• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 18-20th Observation Thread

dryslot

7.9" was the final number at ORH bringing the seasonal total to 108.9". This passes 1960-1961 for the 5th snowiest season on record. Only 2004-2005 (114.3"), 2002-2003 (117.3"), 1992-1993 (120.1"), and 1995-1996 (132.9") were snowier.

The 7.9" also brings the March total to 30.9" which ties 1984 for the 8th snowiest March on record. The February/March combined total of 75.3" ranks #1 ahead of the old record of 70.1" in 1967. As Don S also pointed out yesterday, it is the snowiest 2 month period out of any months as well surpassing the 74.8" that fell in January/February 2005.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12.8" total for storm

Stowe Village CoCoRAHS guy had 13.2"... and I had a settled storm total of like 12.5" with no clearing... so probably around 13" is right.  Dense snow too!

Here's BTV's storm total map... solid double digit snowfall in most of the interior areas outside the two valleys on either side.

You can definitely see the SSE upglide over the terrain, with this entire east side of the Spine having no problem precipitating efficiently.

That first pic had me confused due to lack of visual scale. I was wondering why PF would post a pic of an Arctic fox pelt lying on the snow, then I realized there was a skier hidden there, with only the one basket giving it away. (The ski tips were the fox's nose.)

Guess my eyes aren't what they used to be...

That first pic had me confused due to lack of visual scale. I was wondering why PF would post a pic of an Arctic fox pelt lying on the snow, then I realized there was a skier hidden there, with only the one basket giving it away. (The ski tips were the fox's nose.)

Guess my eyes aren't what they used to be...

Don't feel bad, I just saw this in the NNE thread and thought it was a polar bear rolling around on its back.

pfreak! nice brotha

now a lil snippet from my friend pete bouchard who posts this monday on the whdh blog.

"Now I know what you're thinking. Does 2-4 really mean 12-18? No, no, no. We have this storm in-hand. We've analyzed this frontwards, backwards, upside down, sideways and diagonally. I'll leave it at that"

in this case it meant 8-10 for the city, but just saying.....pete would be better off saying there's a chance there is more in the form of snow........i mean i'm sure it was the east wind that was driving him nuts but anyway...he's callin for a storm monday based on a new theory of his that if a model shows a storm "nearby but not hitting us" it will and if a model shows it hitting us a week out "it won't" now he must be joking to some degree. but he does have snow all over the graphic for monday.

Don't feel bad, I just saw this in the NNE thread and thought it was a polar bear rolling around on its back.

Speaking of NNE, I'm in Brattleboro which is right in between there and SNE. Just posting to report that we got about a foot here. Mount Snow and Stratton probably got a foot and a half, but I couldn't make it up today, too busy. I'm not even sure anyone is in this area, at least who posts. But that is my Observation for this part of New England.

High of 32.3 today and still mostly powder out here.

Spent the afternoon in Boston and even as early as 1pm, there was barely any snow left.

That is 100% not true, when I left school today at 8pm in Dorchester right on the water, there was still a solid 4-5 inches and no bares spots.. Are you referring to snowbanks?

pfreak! nice brotha

now a lil snippet from my friend pete bouchard who posts this monday on the whdh blog.

"Now I know what you're thinking. Does 2-4 really mean 12-18? No, no, no. We have this storm in-hand. We've analyzed this frontwards, backwards, upside down, sideways and diagonally. I'll leave it at that"

in this case it meant 8-10 for the city, but just saying.....pete would be better off saying there's a chance there is more in the form of snow........i mean i'm sure it was the east wind that was driving him nuts but anyway...he's callin for a storm monday based on a new theory of his that if a model shows a storm "nearby but not hitting us" it will and if a model shows it hitting us a week out "it won't" now he must be joking to some degree. but he does have snow all over the graphic for monday.

i used to think he was a good met. he can be good, but he has had a rough winter.

Speaking of NNE, I'm in Brattleboro which is right in between there and SNE. Just posting to report that we got about a foot here. Mount Snow and Stratton probably got a foot and a half, but I couldn't make it up today, too busy. I'm not even sure anyone is in this area, at least who posts. But that is my Observation for this part of New England.

I'm in Bernardston, Ma.....

I'm in Bernardston, Ma.....

OK, that's close. I figure I have similar climatology to Northwestern Mass., whereas up in Central and Northern VT, it's different. That's why I post OBS in the SNE-oriented forums. Plus, I was born in Concord, Mass., but when I was like 2 years old, grew up in Boston and Boston Area (Newton) pretty much until college. Also have lived in Providence (and NYC), for quite a few years and still get down there. I know there are a few others around you and a bit West.

BTW, you may have seen, I've been lurking since 2005 (Eastern, of course), and have learned a lot, but mostly just absorb info from the experts here. A couple months ago, I started adding OBS from my area.

OK, that's close. I figure I have similar climatology to Northwestern Mass., whereas up in Central and Northern VT, it's different. That's why I post OBS in the SNE-oriented forums. Plus, I was born in Concord, Mass., but when I was like 2 years old, grew up in Boston and Boston Area (Newton) pretty much until college. Also have lived in Providence (and NYC), for quite a few years and still get down there. I know there are a few others around you and a bit West.

BTW, you may have seen, I've been lurking since 2005 (Eastern, of course), and have learned a lot, but mostly just absorb info from the experts here. A couple months ago, I started adding OBS from my area.

Brattleboro's climate is definitely more like NW MA than much of VT, but being east of the Green Mountains I think you have a bit of an advantage in terms of snowfall compared to areas like Bennington and Pownal since they will get shadowed horrendously during your typical synoptic snowstorm due to easterly winds downsloping off the mountains. As a snow nut, I think I'd rather live in SE MA than Bennington. That's how bad that spot is.

You will downslope off of the Monadnocks east of you, but generally it isn't as bad as downsloping off of the Greens since they're a much larger topographic barrier than the Monadnocks. In addition, your area will hold the cold better during warm advection scenarios than areas west of the mountains, leading to somewhat better snowpack retention. I was up in your neck of the woods last week traveling west to east on VT 9 and there was nothing in Bennington whereas Brattleboro still looked snowcovered in the woods. Of course, the area between West Marlboro and Woodford had tons of snow with near two feet in the Chimney Hill section of Wilmington near Haystack. Mind you this was last week before the recent snowfall and after the rainstorm.

Brattleboro's climate is definitely more like NW MA than much of VT, but being east of the Green Mountains I think you have a bit of an advantage in terms of snowfall compared to areas like Bennington and Pownal since they will get shadowed horrendously during your typical synoptic snowstorm due to easterly winds downsloping off the mountains. As a snow nut, I think I'd rather live in SE MA than Bennington. That's how bad that spot is.

You will downslope off of the Monadnocks east of you, but generally it isn't as bad as downsloping off of the Greens since they're a much larger topographic barrier than the Monadnocks. In addition, your area will hold the cold better during warm advection scenarios than areas west of the mountains, leading to somewhat better snowpack retention. I was up in your neck of the woods last week traveling west to east on VT 9 and there was nothing in Bennington whereas Brattleboro still looked snowcovered in the woods. Of course, the area between West Marlboro and Woodford had tons of snow with near two feet in the Chimney Hill section of Wilmington near Haystack. Mind you this was last week before the recent snowfall and after the rainstorm.

Thanks for the info, that adds a lot to my limited knowledge of snowfall variables in Southern VT. I lived in San Francisco as well (bounced around a bit after college), and one reason I moved back was for the seasons and snow. We could drive up to Tahoe, but I like it outside my front door, and really like cold weather. It's what I grew up with. Plus, I'm a New Englander through and through - my family goes back here literally hundreds of years. And, I have to say, you're one of the few people who know there's a "West" Marlboro! It's where my father lives now. So, yeah, I'll keep posting OBS, and keep reading what you guys post. I'm glad I got a little more involved.

Archived