joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late March snow blitz! Part II March 24-25th

cyclone77

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came up with an average of about 9.5" as of earlier this morning. That is in addition to what fell early yesterday. Report of 10" a few blocks away makes me feel pretty good about the total.

Yeah, we're pretty close on amounts. 

Not sure if I want to venture out today, though the roads have to be in fairly good shape now, right? :lol:

Euro was good for LAF, even if it shifted south a tad at the end. NAM was a disaster, going from a big hit to a whiff in the span of a couple of runs. GFS was ok. RGEM and GGEM did very well I thought, again for here.

Snow keeps rotating in here this morning from the north/northeast. It doesn't want to quit evidently. :D

RGEM/GGEM had the heaviest band south of us on some runs prior to yesterday. GGEM did pick up on the more northern idea earlier on though.

I came up with an average of about 9.5" as of earlier this morning. That is in addition to what fell early yesterday. Report of 10" a few blocks away makes me feel pretty good about the total.

Yeah, we're pretty close on amounts.

Not sure if I want to venture out today, though the roads have to be in fairly good shape now, right? :lol:

Any plowed road is in very fine shape. The 34 degrees temps and sunshine have made them perfectly clear.

IND up to 9.0" storm total. March total snowfall now stands at 14.3"...the most in this month in Indianapolis since 1924. It's now the 4th snowiest March on record (since 1885).

0200 PM     HEAVY SNOW       1 S INDIANAPOLIS INT`L  39.71N  86.29W03/25/2013  M9.0 INCH        MARION             IN   NWS OFFICE            STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL.

Congrats to all the big winners.  My final total is 2.8 inches from 0.27" liquid.  For us the Euro was perhaps the best model, although many of its runs were a bit too dry(this has been the case for at least a few recent storms).  Most runs of the NAM/GFS were flat out too wet, some by a mile.  Of course, early on the GFS had this storm tracking much farther north and clobbering Iowa, which turned out to be garbage.

Wow good for you. Yea I was going by what the cmh guys were saying. Wonder what TOLwill report?

1.3" looks to be their final total... which i wasn't really surprised about given most of the banding stayed south and any enhancement today was focused east of I75.

Finished with 4.2" here though snow depth is much lower than that by now. 

1.3" looks to be their final total... which i wasn't really surprised about given most of the banding stayed south and any enhancement today was focused east of I75.

Finished with 4.2" here though snow depth is much lower than that by now. 

Congrats.

Yep, late March snows don't last long. At noon today, we were still receiving solid SN, the roads were covered, and everything was plastered. It was a winter wonderland with 7.7" down.

I went outside right before dark and the snow is gone from the trees and lines, the roads are clear, and the snow already has that "old" look to it. Probably down to 5" (I'll take an official CoCoRaHS measurement in the morning).

Congrats.

Yep, late March snows don't last long. At noon today, we were still receiving solid SN, the roads were covered, and everything was plastered. It was a winter wonderland with 7.7" down.

I went outside right before dark and the snow is gone from the trees and lines, the roads are clear, and the snow already has that "old" look to it. Probably down to 5" (I'll take an official CoCoRaHS measurement in the morning).

Yup its that time of year. Even through a thick overcast the spring sun does its work. I had 0.6" on 0.04" of water, and it was all gone by mid-late afternoon.

As for heavy spring snowstorms....here are my 4"+ snowstorms after March 20th and how fast they melted, even without very warm temps. Since 2000 (I didnt record snow depth from 1995-98). Will be interesting to see how fast everyones snow melts.

Mar 25/26, 2002: 8.0"

8am snow depth:

Mar 26: 1".....high/low 32/25

Mar 27: 7" ....high/low 40/22

Mar 28: 3".....high/low 42/22

Mar 29: 1".....high/low 52/34

Mar 30: T.......high/low 55/34

Mar 31: 0

Apr 7, 2003: 5.0"

8am snow depth:

Apr 7....1"......high/low 33/26

Apr 8....4"......high/low 35/28

Apr 9....3"......high/low 42/22

Apr 10..T.......high/low 52/22

Apr 11..0

Apr 23/24, 2005: 6.7"

8am snow depth:

Apr 24: 1".....high/low 36/31

Apr 25: 2".....high/low 59/34

Apr 26: 0

Mar 21/22, 2008: 6.8"

8am snow depth:

Mar 22: 7".....high/low 39/26

Mar 23: 4".....high/low 40/19

Mar 24: 3".....high/low 36/27

Mar 25: 1".....high/low 47/29

Mar 26: T......high/low 49/34

Mar 27: T.......high/low 42/28 *another 5.0" snowstorm

Mar 28: 5".....high/low 40/27

Mar 29: 1".....high/low 40/25

Mar 30: T......high/low 45/31

Mar 31: 0

Apr 5/6, 2009: 4.6"

8am snow depth:

Apr 6: 3".......high/low 37/32

Apr 7: 1".......high/low 36/29

Apr 8: T........high/low 52/31

Apr 9: 0

Amazing.

RECORD EVENT REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL725 AM CDT TUE MAR 26 2013...RECORD 24 HOUR SNOWFALL 17 INCHES AT SPRINGFIELD IL ON MARCH 24......TIED GREATEST SNOW DEPTH 16 INCHES AT SPRINGFIELD ON MARCH 25...THE 17 INCHES OF SNOW AT SPRINGFIELD IL ON SUNDAY MARCH 24TH SET THE24 HOUR SNOWFALL RECORD. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 15 INCHES SETON FEB 28 1900. A STORM TOTAL OF 18.5 INCHES OF SNOW FELL IN 30HOURS AT SPRINGFIELD FROM 1 AM SUNDAY MAR 24TH THROUGH 7 AM MONDAYMAR 25TH.THE SNOW DEPTH OF 16 INCHES AT SUNRISE ON MONDAY MARCH 25TH INSPRINGFIELD TIED A RECORD FOR DEEPEST SNOW DEPTH. THIS SNOW DEPTH OF16 INCHES WAS ALSO REACHED ON JAN 14-18TH 1918 AND MAR 8-9TH 1978.SNOWFALL RECORDS IN SPRINGFIELD BEGAN IN 1881. THIS IS PRELIMINARYDATA UNTIL CERTIFIED BY THE NATIONAL CLIMATE DATA CENTER (NCDC).

Archived