• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

Just going to guess..but i would gather an inch of rain just fell in 20 minutes.  Some of the heaviest rain i can recall...

I bet some of the creeks that come down from the bluffs will really be rushing soon!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With that one...i bet there was a bunch of street flooding...  water coming down that hard has no time to soak in.  Even my backyard filled up with water and that never happens...    its all sand around here, so the water soaks in pretty fast.

Wow, didn't even look like that intense of a cell.

head home, chase central IL on Friday

Yeah ended up heading home.  Glad I did.  Was laughing earlier when I saw there was a tornado warning for here when I was back in central Iowa.  The confirmed tornado just east of here turned out to be a gustnado according to video that someone sent the local tv station. 

Picked up 0.58" of rain here today. 

Thought this early AM was going to be socked in with clouds for w/e reason but, totally blue bird sky, nice breeze and wonderful temps to chill with a cup of coffee. I hope the weekend is not a total sblow for the free Wisconsin fishing weekend even for nonresidents of wisconsin..  Take a kid or an adult fishing!

So despite no record highs or 90*F+ highs, this will still be a top 20 hottest May on record for Detroit.

In addition to no record highs or 90F temps....we had 8 days with a departure of -7F or colder, a record low (30F on 13th) which officially tied with May 13, 1971 for coldest temp so late in season (I say officially because may 13, 2013 was a far colder morning across SE MI than may 13, 1971)...also most of the region saw a few snowflakes on the 12th....as well as one to three light frosts the last week of May.

And despite ALL of this it will safely be in the top 20 warmest Mays. The spring (MAM) temp will still probably be a bit below normal.

Funny how weather works sometimes. May finished at DTW with a mean temp of 63.6F, good for 12th warmest May on record (since 1874). The months two notable cold snaps (11th-13th and 23rd-27th) stood out more than any heat.

No record highs were set, but a record low was, which was also the coldest temp so late in the season (30F on May 13th). Only 8 years since 1874 has Detroit had a colder temp in May (1875, 1891, 1903, 1923, 1966, 1974, 1978, 1983). This cold snap also brought numerous reports of snowflakes on Mother's Day (12th). The cold snap at the end of May, while it didn't bring any record lows to Detroit (they were flirted with, though), brought light frost to the area on anywhere from 1 to 3 days (depending on location).

28 previous years have had a 90F or higher temp in May....2013 did not.

Yet despite all this...only 11 Mays since 1874 have been warmer in final mean temp! (in order of warmest: 1991, 1998, 2012, 1896, 1962, 1911, 1977, 1881, 1982, 1964, & 1880)

Another note on May...it was on pace for one of the driest Mays on record through most of the first 4 weeks, but rainfall at the months end put the kabosh on that. Still ended up below normal, but the total at DTW was 2.54", and 1.98" of this fell from the 27th-31st.

IMBY, monthly total 2.41", of which 1.65" fell from the 27th-31st.

For May:

Overall departure: +1.10°

High departure: +0.94°

Low departure: +1.26°

Average high: 66.8°

Average low: 46.7°

Highest temperature: 88°

Lowest temperature: 30°

Rainfall: 2.65" (6.73cm)

Temperature chart.

Archived