Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eek and wxeye each have some nice stardot cams. I'm hoping to have mine up by weekend, but I can trial some day pics out the window later when I get home. The problem is that I want to aim it toward the SW direction which can be a pain in the late afternoon.

I just gave in and took apart the zoom lens to clean mine since the image was pretty awful.  Now, it's way better but has a few black smudges and an odd slightly brighter spot in the middle of the image.  No clue why, the glass looks absolutely spotless.  Also can't get it to focus nice and sharp.  The zoom lens is crazy powerful but a huge pain in the ass if you touch it.

I just gave in and took apart the zoom lens to clean mine since the image was pretty awful.  Now, it's way better but has a few black smudges and an odd slightly brighter spot in the middle of the image.  No clue why, the glass looks absolutely spotless.  Also can't get it to focus nice and sharp.  The zoom lens is crazy powerful but a huge pain in the ass if you touch it.

Scott my view is to the SW and I have had my cam for about 3 years and the sun comes right into the lens in the winter.  No sun burning issues on the lens so far.  I have my camera in the rugged outdoor mount enclosure.  I need to clean my glass on the enclosure, going to do it right now while Im thinking about it!

Yeah...I knew there was one in early 2010, but I couldn't remember the month. That's the one that downsloped me to hell.

That was BTV's largest snowstorm on record since 1881, lol.

Over 33" in that retrograde with 36" falling Jan 1-3. Easily the most bizzare event on record too...with like 9" on Mansfield and under 12" across the Spine of the Green Mountains during that same 3 day period. Amazing what a really low inversion level will do to block moisture like 20 miles upstream of the mountains.

Made it to 33.1 at mi casa. What did Black Cat fall to on the island?

Having a home station for the better part of 15 years now, I've noticed we get a lot of mini temp drop spikes around morning with radiational cooling. I've always wondered what causes that. I figure it must have to do with the sun beginning to rise from the horizon creating some kind of extra stabilizing influence before the rays start reaching the ground. Maybe the tree tops warm first allowing for a briefly stronger near sfc inversion? I have no other theories.

I see this as well quite often at the ski resort base station on radiational cooling mornings. I'll leave home to 5F in the village at 750ft while its 18F with a breeze at 1500ft at 430am. Then there is often a brief period around first light when winds go calm and a quick dip in temps occurrs. It often skews our min records for snowmaking stats, as most of a night will be spent above the valley inversion with say temps near 20F (for example)...but the recorded min is like a brief 11F or something.

73/17 12%...desert like out there. Sanbornton RWIS is down to 9%...Ashland RWIS 10%.

Looks like the max/min will be 73.9/33.1 unless we get one more jump.

12z MAV has 80/37 for CON tomorrow.

Just posted this in the other thread but...

Montpelier (MPV) ASOS is 76/12 for 8% RH.

One of the lowest official RH readings I can remember at a climate site in a while.

Just posted this in the other thread but...

Montpelier (MPV) ASOS is 76/12 for 8% RH.

One of the lowest official RH readings I can remember at a climate site in a while.

I was 72/14 11% last hour. Still sitting at a bone dry 16% right now.

FVE appears to have peaked at 82, CAR/PQI 79, BML/HIE 78. Hooray for the north country!

3 PM temps include IZG at 75 and ROK 48.

Was mostly cloudy and 50F when I left work in Portland at 4:30. At that time, my girl in Fryeburg said it was 76F and sunny. Not sure which one I prefer though. I'm sure MainePhotog on the mid-coast was digging it, though.

That was BTV's largest snowstorm on record since 1881, lol.

Over 33" in that retrograde with 36" falling Jan 1-3. Easily the most bizzare event on record too...with like 9" on Mansfield and under 12" across the Spine of the Green Mountains during that same 3 day period. Amazing what a really low inversion level will do to block moisture like 20 miles upstream of the mountains.

I experienced both sides of that storm on 1/3/10 as I was a student at Middlebury College but was just returning and spent the night of the storm in a cabin on the East Slope of the Green Mountains. My friend skierinvermont had rented this place with his family, and we received about an inch of snow overnight, not thinking the storm was a big deal. We saw some heavier echoes on Weather Channel radar, our only source of weather information, but I still didn't doubt the drive back. Once I crossed the pass on I-89, snowfall amounts had increased rapidly and drivIng was bad...fortunately the snow was fluffy. As I hit Route 7 in south Burlington, snow had reached the tops of mailboxes, transforming the town in a Currier&Ives scene. After two hours of driving, I finally reached Middlebury to moderate snow still falling. We received 24" and BTV had like 35" while the Green Mountains, including the cabin where I stayed, had almost nothing...1-3".

Strangest storm I ever saw besides the 2/25 Snowicane when it rained in Middlebury and my hometown of Dobbs Ferry had 26". The retrograde bomb in early January did seem to block up the flow and introduce a lot of milder air, unfortunately. Vermont had a bland second half of winter in 09-10 whereas Dobbs accumulated 68" on the season, almost double the average. Strange storm in a very bizarre pattern driven by the mega -NAO.

Yeah Zucker...I was at my girlfriend's in Burlington and remember it was snowing when we went to bed but seeing as it was what appeared to be an upslope event, I wasn't expecting more than a couple inches in BTV overnight. I figured the snow band would migrate more towards the Spine and west slope like usual. It didn't. I still remember waking up, looking outside and seeing like 1-2"/hr snowfall with snow up to the windows on my car...one of those rub your eyes and be like WTF happened last night.

I drove home to Jonesville on the west slope around midday expecting to find a lot of snow. Your first instinct in that situation is if BTV got 2.5 feet, well then out by the spine must have gotten like 4 feet lol. Once past Williston though the snow started decreasing and I found like 15" in Jonesville. Still a big storm, but the visual difference between just over a foot and like 30" is pretty stark.

Yeah Zucker...I was at my girlfriend's in Burlington and remember it was snowing when we went to bed but seeing as it was what appeared to be an upslope event, I wasn't expecting more than a couple inches in BTV overnight. I figured the snow band would migrate more towards the Spine and west slope like usual. It didn't. I still remember waking up, looking outside and seeing like 1-2"/hr snowfall with snow up to the windows on my car...one of those rub your eyes and be like WTF happened last night.

I drove home to Jonesville on the west slope around midday expecting to find a lot of snow. Your first instinct in that situation is if BTV got 2.5 feet, well then out by the spine must have gotten like 4 feet lol. Once past Williston though the snow started decreasing and I found like 15" in Jonesville. Still a big storm, but the visual difference between just over a foot and like 30" is pretty stark.

figure1.png

Fog made it farther west than I'd thought, so temp at my place was low 40s at 5 AM with 1/2 mile vis - end of the frosty morning streak.  Currently full sun in AUG, and I'm sure the same at home, so the 10F milder launching point may enable a run at 80 for the foothills.

I still have never seen 30" fall in a single event. My personal records are:

25" - Blizzard of '96 on Long Island

22" - PD II on Long Island

21" - Carolina Crusher in Southern Pines, NC (All time record there - Jan 25th, 2000)

Was mostly cloudy and 50F when I left work in Portland at 4:30. At that time, my girl in Fryeburg said it was 76F and sunny. Not sure which one I prefer though. I'm sure MainePhotog on the mid-coast was digging it, though.

I did enjoy being ensconced in the fog and temps in the upper 40's. Makes for some very dramatic landscape photography.

Does any of the VT crew remember what a cloud looks like?  Even our dry stretches around here usually feature clouds from time to time.  This has been quite a stretch of beautiful weather.

LOL I am starting to forget. Unfortunately the dry stretch is bringing those pollen numbers up. I am looking forward to a little rain.

Does any of the VT crew remember what a cloud looks like? Even our dry stretches around here usually feature clouds from time to time. This has been quite a stretch of beautiful weather.

I've been checking the Mansfield web cam views every day since leaving and it is very odd to go day after day without any terrain induced clouds. Mansfield never goes day after day with clear skies over the ridgeline. Atmosphere must be incredibly dry.

I still have never seen 30" fall in a single event. My personal records are:

25" - Blizzard of '96 on Long Island

22" - PD II on Long Island

21" - Carolina Crusher in Southern Pines, NC (All time record there - Jan 25th, 2000)

I suspect most of the folks on amwx would say the same, though the number of 30+ witnesses got a boost last Feb.

Largest I've seen:

26.5" - March 14-15, 1984 in Ft. Kent.  This brought snowpack up to 65", tallest ever at my snowstake.

24.5" - Feb 22-23, 2009.  Finished with about 50" at the stake, 49" at my 9 PM obs time, most in my 15 yr at current home.

24.0" - Five times, only the oldest and most recent having reasonably precise measurement.  Working backwards:

--Dec. 6-7, 2003 in New Sharon

--Dec. 26-27, 1976 in Ft. Kent.  Measured/estimated by neighbors, as we were in NNJ visiting family.

--Feb. 3-4, 1961 in NNJ.  This may be an underestimate, based on records for some surrounding stations.  It brought NNJ snow depths to over 40", with two stations 50-52", tops for the area by far.

--March 21-22, 1958.  Extended period of near-32 paste.

--March 18-19, 1956.  Dad measured 23.5" of low-20s powder in our front yard with moderate snow still falling.

After this comes 3 in the 20-21" range:  21" on 2/11-12/2005 in New Sharon (with thunder); 20.9" on 3/17-19/81 in Ft. Kent; 20" on 1/19-20/61 in NNJ (or why the 24" that came 15 well-below-freezing days later brought such huge snowpack.)

I've been checking the Mansfield web cam views every day since leaving and it is very odd to go day after day without any terrain induced clouds. Mansfield never goes day after day with clear skies over the ridgeline. Atmosphere must be incredibly dry.

It looks like there is a small wildfire just to my east right before you get to the mountains. I can see the smoke. It would be just southwest of Mansfield by a few miles.

Archived