• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

Had a half inch of rain yesterday evening and last night... looks like this event may stay below an inch up here.  We'll see but this much better to get a drawn out soaking rather than a 2-4" deluge in 12-18 hours. 

I looked at the MVL obs when I woke up and was like hmmm, it only showed a trace of precipitation all night.  I had right around a half inch in my generic garden rain gauge.  Checked the local obs and it seems MVL's precip must be on the fritz because there are a lot of 0.4-0.6" amounts in this area.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a half inch of rain yesterday evening and last night... looks like this event may stay below an inch up here.  We'll see but this much better to get a drawn out soaking rather than a 2-4" deluge in 12-18 hours. 

A notable change from what the KURO was forecasting.  Hmmm ....

Meanwhile, rain has started in Portland.  Let the fun begin.

A notable change from what the KURO was forecasting.  Hmmm ....

Meanwhile, rain has started in Portland.  Let the fun begin.

Heaviest rain will certainly be south/east of here... that axis from PHL to PWM should get smoked. 

The usual QPF distribution of a coastal storm that is just too far south/east for up here ;) 

Most models have an additional 0.25-0.5" up here so we should be near an inch storm total but not like the 2-5" amounts in that axis through SNE.

The forecast for Saturday in the White Mountains was rather grim - summits obscured with the likelihood for showers. But despite that I decided to go high again this week. I planned on ascending Boott Spur, which is one of Mount Washington's sub-peaks, then circle around Tuckerman Ravine and Huntington Ravine and then descend Nelson Crag, another MWN sub-peak. I wasn't expecting jack for views, which makes one wonder why I would go to the trouble in the first place. I have no answer.

I made it an early morning ... boots on trail at 5:50a with some light rain. Donned the raingear and headed out. I came upon Crystal Cascade pretty quickly and was impressed with the water flow. The trail itself was essentially an active streambed. Forget trying to stay dry today! About 80 minutes into the hike I approached treeline and was pleased to find that there was a clear layer and I had a reasonable view into Tuckerman Ravine, with a lil undercast for dramatic photo effects :)

post-254-0-85168600-1370715069_thumb.jpg

I kept on after a short time, hoping to poach a decent day. I ascended Boott Spur and shortly afterward had crosswinds of about 20 mph blow mist on me and visibility dropped to a few hundred yards. It was pretty miserable conditions at this point while atop the headwall of Tuckerman Ravine. However, as I made my way to the Alpine Garden I was pleased to see the sun make an appearance. Still lots of clouds around but things were looking up. This is a view of Tuckerman Ravine from the opposite side of the previous picture.

post-254-0-88482100-1370715097_thumb.jpg

The sunshine was fleeting, though. Thirty minutes later I was at the headwall of Huntington Ravine and once again the visibility was down and fog/wind/mist made for tough travel.

post-254-0-00749200-1370715125_thumb.jpg

I was making good time and soon had the option of heading for the MWN summit or heading back to the trailhead, but with the crappy conditions I chose to head downhill. The way down was terribly slow with a steep, rocky trail whose wet rocks were extremely slippery. Hand-to-hand combat with the trail and it took over an hour to traverse 1.5 miles. The sun came out again after I dipped below treeline and as I approached my car in the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center I noticed some tourists were taking pictures of Tuckerman Ravine. I looked up and sure enough saw that the summits were clearing out nicely. Alas! But I cannot complain too loudly as I had a much nicer day than I was expecting. I will certainly revisit this loop on a nicer day.

as always, great pics! i keep talking about all the hiking i want to do, and i've been working out so i can attempt to do some of the hikes i have in the back of my mind...but, as personality goes, i'm not a solo hiker, and i don't have a reliable hiking partner...truthfully, i may never hike at all this season :(

Wow, great photos! I've done a couple of small hikes this season, hoping to get into it more as summer goes on. Like Diane, I'm a little lacking on following through with going more often. I'm thinking of going tomorrow, but not sure where. Maybe Smarts Mountain? It isn't too far from here and I've already done the nearby peaks of Ascutney and Cardigan.

Diane, have you ever tried solo hiking? I thought I wouldn't be into it but I actually ended up loving it. You don't have to worry about your pace vs. others, and there's something really special about coming across a beautiful vista or waterfall and having it all to yourself. Anyways, at some point this summer I hope to meet up with you and do at least one hike together. :)

as always, great pics! i keep talking about all the hiking i want to do, and i've been working out so i can attempt to do some of the hikes i have in the back of my mind...but, as personality goes, i'm not a solo hiker, and i don't have a reliable hiking partner...truthfully, i may never hike at all this season :(

How many times did you do MWN while we were at LSC?

Had 2.64" rain from the Andrea remnants. The heaviest fell in 2 bursts while I slept...one around 3a and the other near 530a. Looks like another wet period Mon night into Wed at times.

How many times did you do MWN while we were at LSC?

Had 2.64" rain from the Andrea remnants. The heaviest fell in 2 bursts while I slept...one around 3a and the other near 530a. Looks like another wet period Mon night into Wed at times.

never hiked MWN while at LSC...i had good intentions, but our freshman year i think i drank way too much the night before and overslept...no idea what happened my sophmore year...and then i left LSC for other things...

oh well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions  :)

just got our septic redone and they finished regrading and seeding the back yard on Thursday...heavy rain and grass seed don't mix well...now we patches of densely seeded areas vs bare areas...oh well...figures it would happen that way...

Awesome pics! I took a trip up Mt. Mansfield today :) I didn't see Powderfreak but one of these days it would be cool to meet him. Here are some pics I took (yes via the toll road so I guess that is cheating LOL). Yes the white you see in one of the pics is a remaining patch of snow on June 9th!

post-139-0-31395700-1370816407_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-05844300-1370816446_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-17794500-1370816521_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-96240300-1370816536_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-89395800-1370816568_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-17239900-1370816612_thumb.jpg

Nice pics dude! I've been loving the clouds this afternoon...I like when they have the extremely flat bases and start breaking up to allow the rays of sunshine through. Always surreal. And I've been watching that patch of snow from the other side of the mountain (Gondi side) this afternoon haha. That's one of four piles I know of left on the mountain...in 2011 we still had piles left on July 4th. Doubt they make it this year though the half-pipe might come close.

Definitely let me know next time you're in the area! You know where I'll be most days.

Wow, great photos! I've done a couple of small hikes this season, hoping to get into it more as summer goes on. Like Diane, I'm a little lacking on following through with going more often. I'm thinking of going tomorrow, but not sure where. Maybe Smarts Mountain? It isn't too far from here and I've already done the nearby peaks of Ascutney and Cardigan.

Diane, have you ever tried solo hiking? I thought I wouldn't be into it but I actually ended up loving it. You don't have to worry about your pace vs. others, and there's something really special about coming across a beautiful vista or waterfall and having it all to yourself. Anyways, at some point this summer I hope to meet up with you and do at least one hike together. :)

once i get started on the hike, i don't mind being alone...but getting myself up in the morning and getting into the car for a 3hr drive to the white mtns...well, i'm more apt to wimp out and go back to bed if no one is relying on me to meet them somewhere or pick them up

Nice pics dude! I've been loving the clouds this afternoon...I like when they have the extremely flat bases and start breaking up to allow the rays of sunshine through. Always surreal. And I've been watching that patch of snow from the other side of the mountain (Gondi side) this afternoon haha. That's one of four piles I know of left on the mountain...in 2011 we still had piles left on July 4th. Doubt they make it this year though the half-pipe might come close.

Definitely let me know next time you're in the area! You know where I'll be most days.

Thank you and I definitely will.

The forecast for Saturday in the White Mountains was rather grim - summits obscured with the likelihood for showers. But despite that I decided to go high again this week. I planned on ascending Boott Spur, which is one of Mount Washington's sub-peaks, then circle around Tuckerman Ravine and Huntington Ravine and then descend Nelson Crag, another MWN sub-peak. I wasn't expecting jack for views, which makes one wonder why I would go to the trouble in the first place. I have no answer.

I made it an early morning ... boots on trail at 5:50a with some light rain. Donned the raingear and headed out. I came upon Crystal Cascade pretty quickly and was impressed with the water flow. The trail itself was essentially an active streambed. Forget trying to stay dry today! About 80 minutes into the hike I approached treeline and was pleased to find that there was a clear layer and I had a reasonable view into Tuckerman Ravine, with a lil undercast for dramatic photo effects :)

I kept on after a short time, hoping to poach a decent day. I ascended Boott Spur and shortly afterward had crosswinds of about 20 mph blow mist on me and visibility dropped to a few hundred yards. It was pretty miserable conditions at this point while atop the headwall of Tuckerman Ravine. However, as I made my way to the Alpine Garden I was pleased to see the sun make an appearance. Still lots of clouds around but things were looking up. This is a view of Tuckerman Ravine from the opposite side of the previous picture.

The sunshine was fleeting, though. Thirty minutes later I was at the headwall of Huntington Ravine and once again the visibility was down and fog/wind/mist made for tough travel.

I was making good time and soon had the option of heading for the MWN summit or heading back to the trailhead, but with the crappy conditions I chose to head downhill. The way down was terribly slow with a steep, rocky trail whose wet rocks were extremely slippery. Hand-to-hand combat with the trail and it took over an hour to traverse 1.5 miles. The sun came out again after I dipped below treeline and as I approached my car in the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center I noticed some tourists were taking pictures of Tuckerman Ravine. I looked up and sure enough saw that the summits were clearing out nicely. Alas! But I cannot complain too loudly as I had a much nicer day than I was expecting. I will certainly revisit this loop on a nicer day.

Nice pics as ususal. We were up in Grafton Notch last wknd and hiked West Baldpate. Hoping to get to MWN this summer. I've got some wicked tendonitis that's quite painful while hiking. Between hiking and cycling, I can't seem to listen to my wife and take some time off for it to heal.

once i get started on the hike, i don't mind being alone...but getting myself up in the morning and getting into the car for a 3hr drive to the white mtns...well, i'm more apt to wimp out and go back to bed if no one is relying on me to meet them somewhere or pick them up

I hear ya on that... I forgot that for you it is a really long drive to get somewhere worthwhile.  I haven't been willing to drive more than a half hour either lately (even though the Whites are a little closer to me).  I saw your post about your recent hike in OT and I'm glad you found a positive angle to your hike.  Don't listen to the idiots saying "tl;dr" and such... I understand the feeling of being lonely and how wonderful it is to find a kindred spirit in nature. I promise I'll meet up with you at some point; recently it has been difficult for me to predict  when I needed to work or do other family-related functions.   :(

Archived