Newest Member
    joxey
March 6-8 2013 Significant Coastal Storm Observations

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

For the  first time during this whole thing, I'd have to say legetimate (visibility under 1/4 mile) heavy snow is falling here. 

Measured 8 different spots around my property and my neighbors got to a average of 6.7 on grassy surfaces and 4.6 on pavement. All in all I am happy with what I got and I would definitely say this was a overpreformer and although I don't expect anymore accumulations the snow falling right now looks pretty. 

Dude...Thats not how it works lol. I'll take your 8.3" measurement from earlier this morning and call it a day. Great storm.

It's more than 8.3", I measured 9" around 10:30 or so, that was as high as we got on the ground. I did get around an inch accumulation between 9 and 1, not sure if the compaction is accurate, but I would go with 9" at the minimum. We got atleast 1/2  since the 8.3 mesurement, my footprints were covered in white again, melted now. Take it as you like, but I'm confident that we got more than 8.3" It was really great, totally a positive bust, and a great way to end winter(Although according to 12z EURO and 12z GGEM, we might not be done.)

-skisheep

This picture is for that user who told me 3 days ago to forget it.. that nyc was not going to get snow..that this was not our storm..that this was a DC storm.

Every storm this year is a 40 north storm, it even divides philly up with northern part getting 2 or 3 inches I hear from reports, while the south side gets very little!

It's more than 8.3", I measured 9" around 10:30 or so, that was as high as we got on the ground. I did get around an inch accumulation between 9 and 1, not sure if the compaction is accurate, but I would go with 9" at the minimum. We got atleast 1/2  since the 8.3 mesurement, my footprints were covered in white again, melted now. Take it as you like, but I'm confident that we got more than 8.3" It was really great, totally a positive bust, and a great way to end winter(Although according to 12z EURO and 12z GGEM, we might not be done.)

-skisheep

lol, you can't count snow that is instantly melting as part of your total because it basically was never there...i'd say a total would be when the accumulating snow stops and you are at the max on the ground...all the other stuff is basically white rain

lol, you can't count snow that is instantly melting as part of your total because it basically was never there...i'd say a total would be when the accumulating snow stops and you are at the max on the ground...all the other stuff is basically white rain

It was there for one instant, but we don't need to get into the physics of it now :) Disregarding that then,  Max depth was 9", plus .3" from earlier yesterday(it is the same storm, it never stopped snowing),  and compaction+settling from overnight, I think 10" is sitll reasonable and I sent it to NWS, it corrobrates well with other reports from the immediate area.

-skisheep

A storm like this is why you really should be doing the snow board method. Measure after 6 hours, clear the board, measure after the next 6 hours, etc. 

Dude...Thats not how it works lol. I'll take your 8.3" measurement from earlier this morning and call it a day. Great storm.

Yeah, just realized that that's kind of a silly way of looking at it, because if it instantly melts, was it really there?. I still think 10" is reasonable, I had 9" OTG at around 10:30 or so, plus .3" from yesterday, plus compaction and settling from overnight. Might be 9.8" or so, I sent 10" to NWS and looking at the PNS it matches up well with other reports from the area.

-skisheep

A storm like this is why you really should be doing the snow board method. Measure after 6 hours, clear the board, measure after the next 6 hours, etc. 

I do need to do that, I was going to go outside last night, but it was 2 AM, and I really didn't feel like getting dressed in snow gear and venturing out, was perfectly content to sit on the couch. I added .7" to account for compaction, does that seem too high? I figure it was an inch an hour at times last night, the compaction would have been signfiicant. Looking at obs from NE forum it's around 10% higher using the every six hours method, .7 is a bit less than 10%, but it was lighter down here. I included a disclaimer in my report to NWS, they can choose if they want to include it or not, I told them if they get another report from stamford consider throwing mine out...

-skisheep

This picture is for that user who told me 3 days ago to forget it.. that nyc was not going to get snow..that this was not our storm..that this was a DC storm.

IMG-20130308-WA0004.jpg

Awesome

Sure as heck is awesome, thanks for snapping the picture of our backyard while I am at work, lol.

yeah I realized that after I posted, I still think 10" is reasonable though.

-skisheep

Archived