• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2013 Banter

WilkesboroDude

So you would define banter as everything not related to weather? If that is the case then half of these threads need to be moved to the correct topic. I think there has to be some leeway here when you have weenies choosing to post in banter (supposedly a non expert environment) and avoid having their posts assailed in the main threads because they lack clarity or expertise. Maybe we need a weenie thread for all things weenie weather!

...this isn't Facebook or Twitter.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is virtually impossible to have a real conversation with people who believe in Global Warming. I've never encountered a believer of that religion yet who wasn't eager to descend into name-calling, ad hominem, or anything else to avoid an honest debate of the issue. 

The truth of the matter is that we are currently in an Ice Age called the Quaternary glaciation an are in an interglacial called the Holocene. It is only a matter of time before we return to a much colder climate. 

...this isn't Facebook or Twitter.

Thats total BS. I'm certainly not defending Metallica but instead the principle of being able to discuss freely in banter. If you dont want this thread to mimic facebook or twitter then I suggest you start reporting everyone here that chooses to discuss tv shows, sporting events, etc.

Your reaction to this is really over the top.

Thats total BS. I'm certainly not defending Metallica but instead the principle of being able to discuss freely in banter. If you dont want this thread to mimic facebook or twitter then I suggest you start reporting everyone here that chooses to discuss tv shows, sporting events, etc.

Your reaction to this is really over the top.

Disagree.  Sorry, bud.

Lmao. You have issues sir. Put me on ignore if you are tired of me. Best way around that. Immature people these days.

When you're telling multiple people to put you on ignore, that's an issue for the board. I shouldn't have to ignore several trolls to enjoy my time spent here like I have in the past. That ignore feature is the worst, gives people like you and wilkes an excuse to continue to annoy and troll only to get a rise out of people, then tell them to ignore. Your posts also still show up with "this person is on ignore, see their post anyway?"....no I would not like to see their post anyway, that's why they are on ignore. What is the point of posting on this forum if you want people to put you on ignore??? You're a troll, that's the point.

Wow. Never knew posting in a banter thread was that serious. So what you guys are saying is that when you all are discussing Duke University or what basketball teams you all are discussing is trolling? I don't see where I am trolling at. Because I post lol after a lot of post? Is that it? How is that trolling because I'm laughing at something?

I'm pretty excited about the upcoming basketball season!  Duke's looking good bringing in Jabari Parker from the Chicago area...

(Okay, that was intentional trolling...)

;)

Lighten up, gentlemen!  Life is good!  Enjoy it!  Rain is falling.  It's spring.  Winter will soon be here.  Maybe forever, if we're in the glacial period.

(Okay, okay, that was intentional trolling again...)

:P  :P

Back to regularly scheduled programming...

(No banning, please.)

A troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

We've had this conversation before. Explain how you can get off topic in a banter thread. According to the definition and you all, I'm disrupting normal on topic discussion when the topic is banter.

That makes sense.

I think what we see from MetalMan is a cry for help.  It seems he has never seen any weather :)  All he wants is some stories about weather, and why it never reaches him.  It sounds like all he has seen is gentle rains, of 4 or 5 inches, gentle zephyrs of 40 or 60 mph, and lots of baking sun.  The rest of weather has escaped him, and he wonders if GW  might be to blame.  No, TinMan, I think the blame is at the feet of that windowless basement you won't leave.  Go into the swamp, TinMan, with a tent and a rasher of bacon, and stay there for 6 months, then go buy another tent, for the gators will have ruined that one, trying to get your bacon, and camp in the mountains for 6 months, and at the end of the year you will have seen some weather, I promise, lol.  T

A troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

We've had this conversation before. Explain how you can get off topic in a banter thread. According to the definition and you all, I'm disrupting normal on topic discussion when the topic is banter.

That makes sense.

Drop it. Everyone already has their opinion on trolling and we won't change it here.  

Despite what many say, everything does not fit the definition of banter.  Actually your climate question did not. Of course most posts don't fit the definition.

ban·ter  
/ˈbantər/

Noun
The playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks.

Verb
Talk or exchange remarks in a good-humored teasing way: "the men bantered with the waitresses"; "a bantering tone".

Synonyms
noun.   jest - joke - raillery - pleasantry - badinage verb.   joke - jest - chaff - lark - tease - jape - mock

So technically you need to either  :)  :P  ;)  :lmao: or post in a different thread.   :rambo:

And I don't think your story is unusual.  I think we have found out about the Metal Man.  Apparently he has spent most of his life in a windowless, soundproofed. padded cell,  And now he has been relocated to the Place where the Ways Cross, he spends his time in a windowless basement :)

Tony,

You're not saying I have anything to do with it, are you? I'm involved with "Roads", not "Ways", and the Cross is primary in my case lol. Furthermore, I'm out at the wide open beach, which is about as opposite as one can get vs. a padded cell. ;)

I think what we see from MetalMan is a cry for help. It seems he has never seen any weather :) All he wants is some stories about weather, and why it never reaches him. It sounds like all he has seen is gentle rains, of 4 or 5 inches, gentle zephyrs of 40 or 60 mph, and lots of baking sun. The rest of weather has escaped him, and he wonders if GW might be to blame. No, TinMan, I think the blame is at the feet of that windowless basement you won't leave. Go into the swamp, TinMan, with a tent and a rasher of bacon, and stay there for 6 months, then go buy another tent, for the gators will have ruined that one, trying to get your bacon, and camp in the mountains for 6 months, and at the end of the year you will have seen some weather, I promise, lol. T

Not even close. I was asking if anybody actually believed in it. I certainly don't believe in it especially with all this record cold and snow lately. But yeah my weather history is lame though. Best storm I have been in was 8/4/2008 in Chicago. Best snowstorm was Feb 2007 in Chicago with 11 inches. Strongest winds were up to hurricane force when I was in Chicago. Thats where all the crazy weather I've been in occurred. Down here, I like the daily thunderstorms in the summer.

Drop it. Everyone already has their opinion on trolling and we won't change it here.

Despite what many say, everything does not fit the definition of banter. Actually your climate question did not. Of course most posts don't fit the definition.

ban·ter

/ˈbantər/

Noun

Verb

So technically you need to either :):P;):lmao: or post in a different thread. :rambo:

:lmao: :lmao:

ban·ter  
/ˈbantər/

Noun

Verb
Talk or exchange remarks in a good-humored teasing way: "the men bantered with the waitresses"; "a bantering tone".

...Which was exactly the point of my earlier remarks.  Ipso facto, I engaged in banter!!  Hooray, me!  Burns, you really liven this place up.  I wish others could find the fun and wit in most any post.

Maybe it's something that comes with age, because you, Tony, and Larry are some of the most laid-back enjoyable dudes to hang around with in here.  Not that the rest of you aren't cool too, but you guys just seem to enjoy life, and that's pretty awesome.  Take each day as it comes and try to find the joy in it.  Cheers!

.  Take each day as it comes and try to find the joy in it.  Cheers!

BINGO.  

Of course it helps that weather nerds are some of the funniest people on earth. Probably other worlds as well, but I haven't been to those yet.

Archived