Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was a beauty of a day up this way until around 1-2pm when the cloud deck moved in... great morning to be up on the mountain playing in the snow.

For the first time since mid-November, we can now see pavement on RT 108 at the closure gate at 1,550ft.  Snowpack remains patchy around that 1,500ft elevation, though I hear there's 18" of snow on the road up at 2,200ft.

IMG_6195_edited-2.jpg

Snowpack on Mansfield eastern slope right now has a very steep gradient by elevation....

Near 4,000ft...60" (COOP stake)

3,000ft...40" (my stake)

2,500ft...24"

1,500ft...T (patchy cover, lots of bare areas, but still sheltered areas of up to 1 foot in depth, too)

Here's the 3,000ft stake with 40" on the ground.  What I find interesting is the stake has slowly been getting pushed downhill...its leaning more and more and I wonder if its a slight downhill creep of the snowpack as it melts.

IMG_6191_edited-1.jpg

It is slowly melting though, as the woods are starting to see water holes develop in the snowpack where the creeks are.

IMG_6192_edited-1.jpg

Got a pretty good sunburn up here today wandering around in a t-shirt.  There's still a lot of snow to melt on this mountain.

IMG_6207_edited-2.jpg

This is right at 3,000ft on the trail near the snowstake... I wanted a lawn chair to just sit out in the sun up here in the flats of this elevated basin.

IMG_6206_edited-1.jpg

What a day...at 61F now under full sun at home in the village. Wasn't expecting this much sun but those clouds in NY are taking their sweet time. We may get through most of the day with full sunshine. Actually looks like the clouds in NY are eroding...definitely getting a mostly sunny afternoon.

Getting harder to find snow patches in the woods and today I saw the first forsythia bush opening.   First yellow forsythia and then everything happens rapidly.

Here are 2 webcam shots, one from April 24 2012 and one from today.  Quite a difference!

By the way we did a big house project this year and had to lift the house and dug a new foundation as the old one was crumbling.  We moved the house 25 feet west, that is why the pond is closer.

post-268-0-76996800-1366822761_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-33579000-1366822781_thumb.jpg

I hate it when my temp whining lingers as the last reply for over 24 hours.

59.8 for a high... a five sun day indeed.  :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun:

59.0 here, but it was at 5z. We got near 59F again the afternoon.

I have an enclosure and IR illuminator on the way...it should get here early next week. I hope I can remember how to run my StarDot.

Still some solid natural snow left on Mansfield at relatively low elevations... you start hitting more consistent snow around 1,800ft with solid snow cover at 2,000ft that quickly ramps up to a couple feet by 2,500ft.

This east slope of the mountain preserves snow like none-other, as I doubt you'll find these snow depths at similar 2,000-2,500ft mid-elevations elsewhere in Vermont. 

Watching the water cycle at work...snowmelt traveling back to the waterways. 

This is at maybe 2,200-2,300ft, about the elevation of Coles Pond in Walden.

This is up just a little bit higher near 2,500-2,600ft...

I was still able to ski down through the woods back to about 2,200ft before it became too "punchy" and unsupportive to ski.  This is all down in the hardwood forests though at mid-elevations where the snow is hanging tough...still 4+ feet though up in the spruce/fir forest at 3,000ft and higher.

Every spring it just surprises me how long it takes the east slope to melt, when all other mountains you can see in the area look bare up to above 3,000ft. 

this is the time of year i dread...ski resorts closing and the snow melt going strong, but you can't (well you shouldn't) go out hiking just yet...just cause hiking on muddy trails ruins them and degrades the natural environment...some people don't care, but those might be the same ones who leave their granola bar wrappers and plastic water bottles on the ground instead of packing them out...

Archived