Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Cicada Madness 2013 - Track the 17 Year Cycle and Return of Brood II

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing nymphs here. People here remember them back in '96 and we're already seeing nymphs. Hmm, I thought there weren't supposed to be any?

Craig, are they making any noise yet?

I haven't seen any signs of any here, but they are probably pretty localized on LI.  I remember one evening in my friends backyard in Syosset in the late 70's or early 80s when there were hundreds of them crawling out, but I am not certain of the year or the month.  If it was '79, it could be this same brood.  I lived a mile away and had none that I can recall, so they can definitely be localized.

Craig, are they making any noise yet?

I haven't seen any signs of any here, but they are probably pretty localized on LI.  I remember one evening in my friends backyard in Syosset in the late 70's or early 80s when there were hundreds of them crawling out, but I am not certain of the year or the month.  If it was '79, it could be this same brood.  I lived a mile away a

and had none that I can recall, so they can definitely be localized.

I haven't heard any noise, still prety quiet. Thousands of holes in the backyard though, hole after hole. With the daily mean temps below 64F, I doubt 8" down it's 64F so maybe a week or two before we see some fully emerge. According to the maps, there's some Brood II here, and the dot on the map is right over where I live. My parents remember them.

Soil temps still 59-60F here in Monmouth County. However, today's heat through Thursday should get those readings up. Not sure if I'll see anything before the end of May/beginning of June though.

Per the map, 100+ adults in NE NJ locations.

Soil temps still 59-60F here in Monmouth County. However, today's heat through Thursday should get those readings up. Not sure if I'll see anything before the end of May/beginning of June though.

Per the map, 100+ adults in NE NJ locations.

You wouldn't know it. In my region, I've seen zilch. I again believe any habitat that existed in 1996 in this section of NE NJ particularly right alongside the Hudson River was destroyed other than in the thick cover immediately alongside the Palisades cliffs. There are probably a bunch in that landscape but you really cannot explore to see what's going on in there because you just cannot access it to check it out but you'd hear it and I have heard no sounds from them yet. Right around my immediate neighborhood there's plenty of habitat probably still intact from 1996 even 1979 but I again have seen/heard nothing as of yet. Perhaps my 150 foot elevation is also a prohibitive habitat for them.

You wouldn't know it. In my region, I've seen zilch. I again believe any habitat that existed in 1996 in this section of NE NJ particularly right alongside the Hudson River was destroyed other than in the thick cover immediately alongside the Palisades cliffs. There are probably a bunch in that landscape but you really cannot explore to see what's going on in there because you just cannot access it to check it out but you'd hear it and I have heard no sounds from them yet. Right around my immediate neighborhood there's plenty of habitat probably still intact from 1996 even 1979 but I again have seen/heard nothing as of yet. Perhaps my 150 foot elevation is also a prohibitive habitat for them.

When they first take off flying from the ground, they scare the bejeezus out of me.  That loud buzzing and the way they fly... oys.

I should add that I have a phobia about buzzing/stinging insects.

There are a ton of cicadas emerging here on Staten Island I was working down by Arthur kill rd and they are on trees everywhere you can see them on the grass and some in the sidewalks, a lot of adults but none are calling yet. On my way home I noticed some staring to appear on the poles near my house too so it's definitely underway.

The calling is getting really loud here now. Pretty awesome.

Seen no nymphs or adults, seen no holes, heard no sounds. Amazing the difference over a relatively short distance. It is clear whose habitat is intact and whose isn't as well as who is more urbanized and who is more suburban/rural.

Seen no nymphs or adults, seen no holes, heard no sounds. Amazing the difference over a relatively short distance. It is clear whose habitat is intact and whose isn't as well as who is more urbanized and who is more suburban/rural.

I've not seen any yet but neighbors a half mile away have them all over their yard. I did see 2 shells on a tree yesterday, I also heard what I believe to be the mating calls on and off over the weekend. Yesterday I was in the Bridgewater area and you could definitely hear them, mostly in open fields though. Its definitely interesting though how they can number in the thousands in one area and not see any nearby

Your last question is an excellent one and I'd like to know the answer myself as in Monmouth, I too wonder. In 1996 the activity was sparse at best down here but development has also slowed dramatically since then. In Freehold, I haven't see any holes in my yard but most of it has had a good 1 to 2 feet of top soil added due to an addition put on in 2006. Plus we've had some really cold nights here, even in the micro UHI in town, temps down to freezing just a few days ago so any 64 f temps are likely weeks away.

Looks like the areas in Monmouth we were speculating about are exhibiting a significant cicada presence that I do not recall seeing in 1996 while living in my hometown of Howell. This picture from just yesterday is from Freehold, NJ which, as you know, is just ten minutes north of Howell:

cidjd.jpg

Six Flags and nearby areas seem to be devoid of cicadas.

Same here in Monmouth. I know that pic above was posted north of Freehold, but here in the town immediately east, there's nothing.

After 3 days in the 90s, I know soil temps should be sufficient for emergence, so I'm pretty confident they're a no-show for us (Colts Neck/Holmdel area).

Mt. Earthlight even jackpots with cicadas. This is one time I'm glad you get the jackpot.

This is the Dec 26 2010 of cicadas for my area. But my neighbors say it is always awful in my local area. 17 years ago they said it was so loud they couldn't think straight.

It's just about getting to that point now. 

Archived