SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion

NEOH

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trough seems to finally be shifting south, slowly. Lake county has been crushed all day. In the pic above, 9" fell in 5 hours.

Looks like we will need some serious re-organization over the western basin. The CLE local model actually showed this scenario pretty well -- the current band basically pushes off to the east with a new band forming on a WNW fetch. Typically the firehose band just sinks south and dimishes inland, but that doesn't look to be the case this time.

The trough seems to finally be shifting south, slowly. Lake county has been crushed all day. In the pic above, 9" fell in 5 hours.

Looks like we will need some serious re-organization over the western basin. The CLE local model actually showed this scenario pretty well -- the current band basically pushes off to the east with a new band forming on a WNW fetch. Typically the firehose band just sinks south and dimishes inland, but that doesn't look to be the case this time.

I'm still not sure how things exactly play out through the night. I think you'll get your 3-6" by tomorrow evening regardless, but I'm not sure how you'll get there.

There's a good Lake Michigan connection that should stay into NE Ohio through a good portion of the evening. I still think the band will remain somewhat intact as it heads south, but it may become more cellular/bursty as opposed to the firehose it is now. Even so, with a good Lake Michigan connection I think some bursts of heavy snow and at least a couple inches will occur with this across most of Cuyahoga and southern Geauga this evening.

Later tonight I think there's about a 30% chance of a decent WNW band forming, but I'm favoring more of a weaker snow shower pattern overnight. I think the winds may be just a bit too far WNW and the trough will push too far south...but I haven't looked at any models this afternoon.

I'm still interested in what happens at the end of the event tomorrow and tomorrow evening as the winds go more westerly. If we don't see a good band develop tonight, we may see one redevelop tomorrow.

Picked up a hair over 2" in a little over an hour. Not bad. I can easily see how Mentor had 10-14" with a band over them for 5-6 hours.

CLE bumped accums up a little bit overnight. With a couple more passing squalls and bands 4" seems achievable.

The snow is pretty disorganized now, although the few bursts out there are slow moving and heavy, so it wouldn't shock me if some of the higher terrain areas end up with over 4" tonight. This event is busting my map left and right, except for conveniently where some of our Geauga County posters live. This is the first event I've under forecasted this badly in a while. Second year in a row the first LES event has busted any and all expectations.

The 4km NAM and HRW's that showed a widespread half inch plus of QPF from Cuyahoga east and 1-2" QPF in Lake County on Wednesday really nailed this. Glad it could overperform for you guys. Now got us one of these events over my holiday break in a month and we can all be happy :lol:

On a side note, being up past 6AM working on a project is "fun"

The 4km NAM and HRW's that showed a widespread half inch plus of QPF from Cuyahoga east and 1-2" QPF in Lake County on Wednesday really nailed this. Glad it could overperform for you guys. Now got us one of these events over my holiday break in a month and we can all be happy :lol:

On a side note, being up past 6AM working on a project is "fun"

OHw,

you still down at OU?  What do you think about the Sun-Mon system?   Looks like Athens might be the epicenter of 'whatever' that brings.

Roads and parking lots on the west side haven't been touched. They are packed snow and ice, and temps in the low to mid 20s didn't help either. I think many on this side of town were caught off guard after seeing how it was only snowing in the "snow belt" yesterday.

Very nice to have an overperforming first snowfall of the season.

Must be quite a bit of heat left in the ground despite the cold tems. My driveway was 2 inches of slush with 2 inches of fluff on top. A solid 6.5" on the deck with 4-5" on the grass. Looks like the winds have shifted more NW'erly. CLE calling for another 3-6" today, and 2-4" tonight. Those amounts seem high, but given what happened last night it wouldn't surprise me.

post-1277-0-22292800-1415971870_thumb.jp

Warning now for Cuyahoga. This is going to be the most impressive LES event for the area since late January 2013 and possibly since December 2010 depending on how much more adds up.

I was just thinking that. After last year's dismal lake effect season this is quite a nice treat.

Really good band hugging the west side and then down 480. Most places will have at least 6" on the ground county wide by morning at minimum with the higher elevations doing much better. What's amazing is that this snowpack will likely survive a full week.

Archived