Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a detour sign can make it snow, maybe a new thread can break down the blocking and let Spring begin...

Hey! No spring talk on the eve of a WSW. :lmao:

Really, if its going to be cold we might as well get some more snow chances, but even being a die hard winter lover I am craving some warmth and sun. Some mid 60s and warm sun would feel nice.

Have you guys ever noticed how the NWS forecast will change back and forth without the update time changing? My forecast has flip flopped several times this afternoon for Monday. Sometimes it says, "Snow, heavy at times. 2-4 inches." Other times is just says, "Snow, 1-3 inches." Goes back and forth without the update time changing. Has done this before too. Right now, it says, "Snow, heavy at times. 2-4 inches." again. I bet in an hour or so, it'll go back to 1-3. lol

**EDIT**

Just went back to "Snow, 1-3 inches" for tomorrow. lol Tonight has stayed the same the whole time today.

k8nlTxA.png

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0328   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0613 PM CDT SUN MAR 24 2013      AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL IND...MUCH OF CNTRL/SRN OH...PORTIONS OF   CNTRL/NRN WV...EXTREME W-CNTRL VA      CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW       VALID 242313Z - 250515Z      SUMMARY...HEAVY SNOW WILL SPREAD EWD FROM CENTRAL IND INTO W-CENTRAL   OHIO BY 03Z. COVERAGE OF HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO EXPAND EWD   ACROSS CENTRAL AND SW OHIO INTO CENTRAL AND NRN WV AND FAR W-CENTRAL   VA BY 03Z-06Z. WIDESPREAD 1 INCH PER HOURS RATES ARE EXPECTED. SOME   THUNDER AND LOCALLY 2 INCH PER HOUR RATES ARE POSSIBLE FOR BRIEF   PERIODS IN CONVECTIVELY ENHANCED BANDS.      DISCUSSION...A SFC LOW LOCATED OVER ERN KY AT 23Z IS FORECAST TO   TRACK N/NE ACROSS THE OHIO RIVER INTO S/SERN OHIO BY AROUND 04Z AS A   MID LEVEL TROUGH SURGES EWD THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY. HEAVY SNOW   CURRENTLY FALLING ACROSS CNTRL IL INTO WRN/CNTRL IND WILL SHIFT EWD   IN CONJUNCTION WITH AFOREMENTIONED LOW. STRONG DEEP LAYER ASCENT   AHEAD OF THE LOW IN CONJUNCTION WITH MODEST LOW LEVEL FRONTOGENESIS   WILL HELP MAINTAIN PRECIPITATION RATES NEAR 1 INCH PER HOUR ACROSS   IND INTO W-CNTRL OH THROUGH AT LEAST 03Z...SPREADING ACROSS OHIO   INTO WV THROUGH 06Z. SOME WEAK ELEVATED INSTABILITY THROUGH THE   DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE MAY LEAD TO CONVECTIVELY ENHANCED BANDS...WITH   LOCALLY 2 INCH PER HOUR RATES POSSIBLE FOR BRIEF PERIODS ROUGHLY   ALONG/NEAR THE I-70 CORRIDOR IN OHIO AND SEWD INTO CNTRL/NRN WV   AFTER 00Z. A STRIKE OR TWO OF LIGHTNING MAY OCCUR IN THESE HEAVIER   BANDS. SFC TEMPERATURES ACROSS OHIO AND WV AT 23Z WERE ABOVE   FREEZING /33-36 DEGREES F/ AS OF 2230Z. WHILE PRECIPITATION MAY   BEGIN AS RAIN OR EVEN SPOTTY FREEZING RAIN...WET BULB PROCESSES WILL   ALLOW SFC TEMPERATURES TO QUICKLY COOL TO NEAR/BELOW FREEZING AND A   CHANGE TO SNOW SHOULD OCCUR QUICKLY.      ..LEITMAN.. 03/24/2013         ATTN...WFO...CTP...LWX...RNK...PBZ...RLX...CLE...ILN...IWX...   IND...      LAT...LON   40758679 41088549 40958391 40288067 39677927 39127885               38457902 37897952 37688013 38058111 38858258 39288467               39758647 40068688 40758679    

Hopefully that radar holds together as it continues to move NE.

NWS Pitt also mentioned possibility of Thundersnow in the convective bands. I wonder how far North that energy will make it? Who needs Severe season when you have Thundersnow!

If that holds together, and parks over us, we will get killed by it. That band means business.

Looks like precip in earnest won't start till quite a bit later. Likely not till after midnight.

If that holds together, and parks over us, we will get killed by it. That band means business.

Looks like precip in earnest won't start till quite a bit later. Likely not till after midnight.

That is the million dollar question I get when reading the NWS Discussions. Some uncertainty as to how long that stays over us. I hope someone gets crushed similar to the last event.

"ALTHOUGH MDL DEPICTIONS OF THAT TRACK ARE IN GENL AGRMT AND HAVE BEEN CONSISTENT...EXACT PLACEMENT AND LONGIVITY OF THOSE HEAVIER SNOW BANDS RMN QNABLE..."

Two of most important things you want in a late March snowstorm.....high rate potential, and night time occurance.

We got both, so the overnight should be interesting.

It really is perfect timing, heaviest snowfall will come between midnight and probably 9am. I always say 30 degrees at night in March is the same as 30 degrees at night in Jan so let her rip!

That is the million dollar question I get when reading the NWS Discussions. Some uncertainty as to how long that stays over us. I hope someone gets crushed similar to the last event.

"ALTHOUGH MDL DEPICTIONS OF THAT TRACK ARE IN GENL AGRMT AND HAVE BEEN CONSISTENT...EXACT PLACEMENT AND LONGIVITY OF THOSE HEAVIER SNOW BANDS RMN QNABLE..."

It really is perfect timing, heaviest snowfall will come between midnight and probably 9am. I always say 30 degrees at night in March is the same as 30 degrees at night in Jan so let her rip!

This is all good but the last storm I slept through. I went to sleep at Midnight (I didn't sleep well the night before and I was exhausted) and when I woke up at 6:30 I had 7 inches on the ground and the snow tapered off. I had to shovel my driveway but I missed the heavy snowfall rates completely. This may be similar. I will either have to stay up or wake up very early. Either way it is a double-edged sword. You need the night snow but you can't really enjoy it as it is happening.

FGCU game? How about that Pens and Flyers game!!!

Another awesome win by the Pens. Would have liked to see them deny Fraude Giroux and the Cryers any points but a nice way to finish especially after that dirty hit on Dupuis at the end of regulation.

Hopefully the trade for Brendon Morrow will pay off. Should be a good guy for the Malkin line if they can build any chemistry.

Another awesome win by the Pens. Would have liked to see them deny Fraude Giroux and the Cryers any points but a nice way to finish especially after that dirty hit on Dupuis at the end of regulation.

Hopefully the trade for Brendon Morrow will pay off. Should be a good guy for the Malkin line if they can build any chemistry.

Definitely feels good. Especially when the guy living next door to your apartment is your typical scumbag Flyer fan. It'll be really interesting to see what he brings to that line. At the very least he should be able to clog up the front of the net and open up some space for Geno and Neal.  

Archived