Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday was by far the better day to hit the trails. Alas, I had to settle for today. Forecast was calling for increasing clouds and a chance of mid-afternoon showers. Good enough! I made sure to pack my raingear along with food staples such as M&M's and Oreos and hit the road. I made it to Pinkham Notch around 7:15 under bluebird skies and a temp in the low 50s I believe. Saw some peeps from CT shucking oysters at the trailhead - it was that nice! I went up Lion Head Trail by way of Tuckerman Ravine Trail on a mission of redemption. Last week's fog and drizzle was but a distant memory. Awesome to see snow in mid-June. Tuckerman Ravine Trail is in fact closed after Hermit Lake due to dangerous snow conditions.

After taking in Tuckerman I strolled on the Alpine Garden over to Huntington Ravine. I hadn't been on this trail prior to last week, so it was really neat to see what the fog had concealed. Unfortunately I lost the sun here.

I went to the Mount Washington summit to have a brief snack and check the radar and current conditions (48° with winds gusting in the 30s), then headed to the Great Gulf headwall and then looped around to the south to check out Mount Monroe and Little Monroe. The pic below shows the Lakes of the Clouds hut with MWN 1.5 miles in the distance.

attachicon.gif

Turning to the south, I saw the southern Presidentials as they peeled off to the south. My Kestrel measured winds of upper teens with a temp of 54°… no complaints!

By this time the overcast was getting darker and I knew I had a few miles to go before I dipped below treeline. So I picked up the pace in an effort to beat the rain. There was a brief shower that was heavy e.ought to warrant stashing away the camera, but it was fleeting. Just before I went back in the trees I looked back up Tuckerman Ravine and noticed the summit buildings were obscured by clouds.

Right after that it began to rain, this time in earnest. It picked up in intensity the lower in elevation I was, and by the time I was back at the trailhead I was pretty well soaked. But it was a great day on the trail - above treeline for about 6 hours. I think between my two cameras I snapped over 250 pics. lol.

I remember hiking back in '97 with a grad school friend and we had been hiking all day and approached Lake of the Clouds. We had gotten lost earlier in the day and added a couple extra miles. By this time, my legs were like jelly and I could barely carry the little bit of extra weight from my sleeping bag. When I saw the Hut, I was so happy thinking this is where we were going to crash. The heck with the tent that night. We walked into the hut and I noticed the nice bunk beds and figured we'd be all set. Turns out you have to have a reservation. They kindly told us the tent platform was another mile down the trail. Uhh!!! After getting rained on that night with a leaky tent, the next morning we have to hike back up to the trail head. Legs were so stiff. Long story short, we made a couple more bad turns on the trail and nearly ended at the top of MWN again. Both of us weer cooked and hitched a ride down on the tailgate of a guys truck, then walked to Pinkham Notch. Lol. Still was a great trip. I love hiking up there.

Boy I was really hoping for some water for all my hydroseeding. We got all that rain then nada here. Looks like showers and storms are finding every way to go around me today. Outlook looks dry. I can keep the sprinklers wetting the surface but don't have enough water for a deep soak. Ground is still okay but drying out quickly now.

Boy I was really hoping for some water for all my hydroseeding. We got all that rain then nada here. Looks like showers and storms are finding every way to go around me today. Outlook looks dry. I can keep the sprinklers wetting the surface but don't have enough water for a deep soak. Ground is still okay but drying out quickly now.

Similar story here... those storms skirted me and I came out with 0.00

I meant to ask but how much did your hydroseeding cost and how much acreage? I hear its not that bad, about a 1/3 the cost of sod. I wish we went with the hydro.

Well, the skeeters are out in Burlington....as expected. Record wet May and June = lots of ponded water. Gonna be a bad few weeks of bugs.

Could use a good 10 day stretch of sun to start to dry things out.

Yeah gonna be a run on bug spray at the local stores...could get pretty bad now with standing water and higher water tables everywhere.

Turned into a beautiful afternoon up here with just the usual cold pool aloft fair weather cumulus, primarily over the higher terrain.

Briefly got up to 68F out here, but the periodic clouds rolling off the mountain have generally kept us 65-ish.

Currently 65F at my house with a dew of 44F at MVL.

FYI when I post my obs I tend to use my temps on the digital but use MVL's dew points to avoid the home station dews vs ASOS stuff....but I run usually very close to MVL being within 50ft elevation of that spot and generally the same valley between Mansfield and Worecester Range. Only time I notice some differences are in meso-scale events with clouds/precip and wind.

About 40 this morning at my place, nice and crispy but not all that unusual.  Will probably be down close to that again tomorrow, then the gradual warmup begins.

Yesterday's 64/44 pulled the month's temp to 0.2F below the 15-yr avg here - took 15 days to overcome the +16/+16/+10 start.

I completely missed that.

I wonder at what point does BTV issue frost advisories this time of year...obviously doesn't seem to be that much of a concern having the icebox spots get near freezing.

GYX mentioned possible isolated frost in mt valleys tonight, but said it was a low enough threat that no advisory was warranted.

BTV's AFD spelled it out for me like that, too...

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 414 PM EDT WEDNESDAY...HIGH PRESSURE TO CREST OVER THE

REGION TONIGHT. EXPECTING CLEAR SKIES OVERNIGHT. ALSO EXPECTING

SOME RADIATION FOG TO FORM IN THE SHELTERED VALLEYS OF EASTERN

VERMONT AND THE SHELTERED VALLEYS OF THE ADIRONDACKS. ANY FOG THAT

FORMS WILL DEVELOP AFTER MIDNIGHT AND WILL DISSIPATE JUST AFTER

SUNRISE. EXPECTING SOME TEMPERATURES IN THE SHELTERED VALLEYS OF

THE ADIRONDACKS TO DROP BELOW FREEZING LATE TONIGHT...MAINLY AT

SARANAC LAKE. IF ANY FROST FORMS IN THE ADIRONDACKS OVERNIGHT...IT

WILL BE ISOLATED AND MAINLY BE CONFINED TO THE MORE SHELTERED

VALLEYS. THUS...HAVE NOT PUT UP ANY FROST ADVISORY AS ANY FROST

THAT FORMS WILL BE ISOLATED AT BEST.

Looking at the minimum temps last night, if we go cooler tonight that's pretty chilly for June 19-20...

The BTV suburbs got pretty cold last night for those areas... Williston & Westford with 41F and 38F at West Bolton/Nashville at 800ft. 

I'm just going out on a limb and will guess the 61F low is wrong in the NE Kingdom.

MAV has 30F at SLK, 33 at HIE, and 34F at BML tonight. Chilly, but nothing unheard of.

I was just trying to find some records and the Tupper Lake, NY (not quite as cold as SLK, but much longer period of record) in the Adirondacks has a record low of 29F on the 19th and 26F on the 20th.  Period of record is 1899 to present.  So yeah, nothing that would threaten records I would assume given mid/upper 20s records in the Adirondack cold spots this time of year.

Interesting to note though that these two dates are the last two days with record lows in the 20s at that station... starting the 21st, all the records are in the lower 30s.

Morrisville 4S (which I think must be MVL) has a record low tomorrow morning of 36F and MPV has 40F.   The MPV record seems odd though as the record on the 19th is 33F and the 20th is 40F.  That just looks like a vulnerable day based on the surrounding records in the 30s.

Such a beautiful day today.  Although my hiking exploits were not nearly as ambitious as MaineJayHawk's, I still had a nice hike on Mt. Cardigan today.  

Looking towards the south peak: 

944721_10100869240262447_927804608_n.jpg

A helicopter practicing "touch-and-goes" on Firescrew Mountain:

1015945_10100869172697847_2034387053_o.j

Me resting near the summit lookout tower.  I chilled here for about 45 minutes, it was so nice.

1116_10100869240956057_409134832_n.jpg

View off the south peak:

1012605_10100869237108767_1257964496_n.j

Looking back towards Cardigan's summit:

1017492_10100869236544897_990513674_n.jp

Some bunchberry (will have tasty berries later this summer)  and a starflower.  I thought I got a beautiful picture of some flowering clintonia, but my camera apparently pooped out.   :(

1025433_10100869235986017_1571908354_o.j

1025637_10100869235437117_1191702612_o.j

(Sorry if this was more appropriate for OT, but these pictures wouldn't have been taken were it not for the beautiful weather we have right now.  :))

Such a beautiful day today. Although my hiking exploits were not nearly as ambitious as MaineJayHawk's, I still had a nice hike on Mt. Cardigan today.

(Sorry if this was more appropriate for OT, but these pictures wouldn't have been taken were it not for the beautiful weather we have right now. :))

Pics always appreciated in the NNE thread ;)

Nice shots.

Such a beautiful day today.  Although my hiking exploits were not nearly as ambitious as MaineJayHawk's, I still had a nice hike on Mt. Cardigan today.  

Looking towards the south peak: 

A helicopter practicing "touch-and-goes" on Firescrew Mountain:

1015945_10100869172697847_2034387053_o.j

Me resting near the summit lookout tower.  I chilled here for about 45 minutes, it was so nice.

View off the south peak:

Looking back towards Cardigan's summit:

Some bunchberry (will have tasty berries later this summer)  and a starflower.  I thought I got a beautiful picture of some flowering clintonia, but my camera apparently pooped out.   :(

(Sorry if this was more appropriate for OT, but these pictures wouldn't have been taken were it not for the beautiful weather we have right now.  :))

Are those windmills or power lines in the background?

Archived