Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Front Range cities will see a slight chance of a thunderstorm in the next few days-- today through Saturday. Each of these days, deep layer wind shear will be 25 to 40 knots, so there may be some severe storm development.

I'll edit this a little bit. I think instability looks best tomorrow, but it's still under 1000 J/kg. We may have a few thunderstorms tomorrow. For Friday and Saturday, models have the best CAPE values in eastern Colorado, so I don't think we will have much coverage of showers and thunderstorms over the Front Range corridor on those days.

Got a nice thunderstorm yesterday evening here, picked up about .20" in 40 minutes with a fair amount of lightning.

NWS is saying  very little chance of convection today due to the strong cap with cooler air mass. It certainly is cool and moist out there...actually pretty foggy here in Boulder this morning. If things can manage to clear up in the next couple hours and we get some warming, though - I would think there could still be a chance for some convection with so much moisture around.

Today was gloomy for a while here, then we had partly/mostly cloudy, with 25mph wind gusts from the east. RH stayed high, compared to most days.

Actually Laramie had sustained SE winds of over 30 knots for quite some time. Usually Wyoming would have winds like that from other directions!

Do most storms develop in June in CO? Do storms tend to fire closer to Denver after a majority of the snow melts in the Rockies? It kind of seems that way since I've been in Denver.

June and July are the biggest t-storm months, with June the biggest severe month (hail is the biggest issue for locations close to the urban corridor). T-storms are a little more frequent during the monsoon season, typically July to early August, where they often develop over the Front Range then drift east. Lack of snow helps the convection a bit, but other factors (primarily mid-upper level moisture) generate the juice.

I was riding in the passenger seat of a car going to Denver yesterday, and I had my camera with me. I wasn't doing storm chasing.  I saw a double rainbow to the east, but I could get my camera over to that side of the car to get that picture.  Here are my photos of a shower (small cumulonimbus) cloud near Denver. I thought the cloud edges were very interesting.

post-1182-0-73826800-1370463690_thumb.jp

post-1182-0-54351100-1370463691_thumb.jp

post-1182-0-22826600-1370463692_thumb.jp

post-1182-0-00177400-1370463693_thumb.jp

post-1182-0-67911800-1370463693_thumb.jp

GFS MOS says 102 for Fort Collins airport. I suppose we will get to 97-102 for this area tomorrow.  

It has been one year exactly since the High Park Fire started. Thankfully, we are not in such a drought now.

It looks like some larger dust storms are starting to hit southeast Colorado. I read this article and I was a bit confused as to which day this happened (dust storm)

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_23420681/massive-dust-storms-hit-southeast-colorado-evoking-dirty

Denver/Boulder discussion from today

OTHERWISE LOOKING FOR WARM TEMPERATURES OVERNIGHT
AND HOT TEMPERATURES TOMORROW. COULD SEE RECORDS TIED AND EVEN
BROKEN TOMORROW. RECORD HIGH AT DENVER FOR THE DATE IS 97. THE
FORECAST IS FOR 97. COULD SEE THE CENTURY MARK AT SEVERAL LOCALES
ON THE PLAINS AS WELL.

LONG TERM...

DOWNSLOPE WINDS ALONG THE FRONT RANGE WILL NEGATE ANY
COOLING AND EXPECT HIGHS AT LEAST IN THE MID 90S. THE EASTERN PLAINS
WILL BE WARMER ON TUESDAY WITH HIGHS GETTING CLOSE TO 100 DEGREES.

I read that article too and was similarly confused. Friday 5/24, the day they seemed to cite, was a windy day at the Lamar ASOS (average 22.8 mph with a peak gust of 49) but didn't seem as bad from NWS records as teh article indicated. Really terrible though that the minor (and now seemingly temporary) relief we have had north of the Palmer Divide didn't touch SE Colorado.

I am smelling some of the smoke from RMNP(Big Meadows) obviously the winds have taken this plume 40+ miles and the smell has been here in Fort Collins for 30 minutes to an hour.  The sunshine looks orange, and the sun is shining brightly through the smoke plume.

There were a few 100+ F dewpoint/temp spreads across eastern CO today (RH 2-3%!), and DEN had its earliest 100 degree temp on record (old record 6/14/2006). Dang. The apocalypse is upon us.

Nice pic, famartin

Yeah, I saw the temp/dew point spreads that were insane. I saw 101 degrees on my car thermometer. We had some nice coolish early June days, then it's like we got time-warped to last summer, with fires and 100 degree temperatures, all in just 2 days.  A 100-acre forest fire is not an apocalypse. We need to get re-time-warped into our 80 degree June. And then get some rain on these fires.

It looks like a solid chance for strong winds and maybe some dry t-storms with powerful outflow for the burn area today per NWS.  Any thoughts from the mets on how things will develop around the Black Forest Fire today?  Already the most destructive CO wildfire with 360+ homes gone, I fear with the addition of wind it could get much worse this afternoon again.

Looks like we could have some severe storms in the Front Range area today.

I think today could be a storm-chase day around here, with reasonable storm motions and decent shear. The radar so far has shown that the area is mainly capped with high-based cumulus.

I think tomorrow there could be a medium coverage for severe weather for northeast Colorado. Maybe even some hailstorms near Denver. The GFS shows some pretty big lapse rates with dew points around 50, CAPE of 1500-2000 J/kg and 0-6km shear may be up to around 50 knots for a few areas.

That thing was ridiculously close to the radar.

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 245 PM MDT FORNORTHEASTERN DENVER AND WESTERN ADAMS COUNTIES...AT 224 PM MDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED OVER EASTERN DENVERINTERNATIONAL AIRPORT...OR 18 MILES NORTHEAST OF DENVER...MOVINGNORTH AT 5 MPH.HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.SOURCE...RADAR CONFIRMED TORNADO.IMPACT...MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. DAMAGE TO         ROOFS...WINDOWS AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. FLYING DEBRIS WILL         BE DEADLY TO PEOPLE AND ANIMALS. TREE DAMAGE IS LIKELY.LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...NORTHEASTERN AURORA...DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AND D.I.A.TERMINAL AND CONCOURSES.

Archived