"When are we going to get spring?!!"

"I just want no-jacket weather.  Is this global warming related?"

"So much for global warming.  It is 30 degrees out!"

"Looks like we are going to go right from winter to summer again!"

Pretty accurate

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zwyts, I turned off my euro subscriptions till next winter. Is the euro hinting at any frost possibilities just outside the beltway? I just got my hot pepper seedlings delivered and I was planning on planting them this weekend. Frost would be an instant death to them and I would be devastated.

I don't know much about plants and gardening, but burbs get a frost in late April/May quite often.....I wouldn't plant anything vulnerable to frost yet, but you probably want to defer to someone else....GFS MOS has IAD in mid to upper 30s early next week and Euro in 30s monday night..

Hot pepper seedlings are an endangered species?

I special order in Jan from a nursery in NJ. They have a sick inventory of exotics but you have to pre-order. The only think they do bulk is basic stuff. If these die I can't replace them until next year.

I grow exotic varieties of thai and tabasco style pods. I dry, grind, and cover almost everything I eat. I suppose it would be considered an addiction of sorts but a heck of a lot better than drinking a 5th and smoking chronic every night. 

zwyts, I turned off my euro subscriptions till next winter. Is the euro hinting at any frost possibilities just outside the beltway? I just got my hot pepper seedlings delivered and I was planning on planting them this weekend. Frost would be an instant death to them and I would be devastated.

How's the CFS2 looking?

Coastal is earlier now. Like on the 4th. But the dreaded gl low is now making an appearance. I'm out.

Looks like a good BOS hit on the 5th though.

dec4.13.JPG

That storm will end up as an OV monster driving copious precip amounts into our area while we are sitting under massive CAD.

How Thanksgiving looking? Keep an eye on that for me. I'm feeling a white turkey day this year.

When are you going on your chase?

One mo from tomorrow .. May 18 planned departure. Hopefully winter ends by then. Lots of moisture out there lately tho.. Drought forever people might be in trouble.

Wherever the warm wind takes us. Until we hit cold air, then we backtrack 50 miles.

I have a good feeling about this year.. tho maybe I'm just setting myself up to be disappointed.

I have a good feeling about this year.. tho maybe I'm just setting myself up to be disappointed.

LOL, I remember saying I had a good feeling about one of those clippers last winter. Heck, I even started a thread for it. Ended up a disaster. I hope your good feelings work better than mine. :)

Do you harden off your seedlings?  I order my tomatoes and peppers from a place in Delaware, and they need to be hardened off for at least a week before I put them in the ground.  In fact, they're being delivered today (out for delivery as of 7:00 am), but I won't plant them until next weekend.

I'd suggest transplanting them into solo cups filled with potting soil and hardening them off.  If nothing else, that'll get you through any potential cool weather in the next week or so.  Besides...putting peppers out early usually doesn't really do much good. Things like tomatoes and peppers can go in the ground early and, if you're lucky, you can catch a break by getting relatively little cool weather after that.  But that's a real risk that may only get you a couple weeks' earlier harvest, at best.  Peppers need consistent warmth to really grow, so you're almost better off waiting an extra week or two before planting them.

Do you harden off your seedlings?  I order my tomatoes and peppers from a place in Delaware, and they need to be hardened off for at least a week before I put them in the ground.  In fact, they're being delivered today (out for delivery as of 7:00 am), but I won't plant them until next weekend.

I'd suggest transplanting them into solo cups filled with potting soil and hardening them off.  If nothing else, that'll get you through any potential cool weather in the next week or so.  Besides...putting peppers out early usually doesn't really do much good. Things like tomatoes and peppers can go in the ground early and, if you're lucky, you can catch a break by getting relatively little cool weather after that.  But that's a real risk that may only get you a couple weeks' earlier harvest, at best.  Peppers need consistent warmth to really grow, so you're almost better off waiting an extra week or two before planting them.

Totally agree on the peppers.  Seems like they do almost nothing until the dog days.  Then they can't be stopped.  Last year, I picked mine the final time by yanking the plants out of the ground and shaking the peppers off.  I'm not sure they would have ever stopped producing peppers and I was tired of canning them.

Totally agree on the peppers.  Seems like they do almost nothing until the dog days.  Then they can't be stopped.  Last year, I picked mine the final time by yanking the plants out of the ground and shaking the peppers off.  I'm not sure they would have ever stopped producing peppers and I was tired of canning them.

Yup.  They really don't do much until the soil is about 75* or so.  Putting them out before lows are consistently around the mid-50s isn't of much use in the grand scheme of things.  Of course, I can't help but put them out a lttle earlier and hope for the best. :D

And I completely agree about them producing once they start.  I haven't had the greatest luck with bell peppers, but my hot peppers are almost uncontrollable once they get going (usually around the beginning of July).  My last tomatoes and peppers come off the plants round about Halloween, and while the tomato plants are usually ravaged by disease and have few fruit by then, the peppers are still loaded with fruit and even putting out flowers.  I'm half tempted to pull and pot one up this winter and see if it can survive in a big south-facing window.

Tomatoes are fine though right? I just got some last weekend, still in the containers they came in. I usually do not get them this early but the place I get them from sells out fast on the Heirloom varieties.

Yup.  They really don't do much until the soil is about 75* or so.  Putting them out before lows are consistently around the mid-50s isn't of much use in the grand scheme of things.  Of course, I can't help but put them out a lttle earlier and hope for the best. :D

And I completely agree about them producing once they start.  I haven't had the greatest luck with bell peppers, but my hot peppers are almost uncontrollable once they get going (usually around the beginning of July).  My last tomatoes and peppers come off the plants round about Halloween, and while the tomato plants are usually ravaged by disease and have few fruit by then, the peppers are still loaded with fruit and even putting out flowers.  I'm half tempted to pull and pot one up this winter and see if it can survive in a big south-facing window.

I'd bet that a pepper plant in the right place might just survive the winter.  Be an interesting experiment to see just what the life span of a pepper plant is.

Tomatoes are fine though right? I just got some last weekend, still in the containers they came in. I usually do not get them this early but the place I get them from sells out fast on the Heirloom varieties.

They can survive a light frost with only some leaf damage, but it would be pushing it to expose them to more than that. I've planted tomatoes and had temps push 35-36 a coue days later, and they turned out fine, though extended cool temps can stunt their growth. If you're concerned about upcoming temps, I'd leave them in their pots and bring them in at night until the long-range looks better.

I'd bet that a pepper plant in the right place might just survive the winter. Be an interesting experiment to see just what the life span of a pepper plant is.

I know of folks who overwinter peppers indoors, but they need good light (natural and/or artificial) and to be kept warm. It's definitely doable - you just need the means and wherewithal to do it.

Archived