Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The models are showing a minor snow event for Larimer, Weld, Cheyenne, and Laramie WY.

Latest NWS discussion suggesting the heavy band could shift further south late in the night, though the models aren't showing it:

THERE IS A SLIGHT CHANCE THAT THIS HEAVIER BAND COULD SHIFT SOUTHWEST TOWARD DENVER OVERNIGHT. FOR NOW WILL KEEP

THIS BAND NORTHEAST OF DENVER.

Thermopolis Wyoming- winds of 51 knots gusting to 55 knots, 26 degrees F. Is this AO2 weather sensor broken, or did this city at 7300ft turn into the North Pole today?

KTBX 142315Z AUTO 30051G55KT OVC001 M03/M04 A3022 RMK AO2 PWINO

This weather station is on a 7300 ft peak, rather than in a city. It is near Boysen Peak, near Boysen Reservoir. That could explain the harsh conditions.

We should see some 2-4" amounts in Fort Collins, going up to the Cheyenne Ridge and north Weld County.

Uh oh. Guess what day it is. Guess what day it is. The first day the models forecast a 3-6" snow event for Denver. this is the ECMWF 00z, 150 hour. The ECMWF is forecasting a long-duration snow here. the GFS has the upper trough a little more to the north, though.

post-1182-0-65534500-1382550680_thumb.pn

Two things: 1) great pictures. best Fall color I've seen since we moved- this is my 4th fall in CO. 2) It will definitely snow next Tuesday because I will not be here- visiting family and friends in New England where some are speculating on a Halloween ice storm. :axe: Also, Halloween will be WS game 7 in Boston if it goes that far- would love to see a World Series ice storm- would certainly be the first! I can see it now - a slide into 3rd base, followed by the dugout...

The cottonwoods seem to have kept the green longer than others this year. Ash trees seem to be nicely red. Maybe something to do with the wet soil. I'm not an expert on trees though.

I like it when it's warm in October, so I was not that pleased to see the models predicting the storm, as I posted earlier in this thread.

NOAA is back to work, the ESRL web page and Reanalysis is working again. Reanalysis shows that October 1st-20th 500mb anomalies show that most of the rest of the North American continent and northeast Pacific had positive anomalies, and the Rockies and Great Basin had negatives!

The weather models have changed their tune quite a bit, for the weather on Front Range.  I previously had thought that Tuesday would be snowy and 25 degrees and then we would slowly get back to the low 50's.  I looks like we could see upper 40's to mid 50's around here, with much less precip, little chance of accumulating snow.

We had thunder and lightning at 1:20AM... didn't look outside.... snow is in my yard. I guess that means we got thundersnow, or snow fell just after we had a cold rain thunderstorm.

We had 0.1" of drizzle over the last two days.

I did go outside and it started out as rain/graupel/ice/snow mix at my location in central FOCO and finished up as snow.

My wife and I are flying into Denver late next week and staying in Estes Park. Can any of you mountain mets whip up some snow for us? :)

Glad you're staying in Estes- they could really use the revenue after the floods + gov't shutdown!

Might be some flurries to at least make it look a little wintry. Best chance of some more snow looks to be if you go up into RMNP.

How will you get to Estes Park?  US 36?  I think US 34 is still closed for rebuilding. It's a shame that US 34 had damage. They designed it nicely after the 1976 flood.

The contiguous US was a little bit below normal for October, with much of the western states around 2 to 4 degrees F below normal.

Archived