Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just someone who has too much time on there hands! lol

I don't see any other forecasters that are better!

i look at this spring as one that I think most mets weren't thinking "total bust, snow in may". we knew it was going to be cooler. just not 15" in RST and over 3 tenths ice in WI in may.

But I'm sure Mr Skilling is doing ok. After all, any met who doesn't run into a bum pattern once in a blue moon is lieing worse than a politician in the last days of an election campaign.

Not...  I don't live in the tropics like you and Saukville..he was really rubbing it in last night...saying how warm it has been over on that side of the state..even had the stats for April showing MKE was warmer then LSE...  Must be nice.

Eh, it hasn't been that much better, a lot of 30s and 40s and rain for us too; at least we had some thunderstorms, as you have had as well, that makes the otherwise yucky spring weather this year worth it imo.

Not...  I don't live in the tropics like you and Saukville..he was really rubbing it in last night...saying how warm it has been over on that side of the state..even had the stats for April showing MKE was warmer then LSE...  Must be nice.

Warm on this side of the state :lmao:   He's lost it. 

la Crosse had 16 days in April with highs 50+ = same as Milwaukee.

La Crosse had 6 days of 40 or below = same as Milwaukee

La Crosse had 5 days above 70 in April...  Milwaukee 2

Both cities avg high for April was 51

Your April/May/June like every year will have many more nice days than here because of no lake breeze.

La Crosse avg high temp for May 3rd = 66    Tropics of Milwaukee avg high temp on May 3rd = 60

La Crosse =  La Torch of the state in spring and summer.

Holy crap.  It's 80 degrees here.  lol.

Wow. If the low wasn't to the southwest of here it would probably be warm here as well.

Glad the forecast is looking drier for the weekend.

Holy crap.  It's 80 degrees here.  lol.

How leaf out are you?  Like the maple trees..do they have leaves?

Bow-

I'm pretty sure he is looking at his house weather station...the thing probably sits in a black box in the sun :)  Whatever the case, if you want warmth, anywhere in Wisconsin is not a good choice...just got to deal with it...this is just really be rough after last spring being so much like summer.

Bow-

I'm pretty sure he is looking at his house weather station...the thing probably sits in a black box in the sun :)  Whatever the case, if you want warmth, anywhere in Wisconsin is not a good choice...just got to deal with it...this is just really be rough after last spring being so much like summer.

May 2nd last yr it was 83 for both of us.  Hell just a couple days ago we had back to back 80's here lol.    Wisconsin for ya in spring. Like ya said though, just have to deal with it and it's not like this 40's and rain weather is that uncommon for early may, its not even that uncommon (well except for your 30's today lol) in to late may.  What's nice about these turd days in May is they are normally short lived and replaced with at least 50's and 60's quick.

Bow-

The red maples have very small reddish tinted leaves.  The Norway maples and smaller ornamental trees have decent sized green leaves.  The oaks have buds and very small yellowish flowers up high. 

The wind is really picking up out of the SE today.  Dewpoint dropped into the 40s which is why the temperature managed to shoot up to 80 degrees all the sudden this afternoon.

I don't know.  The SE wind is so strong the lake breeze isn't penetrating at all.

The wind field is like this right now, so if the SE wind can stay stronger then the west wind, then you'll be in luck.

wind4.gif

The front must be hung up across the lake.

Looks like tomorrow the winds go SE or E here with 60s, which will be improvement over today.

temp26.gif

Nice time lapses Frostfern! Definitely a summery looking sky there today. Low lake clouds have pushed out finally here. About to get hit by a thundershower moving in off the lake. 

High only 48° today.

I have to admit, I am jealous of the snow to our west. Its one hell of a crazy, RARE setup, and I am trying to figure out which is more INSANE....the narrow band of 12"+ snow in MN/WI....the fact that light amounts of measurable snow fell as far south as SW MO...or the fact that a few May snowflakes were observered in places like Tulsa, OK where seasonal snowfall this winter was only 3.7" (with not a single morning of 1"+ snowdepth). Now..the fact that most of those places are also enduring 30s and heavy rain in May...that does NOT make me envious. Still, I do feel a little left out here basking in full sun and daytime highs well into the 70s laugh.png. In fact, during the heat of the day it was hot getting in the car. The good thing that comes out of this? Snow sticking DURING THE DAY...IN MAY...AS FAR SOUTH AS SOUTHERN MISSOURI...TWO DAYS AFTER IT WAS IN THE 80s....the kabosh WILL be layed down next year when a mid-February snowthreat the day after temps hit 40F draws the moans of "it wont stick much til nightfall" lmaosmiley.gif

Trees have absolutely blossomed the past few days. A week ago I don't think you could find a tiny leave on a single tree (just buds), and like the snap of a finger the trees (and allergies) are starting to go bonkers.

Took these pics today. I also did a comparison shot from last year. The 2011 greenup was a few weeks late, the 2012 greenup was a ridiculous 4 weeks early, and the 2013 was certainly on pace through late April to be much later than 2011 but the very warm temps this May have caused a rapid acceleration, so we are probably on pace with 2011.

3544-800.jpg

3545-800.jpg

Gorgeous Magnolia trees Snowfreak!

Luckily no allergies issues for me yet. I think the regular rains are keeping the pollen in check. 

The thundershower that moved off the lake had a bit of punch to it. Heavy rain for about 10 minutes along with some gusty winds.

Archived