Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had temperatures up around freezing last night with downslope winds of 30-50mph next to the foothills here. I will call this a bora event since we were cooling down, and not jumping up to 50 degrees.

I'm concerned about California too, although it doesn't directly affect me.

Just a little breezy for the after dinner stroll in the foothills:

0734 PM     NON-TSTM WND GST 3 S EVERGREEN           39.59N 105.34W
01/13/2014  M102 MPH         JEFFERSON          CO   TRAINED SPOTTER

Musta been some damage with that one.

We're probably gusting into the low 40s here.

Anyone know what the long range forecast looks like for Park City Utah / PCMR?  The next week looks warm and dry per the NWS P&C, but how does the pattern look going forward?  In broad strokes what sort of potential is there for winter weather enthusiasts outside of next week?

I'll be spending a week at the base of PCMR in February and I'm hoping for some cold and snow.

Thanks for any info!

PS:  What teleconnector changes should I be rooting for?  As a NE guy we always wish for a -NAO.  What do the mountain westies wish for?

Thanks!

PS: Go Pats!

Answer to previous question

Well, first of all, you have to look for that ridge to go down. Obviously the models are forecasting a strong ridge (as a strong positive PNA index) in the 8-10 day maps. So you may look for the PNA index to change to a lower value, but it doesn't have to be super negative.  Overall, you look for a trough to form probably in Nevada or California, if you are trying to get snow in Utah.

A look back to 2006 ( about 7 years ago). Blizzard In Action Colorado Christmas 2006 youtube video. This is not my video.

snowfall plot

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/IMAGES/COOP/72HR/2006/20061222_072_total.png

video

Fort Collins totals and anomalies for calendar year 2013

temperature: 0.3F below normal

precipitation: 18.81", which is 117% of normal precipitation, mostly thanks to the days of flooding in September. We got out of the drought

January 1 2013: we had D1 drought (moderate drought) right around the Front Range northern cities

March - April 2013: D2 drought

after the floods: no drought condition in the immediate area.

told ya we would torch

50 degrees for the daily average is a +19 degrees.

--------------..THE DENVER CO CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JANUARY 19 2014    CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010    TEMPERATURE (F)                                                        YESTERDAY                                                               MAXIMUM         65    159 PM                                                                          MINIMUM         35   1152 PM          AVERAGE         50                           

This is the total snow plume for Boulder (BJC-Jeffco) showing an amazing range of 0 to 7.5" possible. Now the actual NAM and GFS show 0.07" and 0.16" for Boulder (1" and 2.4", using 15-1 snow ratio.) So the SREF shows a higher average snowfall total and a higher range of possibilities.

post-1182-0-74363000-1390414902_thumb.jp

What do you think will happen in Aurora?

This is the total snow plume for Boulder (BJC-Jeffco) showing an amazing range of 0 to 7.5" possible. Now the actual NAM and GFS show 0.07" and 0.16" for Boulder (1" and 2.4", using 15-1 snow ratio.) So the SREF shows a higher average snowfall total and a higher range of possibilities.

attachicon.gifBoulder_snow_plume.jpg

We had snow for a long time here- maybe 11:00PM Sunday to 4:00PM Monday,  I got about 4".

Some local storm reports show that there was 3-6" near Fort Collins, and 8" by the Poudre River and north Larimer County

The NAM and GFS seem to be battling out the details with regard to the Rockies storm later this week. Yesterday's GFS had a lot of snow for Cheyenne-- now the GFS says Cheyenne gets almost none. The 4km NAM gives us no snow, and 22" for the Continental Divide (also 0 for Wyoming lowlands). I don't know which way this will trend, but we seem to get at least 1" from every recent snow event.

The 0z ECMWF says there will be snow on Friday (this map is for 09z-Friday morning.)

post-1182-0-22476800-1390937711_thumb.jp

Archived