joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sbox_wx, which app is that? That's the best radar I've seen on Android.

34 degrees, heavy snow right now, winds picking up -- went to back to sleep for a couple hours and the ~1.5" we had at 4:30 a.m.-ish compacted to under an inch here, but with current snowfall rate it's re-stacking quickly and sticking to pavement again.

Looks like RadarScope to me...

Taking a look at the infrared / water vapor loop it is clear we are in a relative lull as energy transfers from the Ohio Valley low to the coastal.  Infrared imagery as of 10:00 am shows a progressive cooling and westward expansion of cloud tops as the coastal low really gets cranking.  This is translating to a notable increase in banding on Sterling and Dover radars.  Still confident in another round of accumulating snows, especially west of I-95.

Pretty ugly here in Towson...the inch or so we got overnight has been steadily eroding/melting, and it's just a nasty and persistent RA/SN mix that refuses to stick to anything. I fail to see how we can turn this around - even with big rates, it's just too warm.

What a terrible bust...

Happy for everyone out west getting pounded, but this is pretty heartbreaking.

Still very light snow, but sky has brightened considerably.  Some melting is occurring.  It may snow on and off the rest of the day, but if it doesn't get a lot heavier, for a long period of time, I don't see how I get any more to accumulate on top of the 3 inches that fell overnight here.  NWS will need to start reducing forecast totals soon.  Nice for March, and I'm OK with it, but sun angle is killer.  Too bad we didn't get this in January.  

Anyway, once this storm is over, I go into Spring mode.

Archived