Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 18th-March 20th OBS Thread

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im sure this has been asked...but whats that line I always see on radars going from LI to SE NY?

It is an area not covered by the radar beam.  I'm not sure how they work, but it might be a structural member of the dome that covers the equipment or perhaps the beam itself is moved back and forth about 359 degrees, leaving that little sliver unscanned.

nws upton has finally given in after the fact and are now going with 1-3 inches in CPK(which is what is already likely there)

They are the pros and few could do better.  A Winter Weather Advisory is now up, snowfall predictions are usually very challenging and tonight was a prime example of the challenge.

Heh earthlight 18z hi res nam and rgem ftw? Hi res nam snow map nailed the ewr lga 2-4 (even though it had 4-6 was much better than any other forecast)

The high resolution models were terrific in picking up on the thermal profiles remaining cool during the initial burst of precipitation. Impressive performance from many of them.

Guest Pamela

Snow has become light again here.  When I measured 20 minutes ago, we had 1.3"  The temp is just below freezing.

Measured 1.7" of snow in Port Jefferson as of 10:05 PM.  It is impressive because it did not really start to snow (other than flurries) until 8:20 PM.

Guest Pamela

Measured 1.7" of snow in Port Jefferson as of 10:05 PM.  It is impressive because it did not really start to snow (other than flurries) until 8:20 PM.

Mixed precip falling here now.

Im sure this has been asked...but whats that line I always see on radars going from LI to SE NY?

It is an area not covered by the radar beam.  I'm not sure how they work, but it might be a structural member of the dome that covers the equipment or perhaps the beam itself is moved back and forth about 359 degrees, leaving that little sliver unscanned.

My understanding is that it's actually caused by the 300-ft. tall stack for an old research reactor (now decommissioned) at Brookhaven Lab. It's only about 1/4 mile from the Upton doppler, so it takes out a small slice there which spreads the further NW you get. The stack is scheduled to come down sometime in the next five years... 

Another 0.12 at the park. 31/29 with 0.42 in the bucket. 0.24 since last snow measurement. In other words close to 4 for sure

Sure about that? Should have been above 4 with the last storm so it wouldn't surprise me to see the zookeeper pull off a 2.5 or 3". But they were under heavy echos for the duration of the time they were all snow so they should have a nice total.

Driving rain here now, watching what's left of the snow melt.

Archived