Newest Member
    Dano62
Central PA - March 2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CTP update for watch expansion:

Interesting.

Well, I never got skunked in 09-10 from any of them. 4 in the Dec. one, 15 from the first Feb one and 9 from the second. If people want to throw around the early Feb 2010 stuff, I say go ahead. Do you remember what the models showed prior? I am thinking the snow came further north than modeled but I can't recall for sure.

Those totals over eastern PA look good, but you need to look at how you get there too I think. Those totals are accumulating over 24 hours, and getting .3 inches of QPF, in early march, with low ratios over a 24 hour period is likely not to add up to all that much accumulating snow.

we have it starting overnight plus banding features will help out as well

And I am not trying to troll anyone on here, honestly, but take a look at 6hr precip totals from hour precip totals from hour 30-54, you will see moderate precip never really makes it more than 25-50 miles into PA. Those accumulations are the result of getting .1 inches of QPF over several 6 hour periods.

Hope it bumps north, because I think that is the only way there is significant accumulation.

Those totals over eastern PA look good, but you need to look at how you get there too I think. Those totals are accumulating over 24 hours, and getting .3 inches of QPF, in early march, with low ratios over a 24 hour period is likely not to add up to all that much accumulating snow.

its cold paweatherguy1 worry about your area......to say what you said prior is no true at all.

Interesting.

Well, I never got skunked in 09-10 from any of them. 4 in the Dec. one, 15 from the first Feb one and 9 from the second. If people want to throw around the early Feb 2010 stuff, I say go ahead. Do you remember what the models showed prior? I am thinking the snow came further north than modeled but I can't recall for sure.

I remember the evolution of the models coming north as we neared the Feb 5-6th event being similar to what's going on here, though I don't think the bullseye is going to come as far north with this one... as well as the other disclaimers like we probably won't get high end totals that approach that storm save for maybe some 20+ amounts in the Northern VA mountains. I went into that storm with a WSW for like 8-14 inches with the southern border counties being the bullseye and some of the very heavy bands ended up setting up just a bit further north giving me about 18" and other parts of Blair 20"+. Still though, the SREF has pretty hefty snow means for the southern tier.

post-1507-0-35436100-1362455631_thumb.pn

Guess the GFS isn't going to concur with higher QPF this run, def a lil drier but seems to be a similar looking track... not a disaster but it tightened its northern extent.

And I am not trying to troll anyone on here, honestly, but take a look at 6hr precip totals from hour precip totals from hour 30-54, you will see moderate precip never really makes it more than 25-50 miles into PA. Those accumulations are the result of getting .1 inches of QPF over several 6 hour periods.

Hope it bumps north, because I think that is the only way there is significant accumulation.

models have trended north all day...even the EURO what is your problem? why did NWS put a WSW for our area up? go to bed.

I agree paweatherguy, but our southernmost counties will be fine(Adams,Franklin etc.)

I agree with this, and if it bumps north, areas like Harrisburg and Lancaster will do fine as well, and push warning level. 

That total precip map is extremely deceiving. Getting .3-.5 inches QPF over a 18-24 hour period might be fine if you had 15 to 1 ratios and were sitting at 20 degrees, but when you are likely going to be sitting between 30-33 degrees, and have a long period of light snow, it will be very hard to get that to actually accumulate.

I can't speak for the eastern areas, but for SWPA / Ridges the 00z GFS is about 30-40 miles south with the northern extent of the heavier precip vs 18z (Essentially cuts some folks qpf in half). Storm seems to be a bit slower as well. The tight gradient exaggerates even the tiniest shift. Barring this being the start of an adjustment South I see no reason the next run couldn't bump north again.

Precip should start after dark. I see no problem

It honestly doesn't matter when the precip is falling...looking at the GFS verbatim, many are looking at those blues and greens and are saying "wow..that's going to be a good 3-6 inch event" but whn you break it down, and see that for most of the storm, any area north of york is in fairly light precip, but for an 18-24 hour period, you have to take that into consideration.

Archived