• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

I spoke wayyyy too soon... NWS FTW, me FTL haha.

We went from 43F at 1pm to now 59F at 6pm.  It was like a switch was flipped on the mountain... it was cold, raw, but calm.  Then the wind picked up and its actually blowing pretty good right how down in town (well gusting over 30mph at least, haha), but you could feel the warmth advecting in this afternoon.

The summit was holding at 35-36F most of the day and then in the past 2 hours has jumped to 45F and climbing.  That H85 WAA is cranking and I doubt the summit falls at all tonight.  Will probably be mid-upper 40s in the morning with continued WAA. 

Tomorrow looks interesting with forecasts call for 40-50mph gusts possible in the valleys with 60mph+ at the summits.  Strong WAA will be necessary to bring us from the 30s at midday today, to mid 70s tomorrow... and it looks like that wind will accomplish that.

Mountain is ripe for snowmelt, so it should be interesting to see what happens as far as loss of snow in this little warm up.  Given that almost 50% of the snowpack is liquid, that's about as ripe as it gets before it just starts to release quickly.  Tamarack mentioned flash melting, and I wonder if a 65-75F day tomorrow will do quite a number on the snow.  Should see the snow line continue to move up.  Its at about 1,300ft right now when you start hitting more consistent snow cover, but I wonder if that jumps to like 1800ft by the time the cold gets here Saturday afternoon/night.  With 6.5" of liquid in the 15" of snow at 1,550ft, if that elevation releases over the next 24-36 hours, the river here in town should come up sharply.  That'd be like a localized 6" rainstorm at the headwaters.

Here's the temps as the front was passing this afternoon:

552860_465317043540202_125226499_n.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got 53F at home at 5am! It feels great and I just fully turned the corner. Feels like a mid-summer morning out there. Birds chirping, warm air, not having to run my car for 10 minutes before driving to work.

3 days left in the operating season at Stowe so it's a perfect time to turn the corner...

:wub:

...STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL IMPACT SULLIVAN COUNTY...BELKNAP
COUNTY...MERRIMACK COUNTY...COOS COUNTY AND GRAFTON COUNTY THROUGH
1115 PM EDT...

AT 1023 PM EDT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
LINE OF STRONG THUNDERSTORMS CENTERED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 21
MILES WEST OF HANOVER TO 17 MILES WEST OF PLAINFIELD TO 30 MILES
SOUTHWEST OF LANGDON...OR ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 22 MILES
NORTHWEST OF WHITE RIVER JUNCTION TO 15 MILES NORTHWEST OF
SPRINGFIELD TO 26 MILES SOUTHWEST OF BELLOWS FALLS...MOVING EAST AT
60 MPH. THESE STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL AFFECT AREAS IN AND AROUND
PLAINFIELD...HANOVER...CORNISH...CLAREMONT...CHARLESTOWN...WEST
UNITY...MERIDEN...CORNISH FLAT...LEBANON AND LANGDON THROUGH 1115 PM
EDT.

:wub:

...STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL IMPACT SULLIVAN COUNTY...BELKNAP

COUNTY...MERRIMACK COUNTY...COOS COUNTY AND GRAFTON COUNTY THROUGH

1115 PM EDT...

AT 1023 PM EDT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF STRONG THUNDERSTORMS CENTERED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 21

MILES WEST OF HANOVER TO 17 MILES WEST OF PLAINFIELD TO 30 MILES

SOUTHWEST OF LANGDON...OR ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 22 MILES

NORTHWEST OF WHITE RIVER JUNCTION TO 15 MILES NORTHWEST OF

SPRINGFIELD TO 26 MILES SOUTHWEST OF BELLOWS FALLS...MOVING EAST AT

60 MPH. THESE STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL AFFECT AREAS IN AND AROUND

PLAINFIELD...HANOVER...CORNISH...CLAREMONT...CHARLESTOWN...WEST

UNITY...MERIDEN...CORNISH FLAT...LEBANON AND LANGDON THROUGH 1115 PM

EDT.

I'm drawing the polygon to cut around your place.

I know ALY was getting some trees and wires down, but this is really 35-45 knot stuff. I can't justify pulling the trigger on a SVR. If a limb or two comes down I'm going to have to eat the missed event.

Might as well kick off summer disappointment season early.  :violin:

Hopefully I score a  40mph gust.  Hearing thunder now.

Our radar is essentially blind to the wind you'll get, since it's just about traveling perpendicular to the beam. I suspect that LEB was directly impacted by a faster moving bowing element in the line (that is currently racing off towards Crawford Notch). Although I saw peak wind gusts of 48 kt as far north as Canada.

Lightning crapped out entirely around 11:35 and the wind was a bust-- only gusted to 25mph.

Saving grace was the absolutely insane rainfall rate of 6.70"/hr-- very cool.  Got .31" so far, but now the rain is really picking up again, back to 1.04"/hr

HIE stole your thunder (literally and figuratively), 51 mph gust.

Thought I heard some thunder off in the distance last night but there wasn't anything directly overhead.

Picked up a needed 0.56" with the rainfall though--that'll go along way to help the greening process.

A toasty 73F for a high yesterday too and now down to 38.

Last night was our first night without the woodstove going since last fall.  Getting ready to fire it back up again, lol.

Thought I heard some thunder off in the distance last night but there wasn't anything directly overhead.

Picked up a needed 0.56" with the rainfall though--that'll go along way to help the greening process.

A toasty 73F for a high yesterday too and now down to 38.

Last night was our first night without the woodstove going since last fall.  Getting ready to fire it back up again, lol.

24 hr since the last wood was put in, though the current low 40s with the last of the rain may warrant a re-light.  Touched 70 yest, tops for the year by 13F (though today's high will be 59, the temp at 9 last night.)   Some roof-pounding rain about 3:15 last night, had 0.43" by 7 AM.  That plus yesterday's warmth (still snow in the headwaters) should kick the Sandy up near 8,000 cfs, but that's less than halfway to flood stage.

After a three week hiatus due to various reasons, I finally made time for another sojourn into the mountains. Today I visited Whiteface Mountain, which has some fun ledges to climb and no waterways to cross which is important because the Spring melt is underway and removing boots and socks to cross a raging stream of cold mountain water is not in my plans.

There is no snow at the trailhead, though a short way on the trail some ice as a result of the packed snow on the trail (the "monorail" in hiking parlance) created footing issues, which only worsened as elevation was gained. At around 3,000' the snowpack started and quickly ramped up to 2' depths judging by the post holes of others and myself. I sank in up to my knees at one point.

The weather was pretty nice - cloudy with filtered sun and a reasonable breeze ( I think I was on the lee side of the mountain, thankfully). I measured the temp just off the summit at 40F and at the trailhead it was 53F. No jacket required for this trip! A few pics are below. #1 is the namesake of Whiteface Mountain - the sheer granite cliffs. #2 is a shot of eek-land (Lake Winnipesaukee). #3 is a boot shot as I chillaxed and #4 is from the highest ledge just below the wooded summit. Nice day and glad to get outdoors again! :)

post-254-0-37367200-1366482325_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-41505100-1366482343_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-72238100-1366482361_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-67047100-1366482384_thumb.jpg

Been getting a persistent flurry in Stowe...which is incredible to me because I'm showing 45F at home.  Must be some very dry air because it is definitely full flakes coming out of the sky, not graupel or something else.  Looks like the strong westerly flow and the Spine is trying to squeeze out what little moisture is left.  Also noticed they were talking about light snow showers falling on the Montreal radio station...so they must be seeing some flakes up there too... the DJ's were not impressed with the snow, lol.

April%2020.gif

After a three week hiatus due to various reasons, I finally made time for another sojourn into the mountains. Today I visited Whiteface Mountain, which has some fun ledges to climb and no waterways to cross which is important because the Spring melt is underway and removing boots and socks to cross a raging stream of cold mountain water is not in my plans.

There is no snow at the trailhead, though a short way on the trail some ice as a result of the packed snow on the trail (the "monorail" in hiking parlance) created footing issues, which only worsened as elevation was gained. At around 3,000' the snowpack started and quickly ramped up to 2' depths judging by the post holes of others and myself. I sank in up to my knees at one point.

The weather was pretty nice - cloudy with filtered sun and a reasonable breeze ( I think I was on the lee side of the mountain, thankfully). I measured the temp just off the summit at 40F and at the trailhead it was 53F. No jacket required for this trip! A few pics are below. #1 is the namesake of Whiteface Mountain - the sheer granite cliffs. #2 is a shot of eek-land (Lake Winnipesaukee). #3 is a boot shot as I chillaxed and #4 is from the highest ledge just below the wooded summit. Nice day and glad to get outdoors again! :)

attachicon.gif2013-04-20 11.30.28-1.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-04-20 11.30.57-1.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-04-20 11.35.13-1.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-04-20 11.42.30-1.jpg

Awesome pics! 

You had to go all the way to 3,000ft to find solid snowpack though?  That seems like a high snow line right now for mid/late April given the spring we've had.

Speaking of snowpack... the warmth on Thurs/Friday coupled with over a half inch of rain last night really did a number on the "ripe" snowpack, especially at lower elevations.

The consistent snow-line on Mansfield's east slope has lifted from like 1,300ft at the beginning of the week, up to 1,800 or so. 

On Tuesday I did the snow survey and found 15 inches of snow at 1,550ft with 6.5" of liquid.  Today, that area was patchy.  Here's a comparison:

1,550ft on April 10th (10 days ago)... at this point there was 20-24" on the ground.

1,550ft today...patchy, non-continuous anymore. Granted it is interesting to see how variable the snow melt is, as the patch at the left side of this photo is still a foot deep in the middle.

But just a few hundred feet up the hill from this elevation you hit solid snow cover at 1,800ft.

Another from around that 1,800-ish range...melting out around the base of the trees but hanging on.

A view of a neighboring draining (Ranch Brook), looks similar... that white road down there is part of the Cross Country Center's network and is around that 1,500ft elevation.  The road looks well covered but I think that's because of grooming during the winter...that packed snow will last longer than the untouched stuff in the woods around it.

Been getting a persistent flurry in Stowe...which is incredible to me because I'm showing 45F at home.  Must be some very dry air because it is definitely full flakes coming out of the sky, not graupel or something else.  Looks like the strong westerly flow and the Spine is trying to squeeze out what little moisture is left.  Also noticed they were talking about light snow showers falling on the Montreal radio station...so they must be seeing some flakes up there too... the DJ's were not impressed with the snow, lol.

April%2020.gif

Ha!I thought I was crazy when I saw those flakes this afternoon.

Today is closing day at Stowe... plenty of snow but evaporating business... but Mansfield has managed to send us off with a final celebratory 1/4-1/2" dusting at the base.  This will be the last 4am morning for me until next November, and its time for something different after 150 days.

24 hr since the last wood was put in, though the current low 40s with the last of the rain may warrant a re-light.  Touched 70 yest, tops for the year by 13F (though today's high will be 59, the temp at 9 last night.)   Some roof-pounding rain about 3:15 last night, had 0.43" by 7 AM.  That plus yesterday's warmth (still snow in the headwaters) should kick the Sandy up near 8,000 cfs, but that's less than halfway to flood stage.

River crested about 7,300, pretty modest for what will likely be the highest snowmelt-augmented flow of the spring - not looking like much precip rest of the month.  Dews dropping into the teens, could be a crispy night coming.

Archived