Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With such limited instability and light flow, precip has been pretty tied to the terrain, as is common with situations like this.

That does make sense and seeing the rainfall reports around like those terrian events in winter.

It poured in Hanover yesterday for a while.  Didn't do much up at my place, unfortunately.

We should pick up a fair bit tonight/tomorrow though....

Headed to Mass this evening, but do look forward to seeing some water in the bucket when we get home.  Only bad part is looks like I will be sitting outside for 3-4 hour graduation.  

After yesterday's crappy day featuring 150' visibility among other unfriendly weather elements, I did a do-over to Mount Chocorua. I arrived at 5:45 to a fogged mountain but many areas had ceilings rising so I was hopeful. Nearing the summit I broke out of the fog and had a nice powderfreak-approved undercast to enjoy. Even a bit of sun poked out, highlighting neighboring peaks. Temperature was in the low 50s and still not many biting insects.

post-254-0-02398300-1368381482_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-68288900-1368381506_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-02132000-1368381551_thumb.jpg

I don't understand the frost/freeze warning program.  Nothing issued for C/NNE for tonight but definately many below 32F temperatures are going to occur.  In reading the discussions they say "the program has not started".   I understand farmers have not planted yet, etc. etc.  but i was at several big box stores yesterday,  Home Depot, Walmarts etc. adn they all had their tender annuals out and were selling them.  Clearly many home owners jump the gun and plant early.  What would it hurt to issue these kind of warnings a couple of weeks early or later for the home owner who is not a farmer and just starts planting when the stores get in their stock??

I don't understand the frost/freeze warning program. Nothing issued for C/NNE for tonight but definately many below 32F temperatures are going to occur. In reading the discussions they say "the program has not started". I understand farmers have not planted yet, etc. etc. but i was at several big box stores yesterday, Home Depot, Walmarts etc. adn they all had their tender annuals out and were selling them. Clearly many home owners jump the gun and plant early. What would it hurt to issue these kind of warnings a couple of weeks early or later for the home owner who is not a farmer and just starts planting when the stores get in their stock??

It's not the NWS's problem to issue products because of negligence from certain stores imo. Not sure what the new norm last 32F is for CON, but I know it isn't for about a week. Maybe up on the hill for you it is close, but most valley locations go until 2/3 into May or later. Maybe they issue a SWS or something.

It's not the NWS's problem to issue products because of negligence from certain stores imo. Not sure what the new norm last 32F is for CON, but I know it isn't for about a week. Maybe up on the hill for you it is close, but most valley locations go until 2/3 into May or later. Maybe they issue a SWS or something.

Per the BTV records the historical last freeze outside of the CPV is the end of the 3rd week in May, while the valley is the first week of May.

480213_474383635966876_81735043_n.jpg

GYX discussion notes possibility of a frost warning tonight for coastal and near-coastal locations. Places farther inland are still well short of median last frost, so no mention - anyone at IZG or BML who puts out their tomatoes in mid May deserves the probable outcome. I don't know what triggers an area "entering" the frost/freeze notice program, whether it's median or perhaps the early 25% line (75% of years have a later frost.)

Surprising (neither forecast nor 7 AM radar had any rain that dense) though brief downpour yesterday morning about 8:30, probably half of the day's 0.70" fell in 10 minutes. Month precip now up to 1.68", about the norm for 1st 12 days, though we're still around 5" below avg since Jan. 1. Yesterday's moisture - even had a sprinkle after 9 PM - led to a thick frost this morning even with temp only down to 30-31. Forecasts have pointed to frosts tomorrow and Wed mornings at my place, but today's was a bit of a surprise; CAA came early and without much wind.

I notice some snow falling at the higher elevations. I can see it in the distance. If only I could reach the elevations where it is coming down. I think it is a little above the Bolton lots.

I’ve been watching the snowfall from UVM in Burlington this afternoon.  I’m traveling toward the mountains right now on I-89, and I can see that the snow line is getting quite low in elevation at times – looks like down to around 1,000’ in some spots, but it’s hard to tell exactly where the line is between snow, mix, or rain.  Temperature at the Bolton Valley Weather Station at 2,100’ is 39.7 F with a dew point of 28.9 F, so I wouldn’t think one would need to go too much higher to see some flakes.

Archived