• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope, Part II

stormtracker

Is elevation gonna play a role at all? I mean, obviously the areas in VA that have a bit more elevation are going to cash it, that much is practically a lock... but what about other areas? I'm assuming it is going to start as rain then mix before a full changover, so with that said, I'd expect areas that have a little more elevation to change over quicker.

Or am I totally off base?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe dtk could answer this but I've noticed for a while on the sref that the arw members are always way too amped. We're talking nam on steroids. They throw off the whole sref mean. I ignore them and just look at the other 14 members but why hasn't ncep done something about this?

this isn't new. I remember the ARW being amped in 2010 as well. One thing I've noticed from the high res maps is they have a lot of spin ups... likely convection isn't paramaterized too well in that model

i hate to focus on it but high temps today and tomorrow will be what I will also watch.  I know i will be told it won't matter much what happens the day before but seeing a stronger amount of cold air in place before it starts can only help speed up any flip from mix to snow.

Luckily "warmth" will be shallow and the air mass is dry. 45 degrees won't mean much with low dews and below freezing just a few thousand feet up. 

Hard to tell. All the models look north at that point but then gfs/nam redevelop further north and move ene. Ggem uk and ec all continue the se momentum through redevelopment and shunt the precip shield more southeastward. We need the next frame to tell which way rgem goes. We will know at 12z.

i hate to focus on it but high temps today and tomorrow will be what I will also watch.  I know i will be told it won't matter much what happens the day before but seeing a stronger amount of cold air in place before it starts can only help speed up any flip from mix to snow.

It's probably unscientific, but I'll be impressed if high temps stay in the low 40s today where LWX says they will.  A full-sun day in March with temps 8-10F below climo suggests a respectable airmass.  

Is elevation gonna play a role at all? I mean, obviously the areas in VA that have a bit more elevation are going to cash it, that much is practically a lock... but what about other areas? I'm assuming it is going to start as rain then mix before a full changover, so with that said, I'd expect areas that have a little more elevation to change over quicker.

Or am I totally off base?

I think elevation always helps.  In those rarer and rarer cases where everyone is in the low-mid 20s for a big snowstorm, then it doesn't matter too much, but in this situation with surface temps hanging in the 31-35F range, it probably will help.  I could see a pretty wildly variable looking accumulation map coming out of this storm, especially if we get some convective banding in the deform zone.  

Maybe not-- and of course I see it otherwise. The Euro is about that lattitude and the GGEM is pretty cold on the backside, like it's ramping up pretty quickly. The EC pretty much runs due east 20 miles south of the VA border. 

7H RH map on the bottom left shows high RH ready to rotate into DCA/BWI area, which is similar to NAM and GFS

I don't really know what it does to your area, but it definitely looks decent up here

I think elevation always helps.  In those rarer and rarer cases where everyone is in the low-mid 20s for a big snowstorm, then it doesn't matter too much, but in this situation with surface temps hanging in the 31-35F range, it probably will help.  I could see a pretty wildly variable looking accumulation map coming out of this storm, especially if we get some convective banding in the deform zone.  

Thanks. I figured every bit helps. Definitely a cold morning today, but like you said it will be interesting to see how warm it actually gets today/tomorrow. Like H2O said, many of us will be watching temps tomorrow

7H RH map on the bottom left shows high RH ready to rotate into DCA/BWI area, which is similar to NAM and GFS

I don't really know what it does to your area, but it definitely looks decent up here

But, the Ec has an inch of QPF, it's not like it won't show good RH,

My take-- it's chaning to snow quickly on the backside-- that's a more amped solution earlier, ala the euro. Maybe that's a wish cast. 

Thanks. I figured every bit helps. Definitely a cold morning today, but like you said it will be interesting to see how warm it actually gets today/tomorrow. Like H2O said, many of us will be watching temps tomorrow

Somewhat of an apples and oranges exercise to compare the 1940's to today's world, but in the four days prior to DCA's max March snowfall of 11.5 on 3/29/42, the high temps were 61, 60, 58 and 46

6z GFS is another Winchester bullseye. Euro is not bad out here either. It looks like The Northern Shenandoah Valley is getting a foot of snow regardless of which solution verifies. Odd that 2 totally different solutions still hammer this area so hard.

Agreed.  I would say I-81 from Woodstock to Martinsburg and east to Paris Mountain and south to Front Royal on Chester Gap will be hammered.  12+ is very likely.

Maybe dtk could answer this but I've noticed for a while on the sref that the arw members are always way too amped. We're talking nam on steroids. They throw off the whole sref mean. I ignore them and just look at the other 14 members but why hasn't ncep done something about this?

We've been dissecting and discussing the SREF membership over and over again in our model evaluation group meetings.  The real issue seems to be related to the (unperturbed/base) initial conditions used within the SREF membership....i.e., all of the ARW members use one set, the NMM use another, and the NMMB a third (where the ICs are the RAP, GFS, and NAM ICs, IIRC).  I know that the complaints have been noted and folks are working on a better solution, but the membership as currently constructed does seem quite problematic as it results in extreme clustering.

Archived