• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    skat322
    Newest Member
    skat322
Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ji

The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Completely demoralizing.  Even after thundersnow and yellows moving in over DC on the radar, turns out to be nothing more than a snow shower. I know temperatures ended up being an issue, but curious if someone can explain another meterological reason why this entire thing just seems to have fallen apart for the city? After this latest let down post thundersnow, sort of thinking DC does not break 2 inch mark, even if temps drop a little more later.

Not even remotely did it fall apart for just the city...

Been snowing at a decent clip for about 1.5 hours now.  Vis ~1-2mi.  Just can't accumulate at 34.9F. 

Temp 35.5 F

DP 35 F

Total Rain:  0.95"

Started as snow here in eastern MD around 1 am, and has been rain all morning. Some brief sleet came through but only lasted a few minutes

Incredibly frustrating with those strong returns, all we're getting is light snow.  I will say the winds are surprisingly strong a few feet above the ground.

I just came inside after playing outside with my 7 year old for about an hour.  Totally soaked, but he had fun, so it was worth it.  I'm ready for Spring.

Look at some of the bands moving across the Eastern Shore... those will be interesting when they move west of the bay... 

attachicon.gifWUNIDS_map.gif

They'll find a way to fall apart long before they get to us :).

Not even remotely did it fall apart for just the city...

March just seems made for busts. If I was a pro forecaster, would never want to stick my neck out again on a March snowfall forecast. Didn't Blizzard of 1993 also bust in part of DC when it changed over to rain/sleet?  March 2001 also had a severe underperformer. But guess that storm in early March in 2009? turned out o.k. But boy, this is a bad let down.

My snow is melting as fast as it is falling. I measured - thought, based on rates, I would see 4" - NOPE - 1.5 - 2" - THAT IS IT - I have been in yellows and dark greens for hours!

****! how does everyone around you have 4+?

****! how does everyone around you have 4+?

We've been under 25+dbz for a long time....light flurries and drizzle.  In the lower mid-a it always finds a way to underperform...

It doesn't know if it wants to rain or snow. Going back and forth here in Adelphi. Constant wind though. Waiting for the big band to roll through. So far, I haven't seen anything heavy since this morning at 8:30am.

Thunder and heavy snow for about an hour now in Arlington, but I've had more snow melt than accumulate, March sun-angle really is a biatch.

Ok on the COD radar the North and west side are beginning to collapse and weaken... Im throwing in the towel here on the western shore of the bay. we may see snow soon but with the ground so wet and still at 38 it will take a while to stick...

dc/moco band is growing. I'm below half mile and roads are getting some slush. C'mon baby. 4" of paste and I'm all good.

I'm rooting for you Bob! I hope Rockville gets crushed with thundersnow. I teach in MCPS :) I'm at about 4.5" in Damascus, but like try to fill a bucket full of Wholes.

Been snowing moderately to heavy and steadily for the past hour in Sparks, MD (21152).  Too warm to accumulate except as slush on cars.  Pretty to watch.  Ground is barely white.

Dulles airport is reporting 4" according to TWC. I am not far away, and I think I have about that much. I don't really have a good place to measure so this is just a guess. Still snowing hard here.

Looks like the >20" will happen in the high spots. How much does Leesburg have.

Been pouring snow most of the morning, but I only have 3" or 4" sitting outside. 

Been snowing moderately to heavy and steadily for the past hour in Sparks, MD (21152).  Too warm to accumulate except as slush on cars.  Pretty to watch.  Ground is barely white.

It's 3.5" where I am in Cockeysville, but just a few miles down the road it looks just like you described......ugly slop and not really much of anything sticking.

Looks like a lot of the area is mixing more now

for the first time rain mixing in with the snow here in gaithersburg. This warm air means business.

Ugh..it's looking a little mixy here as well.