• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

Our local NWS office seems to think so ...STRONG NLY WINDS POSSIBLE ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE COASTAL LOW WED

AFTN AND NGT. POWER OUTAGES WOULD CERTAINLY BE A CONCERN IN AREASTHAT RECEIVE HVY WET SNOW.

Pepco FTL!!! Seriously though, this concern has been in the back of my mind with this storm if it shapes up as it looks now. Commutageddon had little wind but that heavy, wet snow caused wide-spread outages. My power was out for 2 days, and I felt lucky. Some people were out for a week. I can only imagine what strong winds would add. Now, maybe we'll have a bit less of a problem since the derecho on June 30 pretty well took out a lot of weak/rotting trees and Pepco actually did some pruning and the like after bad publicity (well deserved). We didn't lose power during Sandy, which seemed amazing, but maybe it was true that the derecho actually helped things out in that regard.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS gets bashed alot but according to the model, the storm starts in about 48 hours. Arnt we in the GFS wheelhouse? its a pretty damn good model out to 60 right?

Outside of the EC the first to note a north trend 120-144 hrs out, the GFS/GEFS have led the charge here. Could be a feather in the cap for the Global Forecast System, which overall has done well this winter from a verification standpoint.

our trees have been so pruned and battered recently im not sure im that worried about massive outages.. but maybe im not thinking about it right. i don't think there were tons jan 2011?

our trees have been so pruned and battered recently im not sure im that worried about massive outages.. but maybe im not thinking about it right. i don't think there were tons jan 2011?

I lost power for 4 days in Jan 2011 (that was the final straw for my dad getting a generator lol). 

There were a good amount of trees down in my neighborhood tho maybe it was fairly localized. 

Not as many outages as the derecho, but I thought it was pretty bad in the metro area.  And yes, trees have been quite pruned in the last year or so, maybe that will actually help!

I lost power for 4 days in Jan 2011 (that was the final straw for my dad getting a generator lol).

There were a good amount of trees down in my neighborhood tho maybe it was fairly localized.

Now that I think about it I remember Kevin takin pics of downed trees in the suburbs. There were plenty snowmageddon too. It's not exactly the same as wind stress so maybe im overestimating our nature made preparedness with quite a few in the last year. At least it's been cold so leaves aren't popping.

Didn't 1/26/11 happen very quickly? I seem to remember that being a fast mover. I like your high end of 6-10, but with that last GFS run, I'd say 10-14

10-14 on the low end, right?? There's reasonable model agreement on 1.75"+ QPF at DCA. Even after adjusting for ratios, melting and a bit of rain, wouldn't the coastal plain get at least 12-15 inches (at a minimum) on 1.75" liquid??

Now that I think about it I remember Kevin takin pics of downed trees in the suburbs. There were plenty snowmageddon too. It's not exactly the same as wind stress so maybe im overestimating our nature made preparedness with quite a few in the last year.

We have some pine trees around here that got shredded from Snowmageddon and especially Commutageddon.  Surprised they're still standing.  There were also some crepe myrtles that got split apart during Jan. 2011.

10-14 on the low end, right?? There's reasonable model agreement on 1.75"+ QPF at DCA. Even after adjusting for ratios, melting and a bit of rain, wouldn't the coastal plain get at least 12-15 inches (at a minimum) on 1.75" liquid??

I'm sure someone can find what liquid equivalent precip fell in DC on 1/26/11.  I remember similar NAM/GFS runs before that storm to what we are looking at now (blues and purples).  We finished with around 6 inches in NW.  I think 10-14 inches is a big number. If I was forecasting from just the GFS I'd go 5-10 inches in DC.

I was using the 2.22" from the info posted earlier, then using a 5-1 low-end ratio and 7-1 high-end.

Edit: 2.2 inches from Swimmatte's post earlier.

Jan 2011 was tough on the trees. We had 14 inches here and many of the cypresses folks use to line their property were wrecked. I don't think that one had much wind, though.

Now that I think about it I remember Kevin takin pics of downed trees in the suburbs. There were plenty snowmageddon too. It's not exactly the same as wind stress so maybe im overestimating our nature made preparedness with quite a few in the last year. At least it's been cold so leaves aren't popping.

Yeah, what gets you are the pines that end up mega-drooping.

I'm sure someone can find what liquid equivalent precip fell in DC on 1/26/11.  I remember similar NAM/GFS runs before that storm to what we are looking at now (blues and purples).  We finished with around 6 inches in NW.

In that storm, DCA (IAD) received 5.0 (7.3) inches of snow and ice, and 1.52 (1.31) inches of precipitation. At my home in the Oak Hill zip code of Herndon, we lost power from about 7 P.M. on Wednesday to 1:00 A.M on Thursday.

18Z NAM is just about all snow at BWI and GFS is, unlike 12Z runs

we keep getting wetter and colder

I'm trying to remember what was my cause of death yesterday because this doesn't seem real

Good to see you back from the dead.  We need you!

Archived