Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm in NW DC. Thinking of going for a drive to see real snow. Thoughts of best places to go within 60-90 minutes where I can see at least a few inches?

Go as far west and as high in elevation as possible. Seriously in my town a few hundred feet is making a world of a difference today.

So I'm in NW DC. Thinking of going for a drive to see real snow. Thoughts of best places to go within 60-90 minutes where I can see at least a few inches?

Highly advise it if you know how to drive in it. Legit snow out on 66 towards centreville. I got tired of waiting for this nonsense

Get on I-66 West and see how close you can get to the Shenandoah Valley in 60 to 90 minutes.  Depending on conditions, you should get close enough to see some 10"+ accumulations.  

Not sure anywhere within 60 minutes is worth the effort. Maybe in 90 minutes you could get out to Faquier County or far westen Loudon. But you may be underwhelmed regardless, so would think hard about how far you want to go vs. just waiting till next year.

Can someone explain the debacle here? I refuse to believe that it all comes down to temperatures being a bit too warm. There must have been some synoptic feature or some major flaw the skewed both the GFS and NAM. Not even the EURO's solution was as futile.

I knew it was a mistake, but I threw my snow wheels on the car last night just in case. Now I'm just too lazy to drive to find snow.

I figure once I leave, it'll shut down out there, the roads will clear :(, and I'll be missing the burst back here in Alexandria.

If I were to go, I'd probably head out 66. The truth is, wet snow generally isn't as fun to drive in as the more powdery stuff.

One (of many) problems is that the bands haven't actually been moving the temperature much.  I hit the afternoon high before this last band hit, and dropped a whopping 0.4 degrees during the band.  The boundary layer is just too warm, and without extreme dynamics like down by Richmond, it just isn't going to happen for DC east.

this particular one seems to pack a punch. Better proximity and trajectory. Or I'm just being a hopeless weenie who should remove himself from this board and drop the hobby. 

No sir, you along with the rest of the guys are not wrong in parlaying the remainder of your hope in what the DOX radar shows. There sure is a firehose, and my no means is our low moving east out to sea right now. It is being tugged a bit west in a wobbling fashion through the flanking line that exists on the southeastern side. 

The h5 low and h7 circulations are becoming vertically stacked. Overall, the truth is that the storm is trekking more w and north than anticipated, and as I mentioned earlier a more traditional CCB like area could develop shortly. The lapse rates are driving these bands, and frontogenesis is healthy enough to support the thundersnow. Don't expect the low to move longitudinally in the next few hours, its about parked for now. 

No sir, you along with the rest of the guys are not wrong in parlaying the remainder of your hope in what the DOX radar shows. There sure is a firehose, and my no means is our low moving east out to sea right now. It is being tugged a bit west in a wobbling fashion through the flanking line that exists on the southeastern side. 

The h5 low and h7 circulations are becoming vertically stacked. Overall, the truth is that the storm is trekking more w and north than anticipated, and as I mentioned earlier a more traditional CCB like area could develop shortly. The lapse rates are driving these bands, and frontogenesis is healthy enough to support the thundersnow. Don't expect the low to move longitudinally in the next few hours, its about parked for now. 

you are my favorite new poster on the planet of the united states of the world. 

Been in my office in Downtown Leesburg for a couple hours - does not appear to have been much more accumulation - so I'd still say around 4 inches. Not sure what has happened at my house (about 8 miles South) - but we typically get more down there (perhaps some elevation).

Current obs are very light mix. Roads in Downtown Leesburg are just wet; not slushy.

Trying to convince housemates to go on a snow drive...

Me: anybody want to drive 45 mins or so and see some real snow?

Housemates: uh, why would we want to do that....?

Me: CAUSE IT'S SNOW

This should be more self-explanatory.

Come pick me up.  16th/spring.   I'll be the only black guy waiting to go on a SNOW CHASE.  I'll be easy to spot.   See you in 10.

it sure does. slp isn't scooting away either. it's kinda wobbling. I'm ALL F'N IN on the superbandedfirehose

Just not sure on temps and how much we get. Prob better for places like NE MD than me but our last hope so ill hug,

Trying to convince housemates to go on a snow drive...

Me: anybody want to drive 45 mins or so and see some real snow?

Housemates: uh, why would we want to do that....?

Me: CAUSE IT'S SNOW

This should be more self-explanatory.

"Normal" people can be so boring :thumbsdown:

Not sure anywhere within 60 minutes is worth the effort. Maybe in 90 minutes you could get out to Faquier County or far westen Loudon. But you may be underwhelmed regardless, so would think hard about how far you want to go vs. just waiting till next year.

Centreville is worth it if you like a few inches with mod snow and stickage

Archived