• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Onward Into Summer 2013

Models do not handle precip output well for these slow moving cut off upper level lows.  I was in Perry County last night when the storm came through and it was coming down pretty good.  Saw a few posts online last night that people were submitting to the news where the hail in northeast perry/northwest dauphin was covering the ground like a light blanket of snow.  I didnt see any hail I was just south of it and somehow only recorded .24" at home for the day. 

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/rfcshare/ffg.php?duration=3&location=PA

Also we're in the time of year now where model precip output doesn't really give you what you might end up getting. Especially as you said, in this setup. Someone could get 1-2" of rain and someone else could get .10. This is also the case when we get into a popup t-storm situation in the summer - if the model says .05, that doesn't tell you much other than a chance of popup storms. Could get 0, could get 2.0. 

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's the garden faring?  

Okay, but something weird was going on. Myself and two of my neighbors start tomatoes inside, the same way each year. Florescent lights, a heater to keep temps at 70, etc. This year, our tomatoes basically stopped growing about a month ago. Mine are the worst. I put them in new dirt and are responding, but it was strange. But other than that, well and I imagine after our cold snap early next week stuff will take off. 

Wow...just saw about that tanker accident. That road looks trashed.

listening to press conference now and it sounds like 81 will be closed until that part of ramp can be removed due to extensive damage which may be sunday at the earliest!!

I was right : )

God felt sorry for you. ;)

Yeah, that's a terrible spot, too.

listening to press conference now and it sounds like 81 will be closed until that part of ramp can be removed due to extensive damage which may be sunday at the earliest!!

The horrible traffic with terrible drivers around Harrisburg will be even worse. Glad I visited my mom down in York last weekend. 

Yeah, but this system hasn't produced anywhere else...and so far a lot of the obs are fog and clouds. Definitely not what you want for destabilization.

I look at visible satellite closeups of the state and traffic cams. Obs are lame for this sort of thing. Looks pretty cloudy on those, too. Although once this band of showers moves on through, should see some sun. 

Yeah, but this system hasn't produced anywhere else...and so far a lot of the obs are fog and clouds. Definitely not what you want for destabilization.

Forgot to add...AccuWeather or WeatherUnderground have good satellite maps - just go to visible and animation and use that (during the day, of course). 

Actually, looks like a storm is about to hit my house in Port Matilda right now, based on radar. 

Pretty bizzare yesterday. i get off at cameron Street to come to work. What a sight. Nothing like a 3 dimesional class b fire to start the day. I only sat for a couple minutes on 81 before i could get off off, but i had the birds eye view of that baby burning. I've been on incidents like that before, that driver is damn lucky to get out with only minor injuries. couple good pics at this site http://www.centralpabravest.com/news/fullstory/newsid/187116 look at picture 18, that fuel was running back down that exit ramp burning.

i have a good video posted on my facebook for those of you i'm friends with, check it out!

here is a good video of it (not mine)  

Okay, but something weird was going on. Myself and two of my neighbors start tomatoes inside, the same way each year. Florescent lights, a heater to keep temps at 70, etc. This year, our tomatoes basically stopped growing about a month ago. Mine are the worst. I put them in new dirt and are responding, but it was strange. But other than that, well and I imagine after our cold snap early next week stuff will take off. 

I had onions, beets and radishes in when the cold snap in mid/late April came in and my plants stopped growing for two weeks due to the cold nights, perhaps that was the reasoning?

Got hit a little bit ago with probably the best severe thunderstorm I've seen since last Memorial Day's major line. Power's out here and multiple trees/branches down around town. Was mowing at my grandparents a couple miles away and got some good video of the storm rolling in which i'll try to get up. 

For now here's a pic of the one end of our road.

post-1507-0-00330400-1368232330_thumb.jp

Nice shot MAG. The t-storms brought some much needed rain. My davis had 1.52" the last 3 day total, which was very close to the HPC prediction a few days ago. Give props to SPC as well, they outlined the threat fairly well. Now for the chill. L 25 very possible near my location back home Monday night. I wonder with some of the residual precip lingering around, if some areas could squeeze out some flakage during the chill of the night.

As promised, here is one of the videos I shot of the storm as it rolled through (from my grandparents which is a couple of miles south of my house). Trying to get my first video of this up as you can see the gust front and scuds overtaking the sky as the storm moves overhead. Youtube giving me probs uploading that for whatever reason. This was one helluva storm, it made a mess in parts of Altoona and Bellwood. Our house didn't get power back until about 3 or 4am this morning. 

Edit: Got the first video to upload and it's been added on this post now. Neat shot of the leading edge of the storm moving in.

Adding a couple radar captures of this storm now that I downloaded the archived NEXRAD data from Friday. There was a very impressive velocity signature with this storm, with 60-70mph velocities at beam height which is only about 1700feet overhead here. Safe to say most or all of that translated to the ground.

644pm

post-1507-0-79386300-1368341952_thumb.pn

649pm

post-1507-0-23505600-1368342062_thumb.pn

it looked like snow falling in dubois today?

Very possible, the thickness was defintely below freezing, so I'm sure what little precip was left over had a chance to fall as grauple or snow. My brother said they had some small flakes spitting mixing with lgt showers earlier, but nothing serious. Impressive for early to mid May none the less.

Archived