Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
CWG - Complaint/Praise thread

Deck Pic

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the weather equivalent of a forum of Pitchfork readers complaining their Top 40 station won't play St. Vincent, Fugazi, and The National. We ain't the majority. We like weather that makes the majority miserable.

I say rock on. But The Washington Post won't.

My favorite mets are those who are straightforward, interesting, but keep their personal opinion BS out of their forecasts and discussions. Great example is Eric Horst from Millersville.

I really don't think this blatant warmista pandering by CWG is necessary.

My favorite mets are those who are straightforward, interesting, but keep their personal opinion BS out of their forecasts. Great example is Eric Horst from Millersville.

You're just not going to get "omg this next storm is going to rock!" from a major media outlet. Especially now. People view snow as a disruption, a big pain in the ass.

I do agree with you all on the daily number stuff. Especially in the summer. "Sunny and pleasant" is enough for mild days.

My favorite mets are those who are straightforward, interesting, but keep their personal opinion BS out of their forecasts and discussions. Great example is Eric Horst from Millersville.

Their popularity would argue differently.

You're just not going to get "omg this next storm is going to rock!" from a major media outlet. Especially now. People view snow as a disruption, a big pain in the ass.

I do agree with you all on the daily number stuff. Especially in the summer. "Sunny and pleasant" is enough for mild days.

And I don't expect that.... none of us do. I think a lot of us would like straightforward forecasts and discussions without the unnecessary hype (which you see from certain pro-snow/cold mets and amateurs) or pandering/telling us how we should feel.

And contrary to what many think, it wouldn't automatically make weather reporting drab or boring.

Besides my issues with CWG's pro-warm bias and dorky storm names, I think they're a great source of weather info and do a great job communicating the forecasts and possible scenarios with storms.

I don't think there is pandering. Maybe they just like warmth. Again I'm not sure this place is the one to use as a benchmark for what people like. DC is a nice weather town above most else and as people like Matt have pointed out that might help lead to a general wimpiness of locals when it comes to extremes.

And I don't expect that.... none of us do. I think a lot of us would like straightforward forecasts and discussions without the unnecessary hype (which you see from certain pro-snow/cold mets and amateurs) or pandering/telling us how we should feel.

And contrary to what many think, it wouldn't automatically make weather reporting drab or boring.

Well, for starters, it's not a straight news page, it's a feature blog. Are they getting clicks, page views, and good time on site? If so, then they're probably not going to change.

I don't think there is pandering. Maybe they just like warmth. Again I'm not sure this place is the one to use as a benchmark for what people like. DC is a nice weather town above most else and as people like Matt have pointed out that might help lead to a general wimpiness of locals when it comes to extremes.

Totally agree.

Besides, if we were the benchmark for what people like, I wouldn't have so much success and fun antagonizing people on social media telling them their dreams of spring are being squashed yet again.

Well, for starters, it's not a straight news page, it's a feature blog. Are they getting clicks, page views, and good time on site? If so, then they're probably not going to change.

there is no directive...the daily digit is whatever the author wants...he can give a heat wave a 10/10...it doesn't matter.....CWG for years has given a platform encouraging people to complain as much as possible about any day that isn't 75-85 and sunny....There are guys at CWG who have given 10's to 89 degree days in April when AC"s arent working yet...these guys don't just like nice weather...their warm bias is completely incongruous with what people actually like...For Matt, Dave, Dan and sometimes Brian, it is beyond pandering.... They like when it is 90 out, and have little self-awareness that there are more than a couple people who might not...

but keep their personal opinion BS out of their forecasts and discussions. Great example is Eric Horst from Millersville.

Maybe not necessary, but as Jamie has said...we on this board aren't exactly "normal." The majority wants it to be warm and sunny everyday, and I'd say there are definitely more people from the general public who visit CWG than there are weenies. So I understand where they are coming from, even if I don't like it.

Inserting words like "unfortunately," or "I'm afraid to say" in a forecast is one thing. A major problem IMO would be writing 100% opinion pieces/going too far with the editorializing. You know, like angrily calling out school officials while asking for "proof" in a petulant fashion, then insulting an entire county (really, region) in bizarre/completely irrelevant rants. I'll give the benefit of the doubt though and assume that was just a one-time thing. ;)

Totally agree.

Besides, if we were the benchmark for what people like, I wouldn't have so much success and fun antagonizing people on social media telling them their dreams of spring are being squashed yet again.

We're outliers in the weather world for sure. I understand cwg's or any local media's spin on what "feels good". Local media and politics are similar in the sense that you need to side with popular opinion. Being contrarian is best left to the fringe. Amwx members are passionate but still fringe folks.

I embrace all seasons. I love them all and want them all to overperform. Except for summer. Overperforming here sucks if you work or enjoy being outside.

Maybe not necessary, but as Jamie has said...we on this board aren't exactly "normal." The majority wants it to be warm and sunny everyday, and I'd say there are definitely more people from the general public who visit CWG than their are weenies. So I understand where they are coming from, even if I don't like it.

Inserting words like "unfortunately," or "I'm afraid to say" in a forecast is one thing. A major problem IMO would be writing 100% opinion pieces/going too far with the editorializing. You know, like angrily calling out school officials while asking for "proof" in a petulant fashion, then insulting an entire county (really, region) in bizarre/completely irrelevant rants. I'll give the benefit of the doubt though and assume that was just a one-time thing. ;)

They've done a phenomenal job this year not editorializing in forecasts...their forecasts are very well done

there is no directive...the daily digit is whatever the author wants...he can give a heat wave a 10/10...it doesn't matter.....CWG for years has given a platform encouraging people to complain as much as possible about any day that isn't 75-85 and sunny....There are guys at CWG who have given 10's to 89 degree days in April when AC"s arent working yet...these guys don't just like nice weather...their warm bias is completely incongruous with what people actually like...For Matt, Dave, Dan and sometimes Brian, it is beyond pandering.... They like when it is 90 out, and have little self-awareness that there are more than a couple people who might not...

One of the issues with the daily digit is it gives the public another bashing benchmark. Air temps and how they feel can be very subjective. When I used to go on the Media Line forum's Wxline subforum, which was for TV mets, a guy on there talked about how his station came up with a graphic to give people an idea of what to leave for work with: umbrella, heavy coat, light jacket, light short sleeves, etc. People would b**ch at them because on some days people would think it was a light jacket day and they said heavy coat day and vice versa.

So yeah, I see what you mean about some people loving a 90-degree humid day and others not.

One of the issues with the daily digit is it gives the public another bashing benchmark. Air temps and how they feel can be very subjective. When I used to go on the Media Line forum's Wxline subforum, which was for TV mets, a guy on there talked about how his station came up with a graphic to give people an idea of what to leave for work with: umbrella, heavy coat, light jacket, light short sleeves, etc. People would b**ch at them because on some days people would think it was a light jacket day and they said heavy coat day and vice versa.

So yeah, I see what you mean about some people loving a 90-degree humid day and others not.

Does the general public (i.e. not weather geeks on American Weather) bash CWG for the numbering system they use?  A simple system that gives an opinion on how nice/not nice the weather is on any given day is a little different than trying to tell people what kind of clothing they should wear based on what the weather will be.

For the record, Dan has been absolutely murdering my forecasts in editing, including the digits.  It's quite frustrating to not even recognize my own forecast in the morning and have; "So-and-so" contributed to this post" at the bottom.  Especially when my forecasts go from partly sunny to mostly cloudy and cool and I have to spend all day reading comments about how my forecast busts.

For the record, Dan has been absolutely murdering my forecasts in editing, including the digits.  It's quite frustrating to not even recognize my own forecast in the morning and have; "So-and-so" contributed to this post" at the bottom.  Especially when my forecasts go from partly sunny to mostly cloudy and cool and I have to spend all day reading comments about how my forecast busts.

That does sound really frustrating. Good to know!

Also for the record since that sounds kind of bad, "murdering my forecasts"  is intended as rewording them and changing my verbage rather than changing my forecast outright.  That sounded a little harsh.  

seriously?...he changes your digit or just the description?

seriously?...he changes your digit or just the description?

There has been occasions of both.  Maybe I get to wordy since I tend to end it with a positive spin on a lower number, like playing up the snow for today or something.  Maybe they do it to everyones forecast, who knows.  But regardless, I'm not going to go any more into it since this isn't the place for it

Does the general public (i.e. not weather geeks on American Weather) bash CWG for the numbering system they use?  A simple system that gives an opinion on how nice/not nice the weather is on any given day is a little different than trying to tell people what kind of clothing they should wear based on what the weather will be.

It's pretty much the same idea. 

Archived