joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major band setting up and sitting over the FX and Loudoun county border.  Would not be surprised if IAD approaches double digits.  Going to be heck of a gradient going E from there.

That is just it, radar is not the reality fot this storm.  I am under the yellow part of that band in MoCo and while the snow looks occasionally moderate out there,  it's having hard time accumulating.  

Are the marginal conditions with the fat flakes causing a moderate form of the high reflectivity like sleet does thereby giving a false sense of how heavy the precip really is?

Gonna need a "Frank Reich over the Oilers" type miracle to salvage something out of this...snow picking up again but just falling into puddles on the pavement.

Now there is a reference that will only make sense to people of a certain (old) age.  lol

Kinda bummed here in arlington,  looks like there is a sharp cutoff west to east of nothing but slop on the ground near the city and nearly a foot 30-60 miles west of the city.  Congrats to all those out west raking it in.  Hoping for 3 inches here in arlington on the backend before it's said and done, and I'll be happy.

That is just it, radar is not the reality fot this storm.  I am under the yellow part of that band in MoCo and while the snow looks occasionally moderate out there,  it's having hard time accumulating.  

Are the marginal conditions with the fat flakes causing a moderate form of the high reflectivity like sleet does thereby giving a false sense of how heavy the precip really is?

Just because its not accumulating doesn't mean it's not snowing as hard as the radar would indicate. We don't have terribly cold temps, and we're fighting March sun angle. You ned very heavy rates to accumulate in this situation, but when you get them, it can pile up fast.

Tom Keurine (sp) on channel 4 said they had "a couple of inches" of snow on the ground in upper NW.

doubtful.. peaked around 1" or a bit more on the grass here.. less now

Have seen a few flakes mix in with heavier rain bands but that's about it in Calvert on the water. Lots of puddles ;-) We are getting some crazy winds though- gusts above 50, sustained 24- which makes me worry a bit about losing power. No snow and losing power would rise this above epic bust for me.

Just because its not accumulating doesn't mean it's not snowing as hard as the radar would indicate. We don't have terribly cold temps, and we're fighting March sun angle. You ned very heavy rates to accumulate in this situation, but when you get them, it can pile up fast.

But, it's not snowing like there are 30-35 dbz returns overhead.  Vis is still pretty good.  

Archived