joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt that clouds held us back somewhat.

Yep. On to June I guess.

topped out at 90 downtown, legit heat and the AC is on full blast.

Spent most of the day wishing I was eating bbq and drinking beers.

Had to have a brisket for lunch after seeing BowMe's photos. Beer later tonight.

Stellar looking Memorial Day weekend in the LAF. Top notch.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 67.
Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 48.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 69.
Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 72.
Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57.

Memorial Day: Partly sunny, with a high near 76.

The mosquitoes are absolutely thick here.  The more CO2 you breath the faster they find you and swarm.  I hold my breath while walking short distances outside.  Damn things like me.  I'd wear a long sleeve shirt if it wasn't so humid.

This is as bad as i have ever seen them and so very early as well.

Sure was a beautiful morning chilling outside soaking it all up before the swamp arse air moves in.  Spring is finally progressing along now.

2cpdoao.jpg

Meh - Ribs weren't nothing special but still dam edible for sure... Made them mostly for my dad as an experiment.. He has to and is really watching his sugar intake sooo. No sugar in the winged it recipe rib rub and glaze/sauce.. Used the last of my oak and cherry chunks up on the brisket/butts so no wood.  And my temps were running at 350 for the first hr and a half because I thought I mostly closed the bottom vents but I had all 3 vent wide open so she really took off hot instead of being locked in around 260 degrees.  Annnnnd, I'm more of a St Louis style spare rib man over the lean loin back ribs.

Brisket and Butt's pulled/wrapped and in to a cooler to rest before delivering at 10 am.. Also the cook  sure went quick doing them at around 300 degree's vs low and slow.  Think I might be ditching the low for higher temps if these turned out as good as the last batch.

2w7nvxs.jpg

33vmgd4.jpg

Damn that looks good.

Well any chance at reaching 90*F is most definitely shot.

Made it to 88 here before a nice T-Storm moved in with some brief very heavy duty rains and small hail.

topped out at 90 downtown, legit heat and the AC is on full blast.

Spent most of the day wishing I was eating bbq and drinking beers.

+1

I'll be breaking out the bbq this weekend for sure.

Well, that was no fun in Joplin... rotation passed just south of here but they did the sirens 3 times......

Bummer, I already have the meat for another fun Joplin fundraiser at work.  Not to worry though, we'll still have fun fundraising for the heartbreaking natural disaster in Moore.

Few nice gaden variety t-storms moved in after our 9 pm softball game..  Beautiful out there now but I had to give in and turn the AC on for the first time this spring today.

Looking like spring weather is back in the cards...after today, its back to the mid 60Fs here...overnight lows show maybe a ance at frost in Sparta or other cold spots...showing 41F here...    Fine by me...  more days in the 60Fs, the better... 

I was reading Anchorage reported snow the other day!  Winter still isnt done for some.

Was going to lol LAF today, but then I saw FWA's 4:00pm temperature. I think they might overachieve more than we do here. A passing of the torch may be in order, pun intended.

5:21 4pm obs.gif

I've noticed that about FWA as well. Granted it has been even drier there than here lately. Speaking of which, I don't know how we only got .10" last night. It poured pretty good even though it didn't last long.

I've noticed that about FWA as well. Granted it has been even drier there than here lately. Speaking of which, I don't know how we only got .10" last night. It poured pretty good even though it didn't last long.

Yeah, I thought it seemed low too.  

I've only caught .51" in my gauge in May. Getting pretty dry. We only picked up a trace early this morning as the stormed petered out.

Also, we had a fairly long period of cloudless skies this afternoon. The wind picked up and temps skyrocketed.

I know what B-rent is getting at. Corn crop starts up and the added moisture from the perspiring leaves starts raising dewpoints region-wide.

Cooling off a bit faster tonight. Already down in the upper 60s.

Edit: So much for a wet Tuesday forecasted.

Can't buy any rain of consequence in the LAF. Overnight forecasted rainfall was a complete and total dud. Looks like we'll end up with 0.10" total with this series of impulses. Blah. 

May total rainfall through yesterday in Indiana. Everyone is below normal to a degree, but northern half of the state really FTL.

BMG: 2.60"

HUF: 2.59"

IND: 2.57"

EYE: 2.14"

GEZ: 1.42"

EVV: 1.18"

SBN: 1.09"

LAF: 0.91"

GSH: 0.83"

IWX: 0.54"

FWA: 0.33"

Alas, a drier May in the state of Indiana wasn't a total surprise statistically. Here are the state rainfall numbers for January-April...and then going forward in May, June, July, and August. Mays around the 2013 Jan-Apr total sided dry. In the same light, seems most Junes turned back to the wetter side. July and August look a little more muddled, but drier than normal seems to be the lean. But, this says nothing to actual weather patterns...just statistical fodder.

Top half of the bracket of wettest January-April periods, and following individual MJJA monthly and summer totals for Indiana since 1895. 

Archived