joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been pouring here for the past 1-2 hours... and we were getting moderate rain most of the day before that. I'm loving it, but I can only imagine what's going on in the canyons.

Pretty serious situation just NW of me in Boulder County.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

FLASH FLOOD WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER CO

946 PM MDT WED SEP 11 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DENVER HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...

NORTHWESTERN JEFFERSON COUNTY IN NORTHEAST COLORADO...

BOULDER COUNTY IN NORTHEAST COLORADO...

* UNTIL 1245 AM MDT

* AT 945 PM MDT...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A CONTINUATION OF

FLASH FLOODING IN BOULDER COUNTY...WITH NUMEROUS ROAD CLOSURES AND

STALLED VEHICLES DUE TO FLOODING.  UP TO 3.5 INCHES OF RAIN HAS

ALREADY FALLEN IN SOUTHEAST BOULDER...WITH WIDESPREAD RAINFALL OF

1.5 TO 2.5 INCHES OVER THE REST OF THE WARNED AREA. ANOTHER ONE TO

AS MUCH AS 2 INCHES OF RAIN CAN BE EXPECTED IN SOME LOCATIONS

BEFORE DECREASING.

Boulder Creek is now above flood stage (5.5ft) at 6.2ft at the downtown library gauge. Also, Fourmile Canyon has mandatory evacuations and there are reports of structure collapses in Jamestown. It's getting ugly out there.

If the rain would just shut off now, I think we could still avert a major emergency. Unfortunately, it looks like another surge of moisture is starting to move in now from the south. Hopefully it won't develop into more heavy rain/t-storms over the Boulder County canyons.

You don't see this too many times. 2.9" in 3-4 days. There was around 2.0" in the last 24 hours according to Cocorahs. The number 2.9" is basically September and October worth of precipitation. The Poudre river went from 3ft to 6ft, although this is not at flood or action stage. I'm sure it's the most significant river depth in a long time.

post-1182-0-04071100-1378996792_thumb.pn

post-1182-0-72826300-1378996839_thumb.gi

Interesting wording here...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER/BOULDER CO
941 AM MDT THU SEP 12 2013

.UPDATE...MAJOR FLOODING/FLASH FLOODING EVENT UNDERWAY AT THIS
TIME WITH BIBLICAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS REPORTED IN MANY AREAS IN/NEAR
THE FOOTHILLS.
PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES IN EXCESS OF AN INCH AND
A QUARTER ON GPS SENSORS CERTAINLY SUPPORT LOTS MORE RAIN TODAY
AND TONIGHT. 13Z HRRR RUN HAS ANOTHER 1-3 INCHES OF RAIN
PREDICTED IN THE FOOTHILLS THROUGH 04Z SO THINGS ARE NOT LOOKING
GOOD. WILL EXTEND THE AREA OF THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH TO INCLUDE
ZONE 43 AND ALSO EXTEND IT IN TIME THROUGH 12Z TOMORROW MORNING.

Here are some photos I took around Boulder. The flooding is certainly bad in spots, but we seem to have just averted a bigger disaster.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10105095860351894.1073741827.9358518&type=1&l=8b13c132ce

A lot of force with that water.  Watching the twitter #boulderflood feed is interesting.  A mix of good pics, decent info, and morons.

I think it's probably best just to keep it in here. We have a small community.

Models are showing the main precipitation plume shifting north out of Colorado this afternoon.

I think we have one more wave of potentially heavy rain to deal with later this afternoon/evening, looking at moisture/precip loops. Hopefully it will mostly miss the hardest hit areas.

I'm up to over 4.2" since Monday. Less than a lot of places to my north and west, and Aurora.

Yeah, I work in Aurora in a very large building near 225 and Colfax (right where the white dots on the image are) and the 18 inch pipes that drain water from the roof to the ground have been absolutely gushing all day, when at most in a heavy downpour they usually are a good trickle. I'd guess we've had 1 to 1.5 inches per hour for 4-5 hours out of 8 today. Basically the whole area is a shallow lake. Wish I had a rain gauge here. Home, 10 miles south, is much better- we've probably had 3 to 3.5 inches.

Did anybody other than a few models in the short term predict this level of craziness?

Updated storm total from FTG radar. White is 10". I never thought I would see that contour around here.   Also 3" plus in Colorado Springs.

post-1182-0-83518300-1379017159_thumb.pn

Our house in Stapleton is fine, but everywhere around the neighborhood is a mess.

I think we saw 11+ inches here in Stapleton...very good use of green space and flood planning really helped...

We were living in Nashville when it flooded 4 years ago, so this is a little too familiar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Archived