• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

Drove from Burlington to peacham earlier. Saw at least 50 trees down on/near route 2. Marshfield was a hot mess. Multiple power lines down, lots of car and structure damage. Also, I hear North Danville is in tough shape as well. Power out in peacham. Just a few minor twigs and trees down at my place, lucked out this time.

Heard the same from a friend I ran in to at the grocery store who lives up there. He heard it may be a day or two before its all restored.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drove from Burlington to peacham earlier. Saw at least 50 trees down on/near route 2. Marshfield was a hot mess. Multiple power lines down, lots of car and structure damage. Also, I hear North Danville is in tough shape as well. Power out in peacham. Just a few minor twigs and trees down at my place, lucked out this time.

Things here in the village were in control. Some nice wind with the first line but the worst missed us. Looks like it was close though. We only lost power for a few seconds.

Heard the same from a friend I ran in to at the grocery store who lives up there. He heard it may be a day or two before its all restored.

I saw MPV at the airport had 40kt/46mph wind gust with the line of storms...curious what the wind speeds were like in the hardest hit areas.  Straight line winds can be pretty impressive in localized bursts.

I saw MPV at the airport had 40kt/46mph wind gust with the line of storms...curious what the wind speeds were like in the hardest hit areas. Straight line winds can be pretty impressive in localized bursts.

I was up by the airport right when things were starting to get nasty. 40kt doesn't surprise me. Never really hit here though. The radar at the time showed red north and south of me. All we got was some strong gusts and a brief downpour. I didn't even see any lightning.

Thank you and I actually attempted a mini chase to Waterbury/Montpelier and saw some 30-40 gusts and a few pings of small hail. It looked like it was a bit worse to the south but I guess we will know if some reports come in. We will see if we can get any new storms ahead of the front itself tonight but it will take some time for the atmosphere to recover (if it does at all in time).

Sounds like you should have driven up Rt. 2 between MPV and St. J or southeast from Barre. Reports of damage in East Montpelier/Plainfield/Marshfield.

Gust front was pretty impressive with that first line of cells. Unfortunately for me I was not able to measure the wind. Arguably a case for the most powerful winds I've expereinced at the cabin since I started building it 2 years ago. Based on the number of small trees/large branches down, I may have experienced winds in the upper 40's- low 50's. Power was still out when I left at 6:30.

Nice cool (literally) gust front at 5:15 PM, peak maybe 35 so nothing spectacular IMBY - stronger a  mile to the west where it tipped some trees onto powerlines.  I was able to drive by - no sparks or anything -A few close (3-4 second delay) strikes and 10-15/minute, decent garden-variety TS though RA was underwhelming at 0.15", then another tenth in a quieter shower a couple hr later.  Interesting cocorahs data, with almost all stations except the dry Downeast in the 0.1" to 0.45" range.  Littleton, north of HUL, had 1.6" as they had repeated showers thru the day, and "New Portland 11.8 NNW" (actually in Highland Plantation on the Long Falls Dam Road) splashed with 3.42" - got nailed by the mid-aft cells then again when the line came thru a couple hr later.  Reports of very strong winds at Bigelow Lodge with many blowdowns, and a co-worker has gone up to check.

Had a "New Sharon heatwave" Fri-Sun.  At my location and instrument placement, 85 is hot, and those three days brought 86/89/87.

Nice cool (literally) gust front at 5:15 PM, peak maybe 35 so nothing spectacular IMBY - stronger a  mile to the west where it tipped some trees onto powerlines.  I was able to drive by - no sparks or anything -A few close (3-4 second delay) strikes and 10-15/minute, decent garden-variety TS though RA was underwhelming at 0.15", then another tenth in a quieter shower a couple hr later.  Interesting cocorahs data, with almost all stations except the dry Downeast in the 0.1" to 0.45" range.  Littleton, north of HUL, had 1.6" as they had repeated showers thru the day, and "New Portland 11.8 NNW" (actually in Highland Plantation on the Long Falls Dam Road) splashed with 3.42" - got nailed by the mid-aft cells then again when the line came thru a couple hr later.  Reports of very strong winds at Bigelow Lodge with many blowdowns, and a co-worker has gone up to check.

Had a "New Sharon heatwave" Fri-Sun.  At my location and instrument placement, 85 is hot, and those three days brought 86/89/87.

If you hear anything more about Bigelow pass it along. As usual our verification on the northern end of the warnings is rather sparse.

Lots of falling temperatures this morning... BTV and MVL are both colder than they were at 12z and I see MPV just cooled off a degree from the previous hour so the CAA continues working SE.

Mansfield summit continues to cool off at 4,000ft and I guess as it continues to get colder up at that level we probably won't be rising much down here in the valley.

BTV has dews in the upper 40s and continuing to fall.  Upstate NY looks really nice with widespread dews in the 40s.

Lots of falling temperatures this morning... BTV and MVL are both colder than they were at 12z and I see MPV just cooled off a degree from the previous hour so the CAA continues working SE.

Mansfield summit continues to cool off at 4,000ft and I guess as it continues to get colder up at that level we probably won't be rising much down here in the valley.

BTV has dews in the upper 40s and continuing to fall.  Upstate NY looks really nice with widespread dews in the 40s.

Bring the dews this way. My apartment feels like a steam bath and the building hasn't turned the AC on yet.

Bring the dews this way. My apartment feels like a steam bath and the building hasn't turned the AC on yet.

It feels much nicer than when I woke up and the NW wind is picking up... getting some nice little gusts from time to time putting the trees in motion and mixing the stagnant ground level air.  Really feels like that swamp airmass is getting flushed out quickly. 

I've got all three sliding doors open with some nice airflow through my place.  Feels great and the next few days look like winners.  No more sweating inside.

Today is more like it! :) I love it.

This is what I think of as a quintessintial VT summer day. 

As I mentioned in another post, you were just south of some impressive (at least by our standards) storm action in your mini chase.  Some big trees down in Marshfield.  The pictures are on the front page of the Times Argus but not in the online version.

Agree completely. My house finally got down to 75F. I need to get a new ac unit.

My problem is that all the windows in my house are casement windows.  Great for letting cool air in, but regular window A/C units are obviously impossible. I'd need to get a couple of in room A/C units, and I'm seriously thinking about it.  My house goes on the market next spring/summer as it is way to big for me.  I'm going to get some land at elevation and have a modest house built with central A/C.

Lost power for about an hour in yesterday's squall line. Pea size hail, tremendous lightning and thunder and torrential downpours for a good hour, but a blessed drop in temperature from 86 to 67 in half an hour.  I don't know how I endured Florida for 18 years before I moved up here. Blessed be the northern New England cold fronts in summer...

Hey dudes--been busy & little posting....

Anyhow, we had that nice line of t-storms on Sunday around here too.  Rained hard, got windy but didn't personally see any hail (though I heard of some near Bradford).  Luckily nothing fell at my place but I saw lots of trees down out and about yesterday.

Dropped to a chilly 39 this morning.

Sounds like a wet stretch ahead.

Time for a summer thread?

Continuing with our large landscaping project we hydroseeded 2 acres of land today. Much of it on steep slope. $4000worth of seed! I am so nervous with the path of Andrea. If we get 2-4" of heavy rain Im screwed. A good soaking of a 1" rain over a 12 hour period is fine. So until this seed takes I will be watching the weather carefully. At this point tropical systems or heavy thunderstorms are not my friend. From my webcam you can see the slope and the edge of the seeding, the vast majority is to the left, off the picture.

post-268-0-26706700-1370480321_thumb.jpg

I went for a run up Killington this evening.  As I came down I came across a guy skiing a 20 yard patch at the bottom of Superstar and there were two guys starting a hike with snowboards on their back- presumably heading for the larger patch higher up the trail.

Continuing with our large landscaping project we hydroseeded 2 acres of land today. Much of it on steep slope. $4000worth of seed! I am so nervous with the path of Andrea. If we get 2-4" of heavy rain Im screwed. A good soaking of a 1" rain over a 12 hour period is fine. So until this seed takes I will be watching the weather carefully. At this point tropical systems or heavy thunderstorms are not my friend. From my webcam you can see the slope and the edge of the seeding, the vast majority is to the left, off the picture.

you will end up with some channels of washed out loam/seed. just carefully rake it back level and add some seed to it, should be fine. same thing happened to me a couple years ago

Good luck. I'm sure you'll end up with a nicer lawn than ours. Our builder "seeded" our lawn with some lousy seed and a bit of hay. All we have to show for it is some blades of grass and some weeds. :cry:

Was sort of pleasantly surprised to get the golf league in tonight without getting rained on at all. Not surprised at all to have three 3-putts :(.

WILL the ball into the cup. Learning to limit my 2nd putt to under 6 feet has saved me about 6 strokes a round. 

Now, if i could keep my drive straight, and my never skull an approach shot, we'd be onto something. 

Then again, if I figure that out, I'll prob. forget how to putt. 

Umm, it's gross out. Awesome. 

Anybody who enjoys "spring" in VT is full of crap. What they like is early summer weather and really early fall weather. Spring is rainy, muddy, 50s. YOu like that, you are a moose. 

Worried about flooding. Everything is "up" around BTV. A steady 1-2" of rain with a pocket or two of heavier stuff is not going to be good. 

WILL the ball into the cup. Learning to limit my 2nd putt to under 6 feet has saved me about 6 strokes a round. 

Now, if i could keep my drive straight, and my never skull an approach shot, we'd be onto something. 

Anybody who enjoys "spring" in VT is full of crap. What they like is early summer weather and really early fall weather. Spring is rainy, muddy, 50s. YOu like that, you are a moose. 

Worried about flooding. Everything is "up" around BTV. A steady 1-2" of rain with a pocket or two of heavier stuff is not going to be good. 

Unfortunately, all 3 of the putts were within 6 feet.  Lipped out on two and just skidded by on the other.

Good rules to live by.  My biggest issue is skulling that like 50-90 yard wedge/lob shot.  The driver has been good, putting could be better, but the number of times I've got like 75 yards and end up skulling a wedge 125 yards into the woods behind the hole...yikes.

And you are right...what I like is fall weather in the spring ;)

Archived