Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, it sure is dry here..hope we get some rain soon....

Looks like we are going to have to await a weakening upper low (transitioning to an open wave) around the 9th or 10th and see what it can do. Otherwise it looks more promising right now around the 12th (assuming a couple of jet streaks line up favorably overhead) as the polar and subtropical jets merge over New England with first somewhat of a Pacific moisture feed followed by one from the Gulf up the Eastern Seaboard. The GFS is showing a surface reflection in the region as well. (Of course I don't have full access to the Euro for a solid comparison).

Man, it sure is dry here..hope we get some rain soon....

Ah, yeah.  We sure the hell could. 

As eyewall mentioned, we look pretty dry until the second half of this coming week.  Fingers crossed for a couple soakers.

eyewall--welcome to NNE fulltime!

We've had some pretty amazing weather in NNE for a while now and happily it continued today. With the forecast calling for sunny skies, temps around 50F and light winds at 4500' I decided it was time for a tour of the southern Presidential summits of Pierce, Eisenhower and Franklin. Boots were on trail at 6:15 with a temp of 39F (car reading - I left the Kestrel at home). No snow to be found, but monorail remnants showed up soon after I started. At around 3000' the snowpack began in earnest and I had to put on the microspikes. Nearing the summit of Pierce but below treeline the snow depth was roughly 4'. Once above treeline, however, the snowpack was gone aside from sheltered areas in the col between Pierce and Eisenhower (though still a couple feet deep in places). Off with the spikes! An absolutely gorgeous day at 4000'+ feet. Little wind, wall-to-wall sun and a temp probably nearing 50F. I summited Eisenhower then went to Franklin and was bummed that I had to return due to a prior engagement. I'd have liked to continue on to Monroe and the Lakes of the Clouds hut, but that will have to wait for another time. Descending on Edmands Path on the north face of Eisenhower was brutal. Snow depth had to be 5 or 6 feet of soft snow and it's sloped sideways quite a bit. Lots of tree-holding for the first half-mile down. Not sure of the trip mileage but it was six hours in length and it felt so good to spend substantial time above treeline in the Presidentials.

First pic is approaching Pierce's summit and shows the deep deep snow, second is looking just off Eisenhower's summit towards Washington and the third is from Franklin looking south down the Dry River valley.

post-254-0-47670300-1367696226_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-38523100-1367696251_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-86866900-1367696273_thumb.jpg

We've had some pretty amazing weather in NNE for a while now and happily it continued today. With the forecast calling for sunny skies, temps around 50F and light winds at 4500' I decided it was time for a tour of the southern Presidential summits of Pierce, Eisenhower and Franklin. Boots were on trail at 6:15 with a temp of 39F (car reading - I left the Kestrel at home). No snow to be found, but monorail remnants showed up soon after I started. At around 3000' the snowpack began in earnest and I had to put on the microspikes. Nearing the summit of Pierce but below treeline the snow depth was roughly 4'. Once above treeline, however, the snowpack was gone aside from sheltered areas in the col between Pierce and Eisenhower (though still a couple feet deep in places). Off with the spikes! An absolutely gorgeous day at 4000'+ feet. Little wind, wall-to-wall sun and a temp probably nearing 50F. I summited Eisenhower then went to Franklin and was bummed that I had to return due to a prior engagement. I'd have liked to continue on to Monroe and the Lakes of the Clouds hut, but that will have to wait for another time. Descending on Edmands Path on the north face of Eisenhower was brutal. Snow depth had to be 5 or 6 feet of soft snow and it's sloped sideways quite a bit. Lots of tree-holding for the first half-mile down. Not sure of the trip mileage but it was six hours in length and it felt so good to spend substantial time above treeline in the Presidentials.

First pic is approaching Pierce's summit and shows the deep deep snow, second is looking just off Eisenhower's summit towards Washington and the third is from Franklin looking south down the Dry River valley.

attachicon.gif2013-05-04 07.42.42-1.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-05-04 08.45.53-1.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-05-04 09.54.53-1.jpg

looks great, but you really need to start dating people who hike, so you don't have to cut your day short!

Another solid frost this morning, after yesterday's 68.  If today reaches the forecast 70, my 10-day avg for 4/26-5/5 would be 68/28, about 1F above my avg for that span.  Spring is the time for 40F diurnal ranges, so a few such days are NBD.  However, ten in a row with diurnals 35 to 46 is a first in my records, as is 10 straight 32-or-below this late in the season.

Abundant blackflies yest aft, still just checking out the menu but that will change later this week.

Archived