Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope, Part II

stormtracker

36hr looks like it would be  a big hit.

Wes, if you put 6z / 12z h5 side by side you can see it's a little more tightly wound and ridging a little sharper in front. I would assume this is why precip moved in faster? It's just a little more amped @ h5 and stronger overall. But a little more south so we're still wobbling around.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wes, if you put 6z / 12z h5 side by side you can see it's a little more tightly wound and ridging a little sharper in front. I would assume this is why precip moved in faster? It's just a little more amped @ h5 and stronger overall. 

VA may be the bullseye on this one, but I t hink we'll do ok  if you look at h5

We've been dissecting and discussing the SREF membership over and over again in our model evaluation group meetings.  The real issue seems to be related to the (unperturbed/base) initial conditions used within the SREF membership....i.e., all of the ARW members use one set, the NMM use another, and the NMMB a third (where the ICs are the RAP, GFS, and NAM ICs, IIRC).  I know that the complaints have been noted and folks are working on a better solution, but the membership as currently constructed does seem quite problematic as it results in extreme clustering.

good they have noticed this... the SREF could be a really excellent tool if they correct that problem.  As it is now, the ARW seem to skew things a lot.  It doesnt matter much for DC but if you were looking at the Philly area, using all the 21 SREF it looks like 15 of 21 give them significant precip...seems like good odds, but if you remove the ARW its only 6 of 14.  You would get a completely different projection picture from that. 

Archived