• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

Another solid frost this morning, after yesterday's 68.  If today reaches the forecast 70, my 10-day avg for 4/26-5/5 would be 68/28, about 1F above my avg for that span.  Spring is the time for 40F diurnal ranges, so a few such days are NBD.  However, ten in a row with diurnals 35 to 46 is a first in my records, as is 10 straight 32-or-below this late in the season.

Abundant blackflies yest aft, still just checking out the menu but that will change later this week.

Surprised the black flies haven't been that bad.....yet

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Birthday Brian (belated ).  I took advantage of the Stardot sale to order a new 100 foot cable.  Are you eventually going to be online with your cam?   

Yeah...soon. Ironically the reason mine isn't up is I need a 100ft cable. :lol:

Eek suggested a TRENdnet wireless gaming adapter instead. He uses it for his. I may go that route since it's less expensive.

Yes indeed I will! I am looking forward to it!

You could tell after the holiday snows that you would fit in well here... you got a taste of the synoptic snows but also the harder to forecast meso-scale snows. You've seen a big upslope event two seasons ago, then the surprise 8" in Williston after the synoptic storm last December.

As a met, those events are what will hook you. Not many other local areas in the northeast where you can get the surprise snows like this area...even in BTV with the right inversion level. Also regardless of snowfall amounts or snow depth, this area seems to have flakes in the air a lot more than other populated areas of the northeast. It may be light and fluffy and not add up to much, but it seems like there's a 70% chance of seeing flakes on any given day during the heart of the winter. On the flip side, west of the Greens may be the worst place for snow preservation in New England haha.

Just looked at current observations...very classic spread in temps:

BTV is 60/30 at first light with a funneling south wind up the valley.

MPV and MVL are 40F and 41F respectively with calm winds east of the Greens. VSF is 35F and SLK is 32F.

Must be a pain for BTV WFO to forecast these 20-30F spreads in overnight low temperatures. There's a big difference between near 60 degrees and waking up to 30s to near 40.

You could tell after the holiday snows that you would fit in well here... you got a taste of the synoptic snows but also the harder to forecast meso-scale snows. You've seen a big upslope event two seasons ago, then the surprise 8" in Williston after the synoptic storm last December.

As a met, those events are what will hook you. Not many other local areas in the northeast where you can get the surprise snows like this area...even in BTV with the right inversion level. Also regardless of snowfall amounts or snow depth, this area seems to have flakes in the air a lot more than other populated areas of the northeast. It may be light and fluffy and not add up to much, but it seems like there's a 70% chance of seeing flakes on any given day during the heart of the winter. On the flip side, west of the Greens may be the worst place for snow preservation in New England haha.

Well said and even if it isn't working out on an event IMBY the Greens are only minutes away. The events you mentioned definitely helped rope me in.

38.3 for the low here in the central NH NNE tropics.

Made it to 33.1 at mi casa. What did Black Cat fall to on the island?

Having a home station for the better part of 15 years now, I've noticed we get a lot of mini temp drop spikes around morning with radiational cooling. I've always wondered what causes that. I figure it must have to do with the sun beginning to rise from the horizon creating some kind of extra stabilizing influence before the rays start reaching the ground. Maybe the tree tops warm first allowing for a briefly stronger near sfc inversion? I have no other theories.

Run of frosty mornings reached #11 today with 31 (and the streak probably ends tomorrow.) Yesterday's cloud-free 71/30 continues the pattern of +/-40F duirnal swings, today should be 40+ and probably tomorrow as well, though 75/35 seems more likely for tomorrow. Late week precip looking like wet-the-ground intensity rather than really useful RA.

Having a home station for the better part of 15 years now, I've noticed we get a lot of mini temp drop spikes around morning with radiational cooling. I've always wondered what causes that. I figure it must have to do with the sun beginning to rise from the horizon creating some kind of extra stabilizing influence before the rays start reaching the ground. Maybe the tree tops warm first allowing for a briefly stronger near sfc inversion? I have no other theories.

Black Cat got to 41.1

I notice the sunrise temp plummet quite a bit in the winter.  Usually, I'll keep a pesky wind all night but as soon as the sun cracks the horizon, it'll relent for an hour or two.

I've also posted before about the same thing happening at sunset in winter... wind will stop for a few hours after sunset, but will then nearly always resume between 8-9pm.

Well, I've been pretty busy lately wrapping up all my winter/early spring fruit tree pruning gigs that I do on the side every year.  I always save this one particular job for last since it's way up at a little over 2100':  I have to wait for the snow to melt and the mud to dry out to get up there and being so high, the trees are nearly as far along as they are at lower elevations, thus giving me a few more weeks.

Anyway, it's a great place to work--views for miles.  The trails at Killington still looking nice and white as of this past Friday:

8713463759_e5f39317f4_z.jpg

And, it's that other foliage season around the hood:

8714586064_e6b8e79bd3_z.jpg

Well, I've been pretty busy lately wrapping up all my winter/early spring fruit tree pruning gigs that I do on the side every year.  I always save this one particular job for last since it's way up at a little over 2100':  I have to wait for the snow to melt and the mud to dry out to get up there and being so high, the trees are nearly as far along as they are at lower elevations, thus giving me a few more weeks.

Anyway, it's a great place to work--views for miles.  The trails at Killington still looking nice and white as of this past Friday:

8713463759_e5f39317f4_z.jpg

And, it's that other foliage season around the hood:

8714586064_e6b8e79bd3_z.jpg

Vershire?

GYX listing of temps for 11 AM shows the warmest places in New England, at 71, are BML (fairly uncommon as top dog) and FVE (that's one I thought I'd never see as warmest.)

I like those retrograding lows that advect warm air from the NE. FVE/CAR change to rain while the rest of New England is snowing. I think Mar 99 had a classic case of one of these.

I like those retrograding lows that advect warm air from the NE. FVE/CAR change to rain while the rest of New England is snowing. I think Mar 99 had a classic case of one of these.

1/2-3/10 I'm pretty sure CAR changed to rain while it was like 10F here and snowing. Then we rose into the upper 20s.

When can we see some stardot cam pics? I'd ilke to see the quality. The ongoing sale is tempting.

Eek and wxeye each have some nice stardot cams. I'm hoping to have mine up by weekend, but I can trial some day pics out the window later when I get home. The problem is that I want to aim it toward the SW direction which can be a pain in the late afternoon.

1/2-3/10 I'm pretty sure CAR changed to rain while it was like 10F here and snowing. Then we rose into the upper 20s.

Yeah...I knew there was one in early 2010, but I couldn't remember the month. That's the one that downsloped me to hell.

Yeah...I knew there was one in early 2010, but I couldn't remember the month. That's the one that downsloped me to hell.

Pretty sure they changed to rain in the 12/6/81 storm too. There aren't many that give us snow while they rain. Prob about once or (maybe) twice a decade.

This explains it pretty well and also hints at Eeks wind question. http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/wea00/wea00042.htm

Correct on all three, though I just peaked at some numbers to check the details.

--12/6-7/81: Mostly rain for N.Maine, though they made up for it: I recorded 46" for Dec at my Ft.Kent home and 186" for the season. The RA was mainly limited to the north, as Farmington recorded 8" snow and 0.83" LE and stayed subfreezing on the 7th.

--3/99: The northeast storm that pounded southern/central Maine on 3/6-7 just grazed the far north - CAR had 8.7", Allagash zippo. Then came the slow southwestward progress of the mild maritime air, preceded by a few inches of snow. CAR had the snow early on 3/10 then warmed up going into the 11th, with -RA. Western Maine had the snow during 3/10 and into the evening, with 40s on the 11th. CON had upper 20s and snow on the 11th while Farmington and CAR were well above freezing.

--2010: You had to remind me of the retro that ate winter! :( CAR for JFMA combined was nearly 9F above climo, and 3.9F milder than in any other year in their 75 yr records. The margin between mildest and #2 is equivalent to the margin between #2 and #25; don't know how many standard deviations that would be. That season is 90% of why Maine's 5-season DJF warmth stands out so much on the map Will posted over to the climate change forum. ("SNE mockers" thread)

Archived