• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

This is off topic but some of you know me from when I was in VT for the holidays and a couple of other occasions. Well that is about to become permanent. I am relocating to Burlington at the end of this month. It has been calling me for some time now. There are some other personal reasons as well. So I look forward to the change and what is ahead.

congratulations!

jealous

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is off topic but some of you know me from when I was in VT for the holidays and a couple of other occasions. Well that is about to become permanent. I am relocating to Burlington at the end of this month. It has been calling me for some time now. There are some other personal reasons as well. So I look forward to the change and what is ahead.

I've been thinking about it for years, so I'd love to here how it works out for you.

Beautifaul sunny 50s, with (finally) little wind. Maybe yesterday's low of 17 - April's coolest at my place - was winter's last shot. (06 gfs had 2-3" snow for the wee hr Fri morning, but nobody else is trying to sell that story, yet.) This may finish off the snowpack at home, if not today then with the overnight showers. That would make my 1"+ days about 115, close to the norm though the snow depth days will finish at about 1,260, near 80% of the avg.

Congratulations and welcome to VT. If you don't mind me asking, are you staying in the Met field?

Wow, that’s so cool, congratulations!  If the snowfall trends associated with your recent visits were to stick, we could get some very snowy periods!  Do you know if you’re going to be in Burlington proper or elsewhere in the Burlington area?

Very temporarily in Williston (at my parent's place) while I find an apartment. Not quite sure where yet but Burlington or perhaps even as far as Waterbury or Middlebury.

Well snow if finally gone in the valleys of the lakes region and in the lowlands of the Pemi all the way up to Lincoln NH.  Snow remains in north facing areas above 1000 feet and the ground is mostly snowcovered at 1800 feet and above,  My woods still are mostly snowcovered but pastures are bare.  At 5:30pm I hit 56F which is the highest temperature this year! Actually going back my last high, higher than this was Nov 12 2012!!

Very temporarily in Williston (at my parent's place) while I find an apartment. Not quite sure where yet but Burlington or perhaps even as far as Waterbury or Middlebury.

Stay away from Middlebury if you want snow. I think NZucker, who went to school there, said they only average 65" and they don't hold snow cover very well.

Awesome! Avoid Middlebury and stay closer to Waterbury. Try Jericho or Huntington for smaller Villages. I lived in the Richmond area and that's nice for easy access everywhere.

From a weather standpoint, stay as near to the west slope or the Spine as possible, preferably 700ft or higher.

Awesome! Avoid Middlebury and stay closer to Waterbury. Try Jericho or Huntington for smaller Villages. I lived in the Richmond area and that's nice for easy access everywhere.

From a weather standpoint, stay as near to the west slope or the Spine as possible, preferably 700ft or higher.

I think living next door to J.Spin would be optimal.

I think living next door to J.Spin would be optimal.

Haha yeah I don't know which house is J.Spins but I know his area and there are only like 10 houses in that little jackpot zone under the Spine...if you actually live in Waterbury Village that's a few miles east of the Spine axis, like Stowe Village. Here at the ski area we are closer to the same axis as JSpin (albeit at a much higher elevation) relative to the Spine.

J.Spin really lucked out finding a house right in that like 1-2 mile wide zone which has the highest chances for precipitation and snowfall in any given flow.

Middlebury, from a town and area standpoint is great! Although for snow, as you said, not so much.

Middlebury, from a town and area standpoint is great! Although for snow, as you said, not so much.

Yeah I tend to look at things too much through the snow lens, haha. If it wasn't for snow, I'd definitely still live in Burlington. I loved living downtown there within a couple blocks of Church Street. Great atmosphere and people.

The scene at the hood this morning--clinging to scraps:

8635065646_fc07f3c7a5_z.jpg

Heavysnow79--the ice went out on Morey overnight.  I was there yesterday morning and there was still ice but a look at the webcam this morning reveals nothing but open water.  Unfortuneately it wasn't captured on the timelapse video other than a few chunks floating by in front of the inn....

Heavysnow79--the ice went out on Morey overnight.  I was there yesterday morning and there was still ice but a look at the webcam this morning reveals nothing but open water.  Unfortuneately it wasn't captured on the timelapse video other than a few chunks floating by in front of the inn....

I saw that this morning as well, it would have been very cool to catch on the time lapse!  Yesterday 85% of post pond was ice and this morning same thing just a small portion of the south side had some ice visible.

On Sunday we did our training on Northeast side near Aloha camps.  There was about 2-3" of ice, we had to swim out 25 feet or so to get to the ice.  But standing and jumping and we could break through it.  The wind was whipping and pushing the ice to the North side, after an evolution you would look up and the hole was 20 feet down the lake pretty quick.  Guess we got in our training at the right time :).  

Pond on our property is still solidly iced in, but that is just starting to receive some sun, so always much later than other places around.

A good cam to catch for time lapse of the ice is my friends over on Lake Winnipesaukee   www.Blackcatnh.com

Archived