• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

Got down to 34º at LAF, two degrees from the daily record of 32º set last in 1989.

Cooler than forecast. Temps tonight will get a head start compared to yesterday. You gotta wonder if some of the normally colder spots might even freeze tonight.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dew is 25 right now.  Pretty low for a May afternoon.

I would think this would increase the potential for a freeze in some locations tonight. With the low dew points it might be hard for frost to form and with the ideal radiational cooling conditions, temperatures could drop like a rock.

Interesting spread in temperatures and dewpoint. RAC is 48/ 31 and UGN is 44/30 with a SE wind while ENW is 51/23 with a NW wind.

The wind off the lake might save us from a frost tonight. 33° is my forecasted low. Only 52° for a high today.

The wind off the lake might save us from a frost tonight. 33° is my forecasted low. Only 52° for a high today.

The wind should back to the west once we lose daytime heating but I'm not sure if we can get boundary layer decoupling to really plummet, either way its going to be cold.

I too saw some snow or sleet pellets today. It wasnt a heavy shower or anything, almost like flurries but they were pellets lol. The announcers during todays Tigers game also noted at one point it appeared to be raining with some snow. The players were looking towards the sky like wtf lol. This makes first winter precip this season Oct 29th, last May 12th...quite impressive!

Speaking of Tigers...I was at the game last night and have a few cloud pics during and after the cold fronts passage:

3546-800.jpg

3547-800.jpg

Hit 57F...still a lot of wind today, but not a cloud in the sky.  Took a drive to Rochester, MN...noticed one tractor in the fields, along what is basically 70 miles of farm fields... 

Forecast shows low 30Fs here...not sure what to expect....going to cover what i can...but am waiting until the winds let up...which by judging out my window, looks to be right now. 

53F/22F now....not looking good.

May 12th snowflakes. Mostly graupel bust some slushy wet flakes as well.

i like your new saying in your sig line. is that a pre-existing bumper sticker up there? if not, have you ever thought of trying to sell that up there outside the skydome? at least I could see that break even in sales. or at least end up on the mercer report.

as for the temps on tuesday, it looks like chanhassen is going whole-hog into mixing it towards 700hPa, given that mix-down temps from 700, according to the 12 and 18Z models today say highs of 95 to 98 in the STC/MSP/RST/LSE area, 850 mix-down values at their highest point are saying only 88-92. Chanhassen is now going 94 in the metro, STC, it looks like 88/89, as well as LSE/RST at 88/89, which suggests the full mix-down to 700 only in the metro and closer to 800 elsewhere.

how far down do you think we mix from in MN and IA?

18z 4km NAM has a few pockets of 100 degrees along the Missouri bordering NE/IA tue. If we can overachieve with the mixing we have a shot at 90 here, but wouldn't bet on it.

There's been an interesting back and forth between the DVN midnight and day shifts with the temps on Tuesday.The day shift thinks it'll be an underachiever (80-85) and the mid shift thinks 90 is not out of the question.

Archived