little area of 32-33 thumpage in C NH during the peak of it here. Dynamic cooling FTW.

post-3-0-63981300-1369536319_thumb.jpg

I'm surprised Montpelier/MPV hasn't switched over at the ASOS at 1,200ft. They are 34/33 and -RN with 0.11" in the bucket last hour. Most other spots seemed to change over or at least mix at 35-37F.

So MPV is -RN at 34/33, while SLK is -SN at 38/35.

I am across the valley from MPV and we have had snow here for at least the last hour or so though it has tapered off. 32.4F

Cool, same temp here. 35.8. Just waiting for that band up near your 'hood.

Perfect night for a Jebwalk. Late May, but who cares!

Pretty much all snow up the street from here at 900ft thermo in car said 34/35 up there but no jebwalking for me up there right now, felt like you were saying like a legitimate noreaster. Little less windy at my place down the hill a few hundred feet.

Got bright banding?

Can't complain on May 25th, but it is too bad the flow hasn't been more NWly this evening... wind is still out of the north in the lower levels which is enhancing the precipitation due to Champlain Valley convergence, but all its really doing is make it rain a little harder over the eastern Champlain Valley.  The enhancement is too far west for the higher terrain to really benefit, until the winds back more NW and allow that meso-scale band to migrate east-ward over the high terrain.

May25_1030pm_BTV_radar.gif

I am across the valley from MPV and we have had snow here for at least the last hour or so though it has tapered off. 32.4F

Looks like the ASOS finally reported "unknown precipitation" so it must be mixing or just confused on what is coming out of the sky.  I can't believe you are down to 32F, that's nuts.

Archived