SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though Mets don't want to admit it, it seems like the 12z NAM is out peforming 12z Euro right now.   Just look at the 6 hour forecasts on both models.  Euro barely has any preciin in SNJ.

Mount Holly even says the storm is over performing currently with stronger winds along the coast...they also say the storm should linger for days.    (they obviously don't seem to be taking 12z Euro for granted)

Any professional thoughts on this are appreciated. Mets preferred.   As much as people hate on the NAM, it seems to be winning so far.

How is the NAM winning? It's QPF numbers were way too high and the positioning of the low was too far west......

Wow, NWS just downgraded to a winter weather advisory for just a few inches of snow, at most, for the whole DC-Balt area - epic forecast bust. Feel sorry for the snow enthusiasts, especially since 50 miles west got 18" or more of snow.  I have a friend in DC who kept asking me what was up, as it was raining all day and I kept telling her to check the NWS and the AmericanWx threads - she's discovered a whole new world of geekdom - and isn't unhappy missing the snow, like most of us would be.  Can't even imagine their forum right now.  From 6-12" to 4-8" at 9:30 am to 1-2" now.  Heartache - at least if we don't get much here, most rational people were only expecting 2-5".  To be on board for up to a foot of snow and to get 1-2"- if they even get that - would suck. 

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/

I think people need to stop looking at the models and look at pressure falls etc and get into a nowcasting mode.

Looking at radar you can see that the precipitation shield is contracting southeast and that the moisture is having a hard time moving to the north. 

The confluence is strong across the region and this has prevented the northward movement of the QPF ...

Also the boundary layer is very warm ..

post-342-0-54673600-1362600180_thumb.gif

Wow, NWS just downgraded to a winter weather advisory for just a few inches of snow, at most, for the whole DC-Balt area - epic forecast bust. Feel sorry for the snow enthusiasts, especially since 50 miles west got 18" or more of snow.  I have a friend in DC who kept asking me what was up, as it was raining all day and I kept telling her to check the NWS and the AmericanWx threads - she's discovered a whole new world of geekdom - and isn't unhappy missing the snow, like most of us would be.  Can't even imagine their forum right now.  From 6-12" to 4-8" at 9:30 am to 1-2" now.  Heartache - at least if we don't get much here, most rational people were only expecting 2-5".  To be on board for up to a foot of snow and to get 1-2"- if they even get that - would suck. 

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/

Their version of NYC March 2001...

Archived