Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Onward Into Summer 2013

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This weekend was incredible for yard work. Perfect. Spread our 3 cubic yards of mulch, installed some 80 lb splash guards, weeded, etc.

With the sun yesterday, it was most definitely perfect even with our high here being only 50. I like it, and can't wait for what is usually a paradise time of year around here, May and June. How thankful I am not to live in the Sun Belt during this time, as we in true Central PA are viva l'amour while they are beginning their descent march into a hellish summer.

With the sun yesterday, it was most definitely perfect even with our high here being only 50. I like it, and can't wait for what is usually a paradise time of year around here, May and June. How thankful I am not to live in the Sun Belt during this time, as we in true Central PA are viva l'amour while they are beginning their descent march into a hellish summer.

Indeed. Our spring is special. Parents already 90 and droughty.

May and June were always my favorite times of year in central PA. Almost never need to worry about backdoor fronts, marine layers or seabreezes like we need to here, when it gets hot it's usually more manageable, and plenty of sunny conditions.

Slight risk for many of us now...guess nobody even noticed (or cared). But just going based on typical "see text" to low-end Slight risk days, this could be a significant event!

That one a few weeks ago got us off to a pretty good start. Also, there was some pretty nasty flooding on College Ave out near Your Building Center on Friday. They had it down to one lane. 

Slight risk for many of us now...guess nobody even noticed (or cared). But just going based on typical "see text" to low-end Slight risk days, this could be a significant event!

We have some good thunderstorms moving through our area now. Nothing severe but some decent ctg lightning.

They seem to be heading your way if they hold together.

No post in 4 days.  Talk about dead weather.

Dead and quiet weather from a tracking perpsective but I am hard pressed to remember a nicer stretch of weather in May. I guess it ends today with some welcome rain.

No post in 4 days.  Talk about dead weather.

Dead and quiet weather from a tracking perpsective but I am hard pressed to remember a nicer stretch of weather in May. I guess it ends today with some welcome rain.

Yep, absolutely. You couldn't do better than the last few days, weather-wise. 

I guess the next notable weather other than the welcome rain is near record to record cold possible early next week. 

LOL...they put out a flood watch and the radar is empty...and most models have us under .25 to .5. OHH CTP we could have used that yesterday!

Models do not handle precip output well for these slow moving cut off upper level lows.  I was in Perry County last night when the storm came through and it was coming down pretty good.  Saw a few posts online last night that people were submitting to the news where the hail in northeast perry/northwest dauphin was covering the ground like a light blanket of snow.  I didnt see any hail I was just south of it and somehow only recorded .24" at home for the day. 

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/rfcshare/ffg.php?duration=3&location=PA

LOL...they put out a flood watch and the radar is empty...and most models have us under .25 to .5. OHH CTP we could have used that yesterday!

You didn't read the watch language...localized flashflooding. I can't believe you are going on what the radar looks like at 7:50 am in this situation. 

http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=ctp&wwa=flash%20flood%20watch

Thinking based on your post you don't know the basics of mid-late spring weather very well? This time of year instability from the strong sun plays a big factor and that a radar shot at 7:50 am can't be considered as proof of a bust in this sort of set up where the heaviest rain would fall in the afternoon. Plus, the heavy rain the watch area got recently makes FF criteria pretty low. I can imagine where ever the narrow bands of heavy storms show up later today it's going to cause flash flooding. 

Archived