• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

Snowing again from top to bottom... crazy April weather.  Looks like some squalls entering N.NY enroute this way. 

what a crazy season as a whole...completely boring January, when it's the typical winter month...and now january-esque conditions in April...very interesting to watch the season unfold

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right because this late in the season, the ski resort really isn't making any money anymore right? Most of it is front-loaded if I recall correctly.

For the most part... I mean most of April is a wash but you stay open for the passholders and its just part of the season.  Just like December can be slow prior to Xmas if its not cold/snowy. 

The thing is even the passholders stop coming out at a certain point...there will always be those of us who will ski all the time regardless, but we're in the same set that will hike for it once the lifts stop spinning.  Some ski areas like Killington are good about staying open but that's also a market size thing... if EVERY ski area stayed open, there wouldn't be enough skies to go around. 

To be honest, from what I've heard is that the entire state of VT had a banner ski year in terms of revenue after last year's disaster.  There were a lot of really well timed snowstorms (very snowy period around Xma) and a snowy February leading into Presidents Week.  January was lackluster but we even had a well timed snowfall just before MLK weekend. 

For the first time in years, it did not rain during any of the major vacation weekends/periods. 

What has really showed me that people are done, is that earlier this week we got a foot of fluff and there was no one here.  There was no one here the next day either...the snow has been great and its a ghost town.  If no one is here now, how many people will come in late April?  lol.   It really is true, sunshine and warm temperatures bring people out in April, not cold and snow. 

For the most part... I mean most of April is a wash but you stay open for the passholders and its just part of the season.  Just like December can be slow prior to Xmas if its not cold/snowy. 

The thing is even the passholders stop coming out at a certain point...there will always be those of us who will ski all the time regardless, but we're in the same set that will hike for it once the lifts stop spinning.  Some ski areas like Killington are good about staying open but that's also a market size thing... if EVERY ski area stayed open, there wouldn't be enough skies to go around. 

To be honest, from what I've heard is that the entire state of VT had a banner ski year in terms of revenue after last year's disaster.  There were a lot of really well timed snowstorms (very snowy period around Xma) and a snowy February leading into Presidents Week.  January was lackluster but we even had a well timed snowfall just before MLK weekend. 

For the first time in years, it did not rain during any of the major vacation weekends/periods. 

What has really showed me that people are done, is that earlier this week we got a foot of fluff and there was no one here.  There was no one here the next day either...the snow has been great and its a ghost town.  If no one is here now, how many people will come in late April?  lol.   It really is true, sunshine and warm temperatures bring people out in April, not cold and snow. 

i'll be honest...i would ski more if the prices were more affordable...i hit waterville valley on april 1st cause of the $1 left tix deal...found a motel room for 65 dolle\ars, stayed the night and skied loon the next day because they were having on internet tix sale- $54...I was hoping Stowe would have a spring skiing lift tix price because i would be up there in a heart beat...but, my budget is what it is, that's what is keeping me from skiing...not my lack of interest...

i'll be honest...i would ski more if the prices were more affordable...i hit waterville valley on april 1st cause of the $1 left tix deal...found a motel room for 65 dolle\ars, stayed the night and skied loon the next day because they were having on internet tix sale- $54...I was hoping Stowe would have a spring skiing lift tix price because i would be up there in a heart beat...but, my budget is what it is, that's what is keeping me from skiing...not my lack of interest...

I'm in the same boat.  I spent all of the money I had set aside for snowboarding by the end of February this year!  Since then I was gifted a lift ticket from a friend and scraped up three more ski days using internet sales deals.  Waterville valley was good for $1 but I was really glad I didn't pay full price.  Sunday River will be free on April 21st.

I'd really love to go to Stowe this spring but the length of the ride and the expense of the tickets means I will have to wait until next year.

That being said I can't really complain about it since I got 14 ski days in and my wife came along for 12 of them. 

I'm in the same boat.  I spent all of the money I had set aside for snowboarding by the end of February this year!  Since then I was gifted a lift ticket from a friend and scraped up three more ski days using internet sales deals.  Waterville valley was good for $1 but I was really glad I didn't pay full price.  Sunday River will be free on April 21st.

I'd really love to go to Stowe this spring but the length of the ride and the expense of the tickets means I will have to wait until next year.

That being said I can't really complain about it since I got 14 ski days in and my wife came along for 12 of them. 

hmmm, free?  i'm not sure i can pass that up...i will have to look into that...

Gonna be frigid up on the peaks tomorrow. -16C 850 temps will make for a nice lapse rate this time of year.

Good call.

Even at the office 2,500ft below that station its 15F and gusting 30-40mph with a skiff of snow blown into little wind drifts on the side of the building... looks and feels like January after a thaw.

I sure am glad tomorrow is looking warmer as we are having ice rescue training at Lake Morey. Just looks cold out the window this morning, can't imagine right along the water what the wind is like. As long as the suits don't leak all will be good, actually colder for the guys tending lines and what not.

A dusting overnight here as well.

Almost looked like mammatus clouds that moved over the mountain this morning... you can see the tail end of them under the Gondola.  At least that's what I thought they looked like though I usually think of them as more a summertime convection cloud.  Anyone good with clouds?

Warm and breezy for this time of night. Currently 48F with winds still gusting out of the S at over 20mph. Max was 56.3F following a min of 23.3F.

The next couple of days look nice...especially tomorrow. The end of the week looks interesting...nice battle between the GFS and EC right now. One more taste of wintry precip would be nice...it'd melt quickly anyways.

This is off topic but some of you know me from when I was in VT for the holidays and a couple of other occasions. Well that is about to become permanent. I am relocating to Burlington at the end of this month. It has been calling me for some time now. There are some other personal reasons as well. So I look forward to the change and what is ahead.

This is off topic but some of you know me from when I was in VT for the holidays and a couple of other occasions. Well that is about to become permanent. I am relocating to Burlington at the end of this month. It has been calling me for some time now. There are some other personal reasons as well. So I look forward to the change and what is ahead.

Nice! Awesome. Welcome to NNE.

Archived