• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Spring 2013 Thread

klw

It's Springtime but that doesn't mean we won't get more snow.  (It just means it will melt faster)

There's a little bit of springtime in the back of my mind

Remembers when there was a time when we danced
And we laughed spent some time drinking wine
And somewhere in there there's a little child without a thought
Without a doubt that every cloud is silver lined
He is warm and everything is new and everything is clean
And everything is free and there were still so many things to see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZQ_7s0Fg48

Or for a little more hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFHPRi0ZeXE

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Springtime but that doesn't mean we won't get more snow.  (It just means it will melt faster)

I bet you'll get there.  Can't see why you can't squeak out a couple more.

Even last year I had an inch in April and with this year being much cooler, I'm fully expecting to tack on a little bit more.  I'm sitting at 95" on the nose right now.  While I'm sure we're not done with snowfall, I'll be surprised if mby can make the century mark.  Maybe...

Still have a foot on the ground in the yard but the valley is pretty much bare and even just down the hill from us, it gets shallow and spotty.  Can't fight the calendar, spring (or our version of it) is here.

Heard my first robins of the year last evening, the mud is bad and the owl is hanging around the feeder waiting for a squirrel.  Signs o' spring.

8590781112_aa22a0a47e.jpg

I bet you'll get there.  Can't see why you can't squeak out a couple more.

Even last year I had an inch in April and with this year being much cooler, I'm fully expecting to tack on a little bit more.  I'm sitting at 95" on the nose right now.  While I'm sure we're not done with snowfall, I'll be surprised if mby can make the century mark.  Maybe...

Still have a foot on the ground in the yard but the valley is pretty much bare and even just down the hill from us, it gets shallow and spotty.  Can't fight the calendar, spring (or our version of it) is here.

Heard my first robins of the year last evening, the mud is bad and the owl is hanging around the feeder waiting for a squirrel.  Signs o' spring.

8590781112_aa22a0a47e.jpg

Another one of there favorite dishes is pigeon

Thanks guys--I wish the chickadee was just a little further past the pole when I snapped the shot.  I didn't even know it was in the frame when I took the picture--obviously the main event was the owl itself.  It was kind of a sneaky shot out the kitchen window when the owl wasn't looking.  It's amazing how aware the owl can be of what's going on inside the house and how quickly the fly off if it sees or hears any movement. 

They seem to come around feeders more late in the winter and early spring--they're hungry after months of the rodentia hiding beneath the snowpack.

Mud's frozen this morning--better get out now while I can.  ;)

Couple of geese at Belgrade Stream along Route 27 yesterday.  They're convinced spring has sprung - they put several hundred miles of work into their assumption.

Beautiful and cloud-free, temp near 50.  Still 9-10" at the stake.  In the woods it varies from bare patches to 2'+ ares, and some snowy places have 6"+ water beneath.  Made for an adventure cruising the woodlot for post-harvest data.  With or without snowshoes (and I tried both), bog holes, bare patches, sticky snow, and slash piles made for all kinds of fun trying to walk on a constant bearing. I was at the far back corner of the lot, walking in the slash, when I somehow got one stick caught thru the webbing of both snowshoes, with obvious consequences.  But it was a wonderful day to be in the woods.

Calm winds and ground still mostly snowcovered could make for a chilly sunrise service tomorrow - probably 20s on the hillside where we gather, might be under 20 in my frost pocket.

On a beautiful spring day such as this, this young man's fancy turns to golf.  Alas, it looks like it will be a couple of weeks until my course opens.

This is the front side of Northfield Country Club.

post-363-0-93274000-1364669499_thumb.jpg

The back door of the clubhouse.

post-363-0-43942000-1364669553_thumb.jpg

Looking from the first tee down to the first hole.

post-363-0-37222500-1364669819_thumb.jpg

The practice green and down towards the third hole.

post-363-0-77686400-1364669887_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the golf course is in a pretty good location for snow retention.  I think the elevation is about 800' or so.  Our average opening is about April 20th and it looks like it will be at least then this year.

On a beautiful spring day such as this, this young man's fancy turns to golf.  Alas, it looks like it will be a couple of weeks until my course opens.

This is the front side of Northfield Country Club.

attachicon.gifNCC Clubhouse Front.JPG

The back door of the clubhouse.

attachicon.gifNCC Clubhouse Back.JPG

Looking from the first tee down to the first hole.

attachicon.gif1st Hole.JPG

The practice green and down towards the third hole.

attachicon.gifPutting Green - 3rd Hole.JPG

As you can see, the golf course is in a pretty good location for snow retention.  I think the elevation is about 800' or so.  Our average opening is about April 20th and it looks like it will be at least then this year.

That will be an impressive turn-around if that's completely melted out, dried, and greening up by April 20th... it'll be melted by then (with the exception maybe of that shaded, backside of the clubhouse that looks like it holds snow off the roof well, lol), but I think we are in for a drawn out mud-season for the courses.

I've got a little bit of the golf bug... it would be fun to have a little golfing get-together sometime this summer.  Seems there are a few golfers on here.

Nice Allenson!

No accums at 1550ft over here...but clouds are lifting and the trees are white starting between 2000-2500ft. Pretty decent stark snow line, but groomers reported maybe an inch at 3,600ft. Got conflicting reports between a coating and an inch, so wasn't confident enough list a full inch up top yet.

But definitely looks more wintery just off the deck here.

Well, what do you know?

0.4" of slushy snow out there on the deck this morning....

Nice Allenson!

No accums at 1550ft over here...but clouds are lifting and the trees are white starting between 2000-2500ft. Pretty decent stark snow line, but groomers reported maybe an inch at 3,600ft. Got conflicting reports between a coating and an inch, so wasn't confident enough list a full inch up top yet.

But definitely looks more wintery just off the deck here.

Just a patchy dusting at my house but noticed a couple of cars with an inch or so on them coming into work this morning.

Had 0.4" of very wet snow 5-6:30 AM, the kind which makes snowballs that have water running out, and was still snowing lightly as I headed toward AUG - almost 1" and messy road over Mile Hill.  At 6 AM huge "silver dollar" aggregates splatting down.  Still 9" at the stake - only lost 2" in 3 days with highs 50/50/51 (lows were 29/23/16 - chilly for sunrise service, though it was mid 20s on the hillside site.)

Archived