SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its interesting the temp roller coaster we have been on. In a just-more-than 2-week span at DTW....

May 13th: Record low (30F), tied for latest on record to hit 30F

May 20th: Flirted with a record high (89F missed the record by 2F)

May 21st: The redheaded stepchild of records...a record warm low (71F) was set

May 24-27: Record lows may be flirted with....

May 24: record low 33F (1925) - GFS 2m temp fcst 37F

May 25: record low 35F (1992) - GFS 2m temp fcst 37F
May 26: record low 36F (1983) - GFS 2m temp fcst 37F

May 27: record low 35F (1915) - GFS 2m temp fcst 34F

Strange looking anomaly map this month

MonthTDeptUS.png

Through 5/21 DTW is at +5.6F on the month. That will go up after today but surely be knocked down with the cool weekend coming up. It is still extremely likely that the month will finish above normal, and with the outside shot at another record low or two being set May 24-27, what a hoot it would be to have DTW, UHI and all, have two seperate bouts of record low temps but no record highs* in a month that finishes probably several degrees warmer than normal. Something like that has to be very rare (though Im sure it POSSIBLY has happened at some point in the 1960s or 1970s when DTW was a radiational cooling magnet vs todays UHI influence). I put the * because DTW did set a record warm low temp on 5/21, but no record highs.

I think its interesting the temp roller coaster we have been on. In a just-more-than 2-week span at DTW....

May 13th: Record low (30F), tied for latest on record to hit 30F

May 20th: Flirted with a record high (89F missed the record by 2F)

May 21st: The redheaded stepchild of records...a record warm low (71F) was set

May 24-27: Record lows may be flirted with....

May 24: record low 33F (1925) - GFS 2m temp fcst 37F

May 25: record low 35F (1992) - GFS 2m temp fcst 37F

May 26: record low 36F (1983) - GFS 2m temp fcst 37F

May 27: record low 35F (1915) - GFS 2m temp fcst 34F

GFS is probably too cold on this one, the weather service tends to agree as well going with temps about 5 degrees above the GFS. The only day I could see us sneaking into the 30s is Saturday Morning. The other mornings should have partial cloud cover which should help keep temps from dropping too much.

Through 5/21 DTW is at +5.6F on the month. That will go up after today but surely be knocked down with the cool weekend coming up. It is still extremely likely that the month will finish above normal, and with the outside shot at another record low or two being set May 24-27, what a hoot it would be to have DTW, UHI and all, have two seperate bouts of record low temps but no record highs* in a month that finishes probably several degrees warmer than normal. Something like that has to be very rare (though Im sure it POSSIBLY has happened at some point in the 1960s or 1970s when DTW was a radiational cooling magnet vs todays UHI influence). I put the * because DTW did set a record warm low temp on 5/21, but no record highs.

May 1977 finished +3 in New England and had the historic snowstorm on 5/10/77 that gave some places in the Berkshires and Catskills over 20" of snow. 

I just saw this on DTX's webpage:

"On May 22, 1883, a very late season snowstorm hit Detroit with five inches of snow accumulating during the overnight hours."

Just wow. If that happened today, the MI warministas would be committing hara kiri. "The warm ground won't allow any accumulations." lol

GFS is probably too cold on this one, the weather service tends to agree as well going with temps about 5 degrees above the GFS. The only day I could see us sneaking into the 30s is Saturday Morning. The other mornings should have partial cloud cover which should help keep temps from dropping too much.

I think the GFS is a bit too cold too...but in the coming days of the cold mornings earlier in the month, the GFS was oscillating between 29-30F for DTW (2m temp), MOS was way warmer and the NWS went warmer as well...and it hit 30F. Thats why I said flirting but not likely. We shall see.

May 1977 finished +3 in New England and had the historic snowstorm on 5/10/77 that gave some places in the Berkshires and Catskills over 20" of snow. 

On April 6, 1886 Detroit was hit with its heaviest snowstorm on record (24.5") and that April ended up very mild. To this day it stands as the 17th warmest April on record, and though normals were not yet established, it was approximately 5F above what was normal for April at the time.

Its cool to find quirky stuff like that, its just for me personally to have record lows (when UHI makes it harder than the old days for such things) during a warm month is an oddity. As a side note, before the record low on May 13th, Detroits last official record low was -15F on Jan 15, 2009. So since Feb 2009, there have been 16 months colder than normal and not a  single record low!

I just saw this on DTX's webpage:

"On May 22, 1883, a very late season snowstorm hit Detroit with five inches of snow accumulating during the overnight hours."

Just wow. If that happened today, the MI warministas would be committing hara kiri. "The warm ground won't allow any accumulations." lol

I heard that flurries fell into southern OH with supposedly 12" snow amounts in N OH. IF Im remembering correctly...I cant find anything  on it. The record low for may 21 & 22 is 32F set in 1883

Here is DTX full writeup on the snow:

The May 21st-22nd, 1883 snowstorm by the date alone sounds almost unbelievable!Very little was written in the archaic Detroit weather records about the storm at the time. In fact, the snowstorm was not confirmed until much later (1904), since officially continuous snowfall records did not start until 1885. The following isfrom the official observation form...                                                         May 21, 1883            Rain began at 900am. Snow from 250pm to 910pm. Hail 934am to           1005am and 110pm. Strong wind reaching 36 mph from the North.           Temp from 32.5  to 46.0. Baro rising.                                                                                              May 22, 1883           Hail ended during the night. Snow began during the night. Rain and            snow  ended 1005am. Northerly wind reaching 28 miles. Temp from             32.5 to 41.0  Snowfall estimated by Inspector Conger to have been            5.0 in - on 21st&22nd    (This entry made April 28, 1904 - CDC.J)The snowfall was split between the two days and recorded as 2.3 inches on the21st and 2.7 inches on the 22nd. While hail was a likelihood, especially in theafternoon on the 21st as the colder air moved in, I suspect the hail recorded overnight into the 22nd could have well been sleet. One may also wonder withsuch cold air advected into the region at the surface and aloft in late May,  if thundersnow (sleet/hail) didn't also occur somewhere over Southeast Lower Michigan, especially with accumulating snow. This snowfall is by far the latestmeasurable snowfall recorded in Metro Detroit. The next closest, heaviest measurable snowfall date-wise is 1.5 inches, which fell on May 13th, 1912 and then, our other big storm with the total of six inches on May 9th, 1923. The latestsnow was officially observed in Detroit was the last day of May...May 31st, 1910when a trace fell. By the way, it's interesting to note that not one of the pre-mentioned Mays with measurable snowfall placed in the top 10 coldest Mays in Detroit.

Crazy awesome scene at sunset as storm clouds (which produced no rain here lol) clashed with sunset. I just wish I had a better view than a neighborhood shot.

That pic looks so amazing that it almost looks fake. Looks like a strange configuration of the cloud structure with height. I agree with wanting to have less neighborhood covering the bottom, wonder what it looked like.

Not looking forward to this potential freeze coming up Saturday morning, I was hoping it would be done for this spring. If frost verifies, it would probably be the latest one I've ever seen.

Just about 1" here imby. Ground soaked the water up nicely. Looks like some cells headed towards WiscWx to disintegrate

Eh, it was a nice soaker with some heavy rain bright banded cells in there.  Not really any thunder or lightning though.  Certainly not worried about drought up here atm, especially with coolish temps in the short term.

There's a few sites in NE IL/NW IN that are in the mid 40s right now.

Yep. I am one of those sites! Actually more like 48° now. The sun is breaking out.

Will likely be too mild here for frost tonight. Lake MI ftw.

Archived