Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually precipitable water is high, compared to normal. We have some large hail now over the foothills, west of Boulder! Storms are moving sort of slowly. Too bad it is a scorcher and we can't seem to get rain out of this. 96.8 degrees at 4:10PM. Dew point is still 50 here.

Storms went crazy near here and formed into a squall line.  I got a picture of a roll cloud. I saw 1/2" hail (maybe a bit larger) and 1/4" hail. Saw gale force wind gusts.  There have been several 1" hail reports in Fort Collins. Estimated 60mph wind gust in Fort Collins (some other spotter, not me.) GRLevel3 was not updating right- it was about 20 minutes late (and still is.)

post-1182-0-32441500-1372473993_thumb.jp

post-1182-0-23349800-1372474134_thumb.pn

I think I might have seen some ball lightning over Boulder tonight. It was a glowing blue disk that just hovered for a little while and then floated down toward the ground before going away. I'm skeptical about ball lightning, but I'm not sure what else it could have been. Here's a couple shots. It was round... just got distorted because of shaky hands and lack of a tripod.

post-762-0-26164200-1372485171_thumb.png

June 2013 looks like it tied for 10th warmest all-time at DEN with 71.1 F. Cooler than expected the last 2 days. Dry too, though last evening at my house we got 1/2 inch of rain in about 40 minutes and 1/2 inch hail for a minute or so. First time I've been able to hit "rain delay" on my sprinklers this season! :)

I was lucky to be on top of Storm Mountain west of Loveland for the Friday night storms and was able to get some great photos as the Fort Collins hail storm came into my location as it moved south. I've only had time to process one but thought folks here might enjoy:

Storm Mountain Tempest by Fort Photo, on Flickr

That picture looks very nice. The colors of the clouds almost look too processed. It looks like you are in the lower foothills, but Storm Mountain is 9987ft. (right?)

That picture looks very nice. The colors of the clouds almost look too processed. It looks like you are in the lower foothills, but Storm Mountain is 9987ft. (right?)

It isn't on the summit, if you look on the linked image map on fickr you can see pretty close to where I was. It's in a former burn area and thus there are wide open views like this.

It seems for years now I have taken a photograph of a rainbow on July 4th, not looking too likely for this year.  Too bad, a week ago it looked like the rain might have continued all through the week. Sure hope we avoid any new fires from folks lighting off fireworks. 

I processed another of that storm that pounded Fort Collins.  I think Chinook might like this one better because it was after the sun had gone down and the funky sunset glowy colors objected to in the first post (they were really there, some of the strangest light I've seen) are not on this one:

9198901283_b8102971a2_c.jpg
Organically Grown Fireworks by Fort Photo, on Flickr

Both pictures are really beautiful. Undoubtedly there were hundreds of bolts and perhaps over 100 cloud-to-ground bolts around Fort Collins that day. There was almost constant rumbling, but I never heard any ear-splitting thunder.  It was better than any lightning I saw last year, I believe. It was the best combo of semi-severe elements and interesting cloud motions I've seen in a while, all while giving my area about 0.5" which was quite helpful. I think the SPC storm reports showed a 1.75" hail at Longmont. I think I can safely say that Fort Collins is back in the drought, regardless of the exact rainfall values recently.  I think this now qualifies as a multi-year drought, as most of the time between April 2012 and now we have had a drought status of D1 or higher.

Denver and Fort Collins MEX MOS. Too toasty? Hopefully we'll stay below 95.

KFNL   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE   7/05/2013  1200 UTC                       

SAT 06| SUN 07| MON 08| TUE 09| WED 10| THU 11| FRI 12|SAT
 N/X  61  98| 61  96| 60  98| 61  98| 59  92| 59  94| 62  96| 60

GFSX MOS (MEX)
 KDEN   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE   7/05/2013  1200 UTC                       

SAT 06| SUN 07| MON 08| TUE 09| WED 10| THU 11| FRI 12|SAT
 N/X  64  97| 64  97| 64  99| 65  96| 61  95| 61  95| 64  98| 63

Highlights of late.

SLC highs for the heatwave,

The 105 was a June record.

We've had some soaking rains from storms the last few days. We had a tremendous storm today with wild rain, wind, lightning. A tree across the street got hit and man was it loud.

Also last night had lightning every 1-2 seconds for about 30 minutes. Fun times!

Las Vegas flood would be nicely timed with the fire near Mt Charleston.

BOU AFD this morning was really interesting and weird. Might we actually see a cool, wet upslope pattern late this weekend/early next week- sounds like monsoon combined with anomalous ULL? Would be fun. Haven't experienced that in my 3 summers here yet. The light thunderstorm with rain last night was refreshing, though only about 0.1" of rain- and left us with a "steamy" dewpoint in the upper 50s early this morning. Hope to repeat today.

Las Vegas flood would be nicely timed with the fire near Mt Charleston.

BOU AFD this morning was really interesting and weird. Might we actually see a cool, wet upslope pattern late this weekend/early next week- sounds like monsoon combined with anomalous ULL? Would be fun. Haven't experienced that in my 3 summers here yet. The light thunderstorm with rain last night was refreshing, though only about 0.1" of rain- and left us with a "steamy" dewpoint in the upper 50s early this morning. Hope to repeat today.

July 2011 was one of the wettest months in history for much of the Denver metro area, although Boulder didn't get nearly as much that month for some reason. But yeah, this pattern looks different than anything I've seen and certainly has the potential to be extremely wet in places. NWS thinks flash flooding is a real concern and I agree.

I was kind of in the sweet spot yesterday evening and got almost .5" of rain from the storms that moved through. Feels downright sticky out today. Humidity/DPs way higher than yesterday.

That one was not too far east of us on Sat night, though too far east to give any rain. I did get a great view of a cumulus tower building on the back edge around 6:30 PM- went from a bump to a big mass with a flattening top in like 12-15 minutes. The storm was briefly TOR warned about 5:30 in central Arapahoe county, but nothing came of it.

Archived