Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prince William County has been doing very well. It's been snowing very steadily with nice, fluffy snowflakes, and the last two hours has been especially heavy. It started snowing last night around 10 PM, and as far as I know, it hasn't stopped since then. Never saw a drop of rain, either. Snow has collected nicely on all trees and shrubs, and everything looks beautiful. Measurements taken on flat surfaces range between 4.5 and 5 inches, but it's piled higher than that on bird feeders and places like that. I could post pictures if anyone is interested...

Did the northern stream have anything to do with this? Did the GL Low act as kicker, shunting the system further south than expected??

There must be a meteorological explanation for why this happened. This outcome is just too divergent from what was forecasted by any of the Big-3

Doesn't really look like the low itself went south.  There is a nearly stationary 994 low sitting in the mouth of the bay.  Pretty much right where the GFS had it. 

It's been snowing for 15 hours..... maybe 2+" :(

LWX drops all warnings. Those close to 95 have advisories, out west by the mountains and out towards the bay have nothing.  

Harford County is not under any warnings or advisories.  Rain, rain, rain.

LWX just lowered my daytime snow accum to "1-2" POSSIBLE"

and they're still too high         !

and they wonder why there's always talk about reducing NWS budget    lol

Did you check your area forecast?

Middle River

• This Afternoon Rain. High near 39. Windy, with a north wind 23 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
  • Tonight Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 9pm. Low around 33. Breezy, with a north wind 20 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Edit:   Looks like Mt. Holly won the arm wrestling match against Sterling.

Just popping in to mention it's been straight-up snowing for hours here in eastern Carroll and the measurable accumulation has steadily decreased to nothing.  The snow is so wet it's actually melted my snow.

So, for those of you getting rain, don't worry -- the snow isn't any better.

Just popping in to mention it's been straight-up snowing for hours here in eastern Carroll and the measurable accumulation has steadily decreased to nothing.  The snow is so wet it's actually melted my snow.

So, for those of you getting rain, don't worry -- the snow isn't any better.

About the same here.  My snow thrower hates me after spending the last hour and a half trying to clear the 5" of barely frozen water off of the driveway.  I have never seen 5" of accumulation this wet before.  I am soaked to the bone.

And spotty banding instead of a solid shield-- there are all these random locations in Fairfax and P William counties that met the lower end of the forecast.

That was my earlier point. It wasn't totally a temp thing. I saw model after model after model spit out .4+ in multiple 6 hour periods. I saw 700 panels pasting us with big uvv's to go along with sim radars hammering me with rates. That is what busted and busted huge.

I know exactly what type of storm the models told me I was going to get but that's not how it happened. And ric is still trying to figure out why they had severe thunder snow.

DC had thundersnow with half mile vis. Something went seriously wrong.

The NWS employee needs to be fired...

I live at just about there and this person reported another 1" of snow since 1130.  It's been raining...

If it's rain that is one thing, but the measurement is how much has fallen not how much is on the ground - if they used a board and cleared it frequently it might show different numbers.  We had crazy rates here earlier and I bet at least 8" fell and accumulated at least temporarily but it is now compacted to 4-5" of liquid cement.

Archived