Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That may have been the best squall line of the season... can't really think of anything that came close. 

Thunder, lightning, 50mph winds, and just heavy snow.  At least 3" fell on the upper mountain this afternoon as this moved through according to ski patrol... I can believe it as this was what it looked like in the base area.  Can't imagine what it was like 2,000 vertical feet higher.

72803_10151314183112382_1119263225_n.jpg

Opening day for baseball so I am officially in spring mode. Haven't even looked at a snow forecast since Saturday. Set up for some good spring skiing.

j

We are getting crushed up here!  Wow, I've now got 4" outside at the base (over 1" on my car in like 45 minutes).

When these photos were taken there was only 2.75" an hour ago...

Now we are up to 4" and groomers keep throwing higher numbers out for the summit... 6", then 7"...

Just dumping.

I had an inch in town when I left at 5:15am and it was snowing pretty hard there too.

Dipped under 20 overnight, with a few house-creaker gusts from CAA and a handful of large flakes - 2"-wide snow "piles" on the vehicles where the aggregates landed and disassembled.  Some Cu puffies showing up here in AUG, a few echoes over the Whites, especially MWN area, but moving due E so will remain south of here.

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.03” L.E.

I hadn’t really paid attention to the forecast, but I looked out toward the back this morning to find that no longer was it just the leftover snow, but everything was whitened again.  So it looks like it’s back to spring in NNE.  There was 1.1” on the snowboard as of the 6:00 A.M. CoCoRaHS report, and by the time I was heading out around 7:00 A.M., another 0.4” had accumulated.

I stopped in at Bolton Valley on the way to Burlington, and light snowfall in the valley was a decent 1”/hr snowfall up in the Village at 2,100’.  A couple of minutes after parking and beginning to get my gear together, I re-parked the car with the back facing to the east because everything inside was getting covered with flakes due to the heavy snowfall on those westerly winds.  That reorientation was apt, because then it really decided to snow; while I finished gearing up for the ascent, the snowfall ramped up to probably the 2-3”/hr or more, with visibility dropping to less than 100 yards.  It seemed like the parking lot picked up another inch in just 10 minutes.  On my ascent to the Vista Summit I made the following measurements for new snow over the old spring subsurface:

2,100’:  3-4”

2,500’:  4”

2,600’:  5”

3,100’:  5-6”

I wasn’t sure if the resort would be reporting snowfall today since they aren’t running the lifts until the weekend, but indeed they did report and came in with 4”.  That’s certainly reasonable based on what I found, and either a bit on the conservative side for the summit or they may be reporting just from the Village since the groomers hadn’t been out.  Measuring the depth of the new snow was somewhat difficult with the winds, which somehow seemed to find a way to mess with everything on the compass that had any sort of westerly component.  There had definitely been some southwesterly winds, because during my ascent of Cobrass I saw that the powder had been pretty blasted in most areas, and indeed up at the Vista Summit I found the wind turbine facing a somewhat uncommon southwesterly direction.  Seeing that wind, I opted for a more northerly aspect on Alta Vista for the descent, and it was notably better with respect to scouring.  Still, the snow is indeed quite dry as my snow data below indicate, so even with 115 mm underfoot I was still hitting the subsurface on 50% of turns.  The skiing was certainly decent, but depths are definitely not what I’m seeing in Powderfreak’s recent shots from Stowe – it looks like Mt. Mansfield was definitely the spot for this event based on those images and the reports coming out of the rest of the Vermont ski areas.  The temperatures seem to fit with today’s snowy views – my car’s thermometers were reading in the mid teens as I was leaving the Village and only around 20 F down in the valley at the base of the Bolton Valley Access Road.

Below I’ve added the north to south listing of available 24-48 hr snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas:

Jay Peak: 4”

Burke: 1”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 3”

Killington: 3”

Okemo: 4”

Bromley: 1”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 0”

As of ~10:30 A.M. I can see on our web cam that there’s been another 1.2” at the house since the 6:00 A.M. snowboard clearings, so that puts the total for this event at 2.3”.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 36.7

Snow Density: 2.7% H2O

Temperature: 24.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

Drove to a doc appointment in Williston and you can certainly tell where the snow band set up last night and where it didn't.  It was like a switch was flipped going from Stowe to Waterbury on RT 100...pretty much right at the town line it went from consistent snow cover and snow on the evergreens, etc to traces of snow in the shade.  By the time you hit I-89 there was nothing on the ground anywhere near the interstate into Burlington.  Now I'm back in Stowe and it has that look of November with just enough snow to cover the grass from this morning's 3", gray skies, and gusty NW winds. 

At least its white out back for another day and it'll probably make it through tomorrow, too.  Here's a shot from out behind the condo this evening.

Drove to a doc appointment in Williston and you can certainly tell where the snow band set up last night and where it didn't.  It was like a switch was flipped going from Stowe to Waterbury on RT 100...pretty much right at the town line it went from consistent snow cover and snow on the evergreens, etc to traces of snow in the shade.  By the time you hit I-89 there was nothing on the ground anywhere near the interstate into Burlington.  Now I'm back in Stowe and it has that look of November with just enough snow to cover the grass from this morning's 3", gray skies, and gusty NW winds. 

At least its white out back for another day and it'll probably make it through tomorrow, too.  Here's a shot from out behind the condo this evening.

attachicon.gifbackyard2.JPG

I am happy to let you have it this time of year, I'm on the Dryslot train, bring on Spring!  :P  I woke up to some sun and blue skies but our people who came from Burlington dealt with some slippery roads.  

I am happy to let you have it this time of year, I'm on the Dryslot train, bring on Spring!  :P  I woke up to some sun and blue skies but our people who came from Burlington dealt with some slippery roads.  

What was interesting about it from a meteorological view, is that it was a total freak event.  It had Great Lakes connection coupled with upslope.  The duration really wasn't all that long for the bulk of the snowfall, just heavy rates that happened to be timed just before and right around dawn.  It could've happened anywhere up and down the spine, but the axis ended up BTV to Stowe to Peacham/Cabot area in eastern VT.  I wonder if that carried into adjacent northern NH anywhere.

Anyway, a solid snowfall for the upper elevations, and a plowable snow for the mountain valleys between.

164238_10101538407101700_739094771_n.jpg

Archived