Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The early speculation on winter 2013-14

weathafella

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup same deal in SNE..Sig snows in Oct lead to awful winters

I would have thought you learned your lesson after your God-awful claim about March no longer being a winter month.

Nevermind that 2 posts up I just explained there was no correlation here.

The sample set is so small though. How many "siggy" storms have you had in October?

I've used measureable as "siggy storms" in October. Usually it takes some real snowfall to get measurable in a marginal October atmosphere/warm ground.

For ORH, its 13 events since 1950 and the average of those 13 years is almost dead on the long term climo.

If you want to cherry pick the sample to big time snowstorms (like over 4 inches), then you reduce your sample size to exactly 3 years...which is beyond obviously insufficient datapoints to draw any type of correlation or conclusions.

Puking on the car was '09...it was an OK winter in the interior and SE MA areas...BOS up to NE MA got kind of screwed...and the CT Valley.

Oh yeah I remember it well, but I'd take that over the disaster two winters ago anytime.

I'll never forget that. Three wine coolers in three hours and he was legless. The guy became a SWFE on the drivers side panel.

Anyone want to explain a physical connection between whether a storm dumps more than the arbitrarily decided amount of 3" of snow during the month of October at the Boston airport, and the quality of the winter that follows in southern New England?

Not going to happen in weenie-ville.

Essentially the correlation is the same as this:

I purchased a new car in fall of 2002. That winter of 2002-2003 was great.

I purchased an SUV in the fall of 2009. That winter of 2009-2010 was the worst in 20 years up here.

Therefore, winters following a purchase of an SUV are awful, while I should consider buying a new sedan more often because that one winter was great.

Looks like we've got ourselves an El nino this winter..please keep it weak

*** SIGNIFICANT SEASONAL DEVELOPMENT *** More and More data shows at least a WEAK El Nino developing as we move into the Autumn and Winter.

WHY IS THAT IMPORTANT? Weak to Moderate El Nino events OFTEN produce at least " Average winters" with respect to temperatures and snowfall over the central and eastern portions of the country.. And if other factors come to play ... weak to Moderate El Nino winters sometime produce Below Normal temperatures and Above Normal snowfall for the central and eastern portions of the country.

The key point is that the El Nino event stays weak to moderate. Once El Nino event crosses the "moderate level" threshold and begins to approach the strong El Nino threshold ... Then there is a significant shift towards LESS snow and a milder winter. ( There is no sign of Moderate to strong El NIno developing . I am just pointed out this fact so you can get a better understanding of the overall impact).
539087_565646486815947_1956277163_n.jpg

Weak Nino sounds right but Nino is not the player here this winter. -AO/NAO with some pac energy is a beautiful thing

Well if Nino got strong enough to be officially weak, then Nino would become a big player. It would enhance the probability of PNA ridging and potentially get a weak STJ going. Those factors could be enormous for snowfall potential.

Archived